Random News Items

Rich

24 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

What I expect...

Mountain rumbled again today.

Leaders say nothing to worry about.

Priest wants us to pray more.

Radical teacher said it was going to kill us all. Told us all to leave. Soldiers arrested him. Public stoned him to death.

More rumblingsfrom mountain.

On 2019-10-05 at 6:03 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

If they can make it so I can drive to Vancouver or Seattle in day like I do now, if charging a battery can be done in 15 minutes & the prices come sown to being actually affordable, then sure. If not, they won't sell.  Why would I pay $60,000 for an EV when I could buy the same car powered by an ICE that is half the price?

The new Tesla charging station can get you a 500 mile charge in about 18 min. 

25 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My limit is $30-32,000 if I was looking. Just paid off my car in 2018 so I am enjoying some debt relief. Besides, I'm sliding into retirement the next 5 years so I doubt that I'll ever get another car loan. 

https://www.caa.ca/electric-vehicles/government-incentives/

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My limit is $30-32,000 if I was looking. Just paid off my car in 2018 so I am enjoying some debt relief. Besides, I'm sliding into retirement the next 5 years so I doubt that I'll ever get another car loan. 

Based on this, I would recommend a Toyota Corolla for your next car. Upon your retirement, you need to have your turn signal locked into the "on" position. It helps everyone identify you as a retiree. People will pass you and salute you and your retirement. The you're number one salute! 

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Canadian-born scientist James Peebles is one of three researchers who have won this year's Nobel Prize in Physics for their contributions to the understanding of the evolution of the universe and Earth's place within it.

Winnipeg born. 

12 hours ago, JCon said:

Based on this, I would recommend a Toyota Corolla for your next car. Upon your retirement, you need to have your turn signal locked into the "on" position. It helps everyone identify you as a retiree. People will pass you and salute you and your retirement. The you're number one salute! 

I plan to buy a fedora. I'll wear it when I drive going 15 kph under the speed limit. Or when I do my 2 block long lane changes. Yep, when I retire I'll finally have the time to triple my post count here. 😉

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I plan to buy a fedora. I'll wear it when I drive going 15 kph under the speed limit. Or when I do my 2 block long lane changes. Yep, when I retire I'll finally have the time to triple my post count here. 😉

Make sure you slouch down in your seat so only the top of your hat is visible above the dash board.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Sounds like your ready for retirement. Godspeed. 

Alberta eases safety rules issued in wake of Humboldt bus crash

Alberta has relaxed safety requirements for newly licensed semi-truck drivers and bus operators, a move that will allow hundreds of drivers to bypass rigorous training and testing standards implemented after the Humboldt Broncos bus crash.

The province’s United Conservative government will allow some new truckers and bus drivers who were exempt from Alberta’s new training program for rookie operators to keep their licences without having to, eventually, pass stricter road and knowledge tests, if they have clean driving records. The change applies to farm employees who recently obtained Class 1 licences to drive transport trucks for agricultural purposes and new Class 2 drivers exclusively operating school buses. It also applies to anyone who received either category of licence in the six months before the new rules took effect in March.

The changes come amid a larger debate about the trucking industry and safety standards, particularly as it relates to new commercial-truck drivers. A Globe and Mail investigation published Oct. 5 revealed how some companies are using untrained temporary foreign workers as drivers, putting lives at risk across the country.

The Globe reported in September that Alberta’s government was considering relaxing requirements for truckers in the agricultural industry, which argues that its drivers are travelling comparably short distances and should not be subject to the same rules as commercial long-haul operators.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/alberta/article-alberta-eases-safety-requirements-for-newly-licensed-semi-truck-and/

A man who spent 10 years in prison for the 1984 abduction and death of 13-year-old Candace Derksen is suing the province and Winnipeg police for wrongful conviction and imprisonment.

In a lawsuit filed Wednesday, Mark Grant, 55, accuses police of conducting a negligent investigation and Manitoba justice officials of malicious prosecution. Grant is suing for $8.5 million in damages.