Penton's Sun Bomber Survey

DR. CFL

What's Mike O'Shea's main flaw as a coach? *

inexperience

too soft on his players

living in la-la land and doesn't get it

he has no flaws

Haha I love option 4. No middle ground to be found here.

EDIT: If you want to expand on your answers, you can email Penton directly. Some responses will get published.

I still believe it's coaching and roster management as opposed to overall talent, that continually does this team in. I guess we'll see somewhat how accurate that is with hopefully a new OC next year.

I agree completely... if we swapped complete rosters with Calgary... they would be a 10 win team and we would probably still be fighting for the playoffs...

I filled mine out last night and it wasn't quite as easy as I thought it would be. More players that I want back than those I want gone. Maybe player talent isn't quite as much of an issue as I've been told it is.  ;)

But is that a case of PTSD or not? I mean we want a lot of players back but if we had an upgrade on a bunch of these guys would we care if some didn't return?

I don't care if ANY player returns if we have an upgrade. The point is that we have a lot of good players on the team.

lots of good players, but how many great players? How many guys are legitimately players we can consider among the best at their positions in the league? Some linebackers maybe, Westerman, some DBs perhaps but other than that is there anyone? 

I don't care if ANY player returns if we have an upgrade. The point is that we have a lot of good players on the team.

lots of good players, but how many great players? How many guys are legitimately players we can consider among the best at their positions in the league? Some linebackers maybe, Westerman, some DBs perhaps but other than that is there anyone? 

I always ask myself if I were to buy a new jersey, who would I put on the back.  And there really isn't anyone on this team I would choose (for whatever reason, never been a fan of putting QBs on my jerseys).

Which is why I now wear my retro Walby jersey to the games.

Westerman will be an all star. Bass and Adams have an outside shot. No real stars after that although some very good players like Leggatt, Adams, Randall, Bryant, Moore and Denmark who are all guys who would be picked up right away by other teams if we let them go (maybe not for what we're paying them, but that's an issue of having to overpay because we've been bad for so long).

We're missing a #1 receiver a #1 running back (Marshall's not an every down back) a couple of O lineman on offence. We're missing a couple of D lineman and some Canuck replacements for Bucknor and Hurl and maybe a new DB and Safety to become a pretty good defence. Better talent acquisition through scouting, drafting and free agency is definitely needed, but the core really isn't that bad IMO. Better than the 5 wins we've got IMO.

Westerman will be an all star. Bass and Adams have an outside shot. No real stars after that although some very good players like Leggatt, Adams, Randall, Bryant, Moore and Denmark who are all guys who would be picked up right away by other teams if we let them go (maybe not for what we're paying them, but that's an issue of having to overpay because we've been bad for so long).

We're missing a #1 receiver a #1 running back (Marshall's not an every down back) a couple of O lineman on offence. We're missing a couple of D lineman and some Canuck replacements for Bucknor and Hurl and maybe a new DB and Safety to become a pretty good defence. Better talent acquisition through scouting, drafting and free agency is definitely needed, but the core really isn't that bad IMO. Better than the 5 wins we've got IMO.

Not bad when we're missing #1 weapons on offense and the lines need upgrading... seems to me that it's not a core you like it's the supporting players which is what gets you 5 win seasons. I'd also suggest that the depth pretty much blows and injuries screw this team hard, and look at that, been lots of injuries this year and we've needed that depth. So I guess we can say that the middle part of the roster is ok but we need more on both ends of it. 

Not bad when we're missing #1 weapons on offense and the lines need upgrading... seems to me that it's not a core you like it's the supporting players which is what gets you 5 win seasons. I'd also suggest that the depth pretty much blows and injuries screw this team hard, and look at that, been lots of injuries this year and we've needed that depth. So I guess we can say that the middle part of the roster is ok but we need more on both ends of it. 

Your definition of not bad doesn't match mine. 5 wins is terrible and terrible is exactly what we were this year and most of last. 

The lines have needed upgrading for years now. Walters threw money at the problem and still didn't get the results we need although he did hit a homerun with Westerman. I'll give you depth as a problem. That's a drafting/scouting issue.

Better players would make our coaches look better and better coaching would make the players we have look better. It's the old chicken and egg story. IMO we have enough talent to win more games than we did in the last two years. We had more talent this year than we did last year and it resulted in less wins. That leaves coaching and scouting as the biggest and easiest places to upgrade.  

I want most of the players back as well. Sadly, it's only because I lack faith in our recruitment to even find suitable replacements for average/below average players.

If I could be "guaranteed" that I could replace what needs replacing on the roster with an upgrade to at least average, I could find about 8-10 players in need of replacement.

Is that my roundabout way of saying I think we have 8-10 players that are below average on our team. Yep, you bet. More if I count some young guys that I am not counting in this because I am willing to give them the time to develop.

I do think we have a pretty solid core group of players, however, there are some roster holes big enough for even our RBs to run through.

If we are to have any hope of contending in the near future the following players must be replaced with upgrades imo:

QB - Brian Brohm

RB - Cam Marshall, Paris Cotton

WR- Rory Kohlert

SB- JFG

LG/RG - Pat Neufeld, Matthias Goosen

DE - PEACH ( for the love of GOD replace PEACH)

DT - Z.Anderson

MLB - Sam Hurl

S - LinJ Shell

K - Lirim Hajrallahu

Others must take big step forwards coming out of rookie and sophomore year such as Waggoner, Briggs etc.

Absolutely, scouting has been dreadful. We have turned up a few decent players in the last couple years but have not been finding much in the way of impact players. Mo Leggett and K.Bass are the types of recruits we need. Sadly they are the only two worth mentioning from this group of recruiters.

There is a member of the Adam's family that would throw their support behind Johnny.

Now, on defence, if you add in Westerman, that's 4 positions upgraded. One third. That's decent.

Find a DE, another lineman and the best MLB not currently employed and we'll have something.

Offence is an entirely different matter.

What about a list of guys who we all think definitely should be back... here's what I think

OL- Bryant, Chungh, Goossen

QB - Willy

RB - Marshall

WR - Kolhert, Denmark (mostly cuz we need some vets back but realistically we could afford to replace every WR on this team)

FB - Pointbriand, Normand (b/c he's a rookie)

DL - Westerman, Thomas

LB - Bass, Leggett, Randle, Waggoner 

DB - Adams, B. Johnson

obviously I know we won't turn over that many players... but if anyone other than the above listed is gone... I'm ok with that... I probably missed a few key guys, feel free to weigh in...