Random News Items

Rich

Earlier this month, a group of battery researchers at Dalhousie University, which has an exclusive agreement with Tesla, published a paper in The Journal of the Electrochemical Society describing a lithium-ion battery that “should be able to power an electric vehicle for over 1 million miles” while losing less than 10 percent of its energy capacity during its lifetime.

What’s interesting, though, is that the authors don’t herald the results as a breakthrough. Rather, they present it as a benchmark for other battery researchers. And they don’t skimp on the specifics.

“Full details of these cells including electrode compositions, electrode loadings, electrolyte compositions, additives used, etc. have been provided,” Dahn and his colleagues wrote in the paper. “This has been done so that others can recreate these cells and use them as benchmarks for their own R+D efforts.”

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-may-soon-have-a-battery-that-can-last-a-million-miles

32 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

In 15-20 years feel like much of the GHG discussion will be put to rest with the advancements they are making in battery technology. It really is the last step in a transition to electric vehicles. 

Transition is happening right now, I notice a couple of Teslas every day because they're the most recognizable EV, other brands are not as identifiable but they're out there.  This is the  front edge of the wedge, within 5 years I wouldn't be surprised if around 20-30% of new car sales are electric.....and I'll be one of them.

58 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Transition is happening right now, I notice a couple of Teslas every day because they're the most recognizable EV, other brands are not as identifiable but they're out there.  This is the  front edge of the wedge, within 5 years I wouldn't be surprised if around 20-30% of new car sales are electric.....and I'll be one of them.

Once they cost around the same, it will be over for ice cars.

electric motor is superior in every way. 

Also , end of the oiligarchy.

it might happen fast once it’s rolling.

Edited by Mark F

On 2019-09-20 at 2:25 PM, bigg jay said:

Hey, at least I was riding a bike and not driving my car errr I mean it wasn't me I swear!  Drunken biking with cheesy nachos is more of a Sunday night Brandon activity anyways. 😃

I'm not sure where to put this but...

Star Wars melded with Le Creuset, and the pans are perfect for porg roast - CNET

ls2011-33120hs-2_2_2.1570198577.jpg

There's a Han Solo frozen carbonite roaster and now I want to bake a sarlacc.

https://www.cnet.com/news/star-wars-melded-with-le-creuset-and-the-pans-are-perfect-for-porg-roast/

The pan above is $500 and available for pre-order now on the La Creuset website. 

set-mini-cocottes-v3_2.1570198712.jpg

ls2501-2631dvsb_03_2.1570197777.jpg

Edited by JCon

On 2019-09-23 at 12:44 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If they can make it so I can drive to Vancouver or Seattle in day like I do now, if charging a battery can be done in 15 minutes & the prices come sown to being actually affordable, then sure. If not, they won't sell.  Why would I pay $60,000 for an EV when I could buy the same car powered by an ICE that is half the price?