We be tankin' it (official tanking thread) ...

IC Khari

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Honestly, I think they'd rather not have the pressure of HAVING to take Matthews....get the 4th or 5th overall and take Chychrun (who they need) guilt free...

I think you're probably wrong. I'd gladly swallow my pride to pick the best player in the draft. Maybe throw the other GM's a crotch chop from the stage just to rub it in.

Plus, then they can trade one of their other 18 1st overall picks for a legit dman, rather than hoping they can draft one.

I'm not convinced they don't trade their 1st, even if it IS the #1 overall. If someone gave them a game-ready-now D Man (not saying anyone would, but IF) like...sayyyy.....Subban, Hedman, Karlsson, Ekblad.......someone young, but will be a stud #1 D for them for 15 years.......I'd make that trade. 

Teams aren't gonna trade their #1 d men for that pick. That's reality, the best the Oilers could hope for would be a guy like Trouba or Reilly or something like that and even then I doubt those teams trade those guys. Teams aren't in the business of helping the Oilers out. 

8 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

No tanked this year like the Leafs. Not even close. Hope they burn in the lottery.

They've been somewhat competitive with McDavid in the lineup.  Wonder if they'd be this close to the bottom if he stayed healthy? Not saying playoff spot, but more like VAN/CLB/MTL - not making the playoffs, and not bad enough for top 5 pick. Aka the 2011-2014 Jets.

They are 11 and 18 with McDavid in the line up I believe. Still not good enough. 1 player doesn't make a difference at all. Penguins finished 1 point out of last place with Crosby in his rookie year. Good players can play on bad teams. And that's the keyword here, Team, McDavid is just 1 guy. 

Tkachuk won't be a JET. 

He's not needed and really he isn't even that good. There are 5 or 6 maybe 7 guys who are probably ahead of him right now in terms of who the Jets would draft instead. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

They'd be a lot better for sure but D/goalie still week for EDM.

Goalie is fine...just the D that's a mess, and even then, it's more injuries than anything. Eberle hurt, then Yakupov, Klefbom, and McJesus, then RNH. Haven't iced a full healthy roster all year. D is still a mess, but without Klefbom, it's been way worse than it should be. Looking at next year, Klefbom, Nurse, Davidson and maybe Sekera....that's a good start. And they'll get some real important pieces between now and then. That, combined with a fully healthy roster to start next season, will make them a lot closer to a playoff team...

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Teams aren't gonna trade their #1 d men for that pick. That's reality, the best the Oilers could hope for would be a guy like Trouba or Reilly or something like that and even then I doubt those teams trade those guys. Teams aren't in the business of helping the Oilers out. 

it's not about "helping the Oilers"...it's about getting Austin Mathews. A generational player like McDavid. I think a team might be stupid enough to get rid of a stud D for a guy like Mathews...

I don't think so. The Oilers won't even be picking 1st overall so it's pointless to talk of this right now.

Oilers will go on a bit of a run right now cuz that's what they do near the end of the season and will end up picking around 4 or 5 probably. 

Nobody knows where anyone is going to pick with the lottery. TO has the best chance of finishing last.

I thought we had the worst schedule in the league to finish off the season with 21 games in 40 nights with a back to back but the Leafs play 21 games in 40 nights with 4 back to backs!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

it's not about "helping the Oilers"...it's about getting Austin Mathews. A generational player like McDavid. I think a team might be stupid enough to get rid of a stud D for a guy like Mathews...

I think the value of that pick is closer to what you're saying than Goalie, except for Karlsson, who I don't think I'd trade for anybody in the league other than McDavid.

Morgan Reilly or Jacob Trouba aren't going to get you the 1st overall pick.

If Edmonton won the lottery Arizona might offer OEL for the chance to draft Mathews, they probably need to add there first to make it happen would it happen maybe maybe not, but Arizona needs that potential superstar kinda homegrown talent and Edmonton really need a 1 D. If we win the lottery that kid is going nowhere.

Why do you think Tkachuk is good? Cuz his dad was? He's not his dad. There are about 6 or 7 guys who the jets would take ahead of Tkachuk.  He's also a lw and with Ehlers Connor Perreault Lemieux.. he's not really needed. I wouldn't be happy if a d man or dubois were there with Tkachuk when we picked and we took him. He's not Keith.  He's a lw that isn't needed. If his name was Matthew Black would you still want him? 

Edited by Goalie

21 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Why do you think Tkachuk is good? Cuz his dad was? He's not his dad. There are about 6 or 7 guys who the jets would take ahead of Tkachuk.  He's also a lw and with Ehlers Connor Perreault Lemieux.. he's not really needed. I wouldn't be happy if a d man or dubois were there with Tkachuk when we picked and we took him. He's not Keith.  He's a lw that isn't needed. If his name was Matthew Black would you still want him? 

Since when does this team not need a left wing... and since when is Tkachuk not that good...  let me guess, you're one of those - he's rated better because of who he plays with guys... except everyone he plays with, performs better when he's there...

He's top five in OHL scoring and top three in assists

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler

Connor-Little-Armia

Tkachuk-Lowry-Dano

Lemieux-Copp-Harkins