Random News Items

Rich

@Mark H.

"American pig farmers are losing so much money that some may soon start selling the corn they would normally use to feed animals, according to the world’s largest hog producer.

It’s a sign that producers will soon take steps to shrink their herds, with growers losing as much as $80 a head, said Shane Smith, chief executive officer of Smithfield Foods. Demand from top buyer China is waning as the cost to feed animals is surging.

A drought in the Midwest has deteriorated crops, with corn at its worst conditions for this time of year since 1992. That’s squeezing profits and making it more appealing for growers to sell the grain, which has risen more than 20% from its May lows.

“There’s a concentration of people in the industry who grow their own corn, they grow their corn and they feed it to the animal,” he said in an interview Wednesday at the Wall Street Journal’s Global Food Forum in Chicago. “They’re going to have to make a decision. Do I sell my corn and just forget about the animal?”

US growers usually only start shrinking herds when they face cash flow losses, and that is already happening, Smith said. He declined to comment on whether Smithfield, owned by Hong Kong-listed WH Group, is planning to cut back as well.

The US meat market is facing a glut that may take until the end of next year and into 2025 to normalize, he said. That’s all happening just as only 55% of the US corn crop was rated good to excellent, the lowest for this time of year in more than three decades, according to data from the US Department of Agriculture. "

Bloomberg

"a glut" 😂

not based on retail price. 

farmers and consumers squeezed.  as usual. 

happenwd with cattle in manitoba a while ago, drought,  herds sold off cheap, price to consumer unaffected.

system is wonky.

Edited by Mark F

58 minutes ago, Mark F said:

@Mark H.

"American pig farmers are losing so much money that some may soon start selling the corn they would normally use to feed animals, according to the world’s largest hog producer.

Big players in the Canadian Hog industry are shrinking their herds: Olymel, Hylife, etc.  I doubt Maple Leaf will be far behind

Most producers are assuming they won't turn a profit this year

There is a report that US underwater listening posts recorded a noise consistent with an implosion at the same moment communication with the submersible was lost, so they really knew it was lost, but went through the motions anyways as a display.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

There is a report that US underwater listening posts recorded a noise consistent with an implosion at the same moment communication with the submersible was lost, so they really knew it was lost, but went through the motions anyways as a display.

Pretty cruel of them not to come forward with that information earlier, but I guess in reality they couldn't be 100% positive the noise they picked up was from the sub imploding.

49 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Pretty cruel of them not to come forward with that information earlier, but I guess in reality they couldn't be 100% positive the noise they picked up was from the sub imploding.

When you put the two events together, it was pretty much 100% certain. But I guess they had to show the bodies and/or wreckage.

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

How badly smushed up are the bodies to only be called “presumed” human remains? What else would it be? Don’t imagine they took pets on board with them. 

I thought for sure they would have been scattered if it imploded

Tough Love?

Florida Cops Reportedly Jailed 3-Year-Old Over Potty Training Problems

Two Florida police officers are under investigation after one of the cops admitted to putting their 3-year-old son in jail over potty training issues last year, according to The Daytona Beach News-Journal.

Daytona Beach Shores Lt. Michael Schoenbrod told a Department of Children and Families caseworker that his son was “having difficulty” with toilet training and was jailed “on successive days” in October.
“He was crying. I was getting the response I expected from him,” said Schoenbrod, as captured on body camera footage by a Volusia County Sheriff’s Office deputy.

The officer’s son was reportedly handcuffed the second time he was jailed.

Schoenbrod said he’d also put his other child in jail. He told the caseworker that he did something similar with his then-4-year-old son after he hit a girl and was “misbehaving” at preschool, the News-Journal reported.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/florida-police-officer-son-jail-report_n_649d4003e4b0dcb22c4334c1

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Man, Vegas just does everything that much cooler than anywhere else. Can’t wait until Christmas when they turn it into a big snow globe.

Apparently the entire inside is also a video screen and speaker system. U2 is in residence there from September - December (minus Larry Mullen Jr) for 25 concerts re-playing their Achtung Baby album. Ticket prices are obscene. 

On 2023-07-07 at 2:38 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Man, Vegas just does everything that much cooler than anywhere else. Can’t wait until Christmas when they turn it into a big snow globe.

Apparently the entire inside is also a video screen and speaker system. U2 is in residence there from September - December (minus Larry Mullen Jr) for 25 concerts re-playing their Achtung Baby album. Ticket prices are obscene. 

Rumors are wwe is looking to book a show there. Imagine that. Wrestling fan or not,  would be Hella cool