Wrestling

Rich

27 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

omega naito.gif

Oh my god, they killed Kenny!  **said in a Joey Styles voice**

I finished watching his last 2 matches of the G1 and they were fantastic (especially 2 semi-finals with Naito). Now he has to stayed undefeated until January!

i didnt catch the Naito one yet but watched Goto live.  Just about a perfect match.  Funny seeing people loving the fact he cut a promo in japanese since he has been speaking Japanese for ages (just not on TV).  He brought a female worker from japan here last year and they were speaking Japanese to each other.  heard many people say the Naito match was even better.

Now....will they put the World Championship on him...?  Thats the question.  Tokyo Dome - IWGP Championship.  Ill see him next week (hes in town for our show on August 27th at Doubles Bar) and will bug him for info but he usually plays booking scenarios pretty close to his vest. 

Of the 2, the match with Naito was better (imo) but both were great.  I liked Kenny using some of Balor, Styles, & Ibushi's moves against Goto though, it was a nice nod to the former leaders of Bullet Club and his former partner.  

He's cut promos in Japanese before so it wasn't a shock to me, maybe just people who haven't followed him that closely?

50 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Of the 2, the match with Naito was better (imo) but both were great.  I liked Kenny using some of Balor, Styles, & Ibushi's moves against Goto though, it was a nice nod to the former leaders of Bullet Club and his former partner.  

He's cut promos in Japanese before so it wasn't a shock to me, maybe just people who haven't followed him that closely?

He tweeted out something before the final - I cant recall off the top of my head but something about past leaders so it was a cool sense of continuity when he used all their finishers, Goto kicked out and eventually lost to Kenny's finisher.  Sort of subtly saying he's surpassed them.

I listened to Meltzer discuss it and he had not always been a huge Omega fan in the past but he said who is better then Kenny right now, anywhere in the world?  He said Kenny is the best wrestler in the world right now and has surpassed AJ Styles.  He actually even mentioned HBK ten years ago and Kobashi when talking about him so he's high on him now!

A lot of debate about whether Omega stays with New Japan another year or not.  The IWGP title might be the enticement to keep him a bit longer.

Interersting interview with Daniel Bryan by the interestingly named Brockville Times

Along with saying he basically had a mental breakdown while filming Total Bellas at John Cena's house (the show with the whole Bella family including new Patriarch Johnny Ace live together for several weeks), he said this:

The former WWE World Heavyweight Champion retired on Raw in his home state of Washington earlier this year after a career-long history with concussions and other head injuries led to him not being cleared by WWE's medical staff.

Bryan looked for outside opinions prior to his retirement and was cleared by the doctors he sought. But a newer test that hasn’t been peer reviewed showed that his condition might not be as good as other tests indicated. After that test result, it was suggested that Bryan announce his retirement.

But when asked if he's come to terms with it, Bryan didn't sound like he has fully moved on from his in-ring career.

"It's interesting because I guess the real answer is no, but it's weird,” Bryan said. “I don't necessarily agree that there's something wrong with me, right. The whole issue with concussions is so subjective.”

“It's this heart-wrenching thing,” Bryan said. “It's tough because we all get just this one life, right? And when you find something that you love as much as I love wrestling and then they tell you that you can't do it anymore, it becomes really, really tough. And then it becomes really, really tough when now you're around it every week. It's just seeing your friends be able to go out there and do it and then you still can't do it. It's one of those things. I guess I kind of accept it, but I have a certain amount of melancholy with it."

My feeling at the time was that Bryan was essentially being held hostage by WWE, which he was as he had asked for his release (if you're not going to let me wrestle, release me so I can wrestle somewhere else) and WWE refused.  They also told him theyd trigger the injury roll over clause in his contract meaning if you have two years left but are hurt, they can add the entire length of the injury to the end of the deal and essentially keep Bryan under contract forever...although he'd likely win if he fought it legally.

I still think he will consider wrestling again when his deal is up.  Now that he's on-air, he's not on injury rollover (I dont think) so his deal expires when it expires.  I think it would be hard for him not to go to ROH or New Japan for a few big time matches.  Unless Brie talks him out of it.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

He tweeted out something before the final - I cant recall off the top of my head but something about past leaders so it was a cool sense of continuity when he used all their finishers, Goto kicked out and eventually lost to Kenny's finisher.  Sort of subtly saying he's surpassed them.

I listened to Meltzer discuss it and he had not always been a huge Omega fan in the past but he said who is better then Kenny right now, anywhere in the world?  He said Kenny is the best wrestler in the world right now and has surpassed AJ Styles.  He actually even mentioned HBK ten years ago and Kobashi when talking about him so he's high on him now!

A lot of debate about whether Omega stays with New Japan another year or not.  The IWGP title might be the enticement to keep him a bit longer.

Balor looks like he might agree with this.  He posted a congrats message to Kenny, saying he's not just carrying the torch for the Bullet club but he's raising the bar.

I wonder what Jim Cornette thinks of Kenny now? :D

9 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Balor looks like he might agree with this.  He posted a congrats message to Kenny, saying he's not just carrying the torch for the Bullet club but he's raising the bar.

I wonder what Jim Cornette thinks of Kenny now? :D

Cornette is such a gimmick.  He was burying the Bucks and then asked to work an angle with them and they said no.  So I think its just him working his own angle.  You'd have to be really clueless to bury Kenny's talent.  And Cornette is no dummy.  Its even one thing to say "I hate the comedy stuff, I hate wrestling little girls and blow up dolls, but he's the best talent in the world".  Personally, I could take or leave the blow up stuff but I though the 9 year old girl match was a great showcase of how talented Kenny is...and the trust the promoter had in him (I believe it was the booker's daughter).

Give it a couple of years and Omega will be main eventing WWE (maybe longer...whenever he wants really).  Vs Balor, vs Styles, vs Seth...will all be great.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Paige. Del rio. Eva. All suspended for wellness. 

Lol. 3 who cares really.  Paige has become just a gongshow. Del Rio is a joke and Eva?  Rumor going around that she didn't fail but actually botched the test 

Jericho confronts Brock (shoot)

from Meltzer:

The ending of the Randy Orton vs. Brock Lesnar SummerSlam match, which went pretty much as planned, led to a verbal and somewhat physical confrontation between Lesnar and Chris Jericho last night.

According to multiple sources, Jericho came to the gorilla position just as the match ended, apparently to see if Orton was okay and to find out what exactly happened. He asked Michael Hayes what the finish was or if that was the finish. Hayes wouldn't answer him at which point Jericho said, "That's bullsh*t."

Jericho said that just as Lesnar came back from the ring. Lesnar thought he was talking about his match, and called Jericho a ***** according to one version, or "shut up" according to another, and to mind his own business. The two got face-to-face and started exchanging words, with one version saying they were shouting at each other the whole time.

Lesnar pushed Jericho with his fingers, and Jericho did what was described as the "Rousey-Tate" foreheed press. One version also had Jericho shoving Lesnar to the wall at one point.

They got tangled up against the wall and Lesnar told Jericho to punch him or kiss him. Paul "HHH" Levesque jumped in quickly and broke it up. It was heated enough that they went back at it at which time Vince McMahon broke it up. Jericho started yelling about Lesnar and McMahon told Jericho that it was all a work and to be professional.

Levesque reportedly told McMahon that Lesnar started it, and Jericho was just standing up for himself but there were more words exchanged.

Jericho saw Orton and got mad, which everyone noted was because he was concerned with Orton's health and safety. Orton reportedly assured him that he knew the way everything was coming.

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

Raw was just painful to watch. It's at the point where I think they are trying to bore and piss ppl off. 

Yeah, its tough.  three hours is too much.  And their PPV's are way too long now that they do over-runs and pre-shows on the Network.

More details about Jericho/Brock which is somewhat amusing:

We’re told Chris was repeatedly asking for clarification from everyone in the Gorilla position, but wasn’t getting answers because backstage footage was still being shot by crew members.

Brock, however, heard Jericho say this was “bullsh*t” and loudly told the longtime wrestler that this was none of his business. That set Y2J off and he continued asking questions, causing Lesnar to push him. When that happened, Jericho rushed in and tried getting face-to-face with The Beast.

We’re told Brock kissed him on the forehead at that point … then said, “kiss me back, p*ssy.”

Our sources say Jericho didn’t back down though! He actually stepped up and got in Lesnar’s face, ready to fight. But Brock responded, with his arms behind his back, saying “hit me or kiss me, *****” … causing everyone in the area to swarm in and break them apart, including Triple H.

Things didn’t calm down though, and Vince McMahon eventually rushed in to usher Brock away, while yelling at Chris to be more professional. Jericho fired back at his boss, saying Lesnar was the unprofessional one who started “shooting” on his co-worker … to which Vince replied, “It’s a work! What’s wrong with you?!” implying the blood job was planned in some way.

Shortly after, the two sides went their separate ways backstage.

My initial thought was that Orton bladed and then Lesnar used his elbow to open up the gash.  To me it looked like Lesnar was aiming for a specific spot with his elbow, hit once, it didn't work, so he struck again.  I believe blading first would allow more control over the size of the cut rather than just ordering Lesnar to split Orton's head with his elbow alone.  Does that make sense to you, TUP?  Is that how it may have went down?

I think he busted him legit open. Planned without blading. Think might have been more blood than they expected tho. That first elbow Orton had his hands up blocking it... the second one he didn't. It busted him open the hard way. It was planned for sure 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I think he busted him legit open. Planned without blading. Think might have been more blood than they expected tho. That first elbow Orton had his hands up blocking it... the second one he didn't. It busted him open the hard way. It was planned for sure 

That just seems so unlikely to me, with all the issues surrounding concussions and head injuries, that you would order a wrestler to take a couple stiff elbows to the head unprotected.  Blading first would make it so Lesnar didn't have to hit as hard.

I dunno. That cut Orton had didn't really look like a blade job. Looked like a legit cut.  Almost 2 big to be a blade job. That 2nd elbow legit caught him tho. Can see it on replay for sure. Got Orton pretty Damn good 

Edited by Goalie