Bombers "close to" deal with Dressler

Mike

13 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I wonder what the info. is that Dress needs....I'm going to use the 'friendly' handle for him as it appears we definitely have our foot in the door with this signing, as opposed to a foot in our mouth...Sounds like a contract could get done very soon,as long as the information he needs is forthcoming.......signed cautiously optimistic.

The info he needs is "Will anyone else give me more money?"

3 hours ago, gcn11 said:

Not sure how that could be? The kitchen is literally right in the middle of the boxes. It couldn't possibly be placed any better for them in my estimation. I have frequented the odd game in the boxes and the food service was excellent.

3 hours ago, gcn11 said:

Not sure how that could be? The kitchen is literally right in the middle of the boxes. It couldn't possibly be placed any better for them in my estimation. I have frequented the odd game in the boxes and the food service was excellent.

The kitchen is in the basement. Far away from where the food is needed except dressing room. It is probably too close to the dressing room. Those kinds get really hungry at training camp. 

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It's not still Ritz Foods, is it?

It was Ovations last year. Now named Spectra.  It is a huge company owned by Comcast in US. It caters to many stadiums in North America.  My daughter doesn't work there anymore so I don't know what current situation is but I doubt location of kitchen has changed. 

Edited by Fan Boy

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The info he needs is "Will anyone else give me more money?"

He probably needs to know if he can be on the potato chip bags again. I know I was impressed when I saw the All Dressed  chips although the greeness of the bag was off-putting. 

38 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I wonder what the info. is that Dress needs....I'm going to use the 'friendly' handle for him as it appears we definitely have our foot in the door with this signing, as opposed to a foot in our mouth...Sounds like a contract could get done very soon,as long as the information he needs is forthcoming.......signed cautiously optimistic.

Don't say that or Iso's going to throw a fit for you sending the wrong message and getting his hopes up!

8 hours ago, Atomic said:

Is it?  Who else did we miss out on?

There's salary, city, and team.  We can compete on salary.  City?  Well, Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto will naturally have the edge.  Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa are probably more appealing to the outsider as well.  As for the team?  We've missed the playoffs 6 of the last 7 years.

Doesn't take a PhD to figure out why players with options might be reluctant to sign here.

Winnipeg beats out all of those cities with cost of living. Average rent, for instance, is almost $200 cheaper in Winnipeg than the next closest CFL city. Cost of living index (which factors in all sorts of things) puts Winnipeg as one of the lowest in Canada, and again ahead of every CFL city. When you're an American earning Canadian $$ (or just any CFLer making a reasonable but not great salary), cost of living definitely matters as much as (or more than) "coolness factor".

(However, I'd also argue that once someone has played and lived in Winnipeg, they often tend to like the city. So that appeal may keep us players more than it initially brings us players.)

The competitiveness of the ball club is obviously a big downside for us, but as Ottawa showed last year, a quick turnaround is possible. So it may not be as big of an issue as some of us think.

Edited by comedygeek

If you are an upper ecilone player earning in the top 10 percentile of the league and living in a city for 6 months do you really think the cost of living is a major consideration in where you sign? Players at that level know they will start, so playtime is not an issue. They want to think they are going to a situation that provides them with what they believe is the best opportunity to win. 

7 hours ago, comedygeek said:

Winnipeg beats out all of those cities with cost of living. Average rent, for instance, is almost $200 cheaper in Winnipeg than the next closest CFL city. Cost of living index (which factors in all sorts of things) puts Winnipeg as one of the lowest in Canada, and again ahead of every CFL city. When you're an American earning Canadian $$ (or just any CFLer making a reasonable but not great salary), cost of living definitely matters as much as (or more than) "coolness factor".

(However, I'd also argue that once someone has played and lived in Winnipeg, they often tend to like the city. So that appeal may keep us players more than it initially brings us players.)

The competitiveness of the ball club is obviously a big downside for us, but as Ottawa showed last year, a quick turnaround is possible. So it may not be as big of an issue as some of us think.

And remember he is coming from Minipeg, I mean Regina(I live here for past 6 years and grew up in WPG and a lot of the similarities are scary). He is passed the night life party stages, I know from playing basketball with him 4 years ago, but the added culture and availability of mature activities in Winnipeg may be attractive while keeping the smaller city feel.

9 hours ago, comedygeek said:

I'm just pointing out some factors working against Winnipeg.  I love this city but there is definitely an uphill battle when it comes to our reputation with outsiders.  There are certainly lots of positives but they might not be so obvious from the outside looking in.  Cost of living is lower but in many cases taxes are higher.

Rumour and rumour only....Sask. board says that Dressler will sign with us and it'll get done today...How much can you believe from those guys??? We'll see...they say their source is pretty reliable...I hope it's not a cousin of a cousin that lives in the sticks and needs dental work..