We be tankin' it (official tanking thread) ...

IC Khari

47 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

someone was just tweeting, that next year they should put all 14 non-playoff teams in a lottery for 1st, stop rewarding failure.  

it seems rather insane that its either make the playoffs or tank mentality. I'd be in favor of this 

as the Oilers have proven though, when teams are really bad they really benefit from getting a lot of first overall or near first overall draft picks to help them climb out of the cella....oh forget it. 

Here's what Ken Hodge proposes...

I have long believed that the only solution to tanking is a random draw, minus odds, for the number-one draft position, with all 14 non-playoff teams eligible. I must concede that widespread support for this idea has not been forthcoming.

So here’s another one.

The day after the trade deadline, the NHL takes the teams sitting in positions 26-30, using points per game to balance the totals, and awards those teams the first five spots in the draft, with the order to be determined. By a lottery? No, by their performance during the rest of the season.

And here’s the kicker; the number-one draft position goes to the team, among those five, that gains the most points, not the fewest. In other words, games in March and April involving those five teams would reward success, not failure. Imagine an 82nd game of the season between the Leafs and the Oilers, with no points separating them, and the best odds on Auston Matthews awaiting the winner.

Further details are available upon request, but the current lottery system, or, preferably, my unweighted version, would be used to determine draft order beyond the fifth position. Should you worry that a team might maneuver its way into the bottom five just prior to the trade deadline, I admire your attention to detail here, and offer, yet again, the hat with 14 teams in it.

Isn't the risk in the current system where all non playoff teams have a shot at #1 crating more likelihood of tanking?  What if you're a bubble team with a chance to sneak into the playoffs where chances are you're going to get killed or get a lottery ticket for first over all?  What incentive is tjere to try and sneak in?  Besides money that comes with hosting two games?

has the new format stopped TO from making trades that are helping them lose?

50 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yup. Integrity of the game right there. Leafs aren't even pretending not to be tanking. Word is a goalie is gone right away and Kadri too 

Too many Leafs regimes tried to salvage wreckage...  needed to be torn apart long time ago