Edmonton Oilers LOL (perhaps Calgary Flames LOL)

IC Khari

Calgary got by last year on unsustainable shooting and save percentages. Those fell off they don't have the miraculous come backs anymore. Go figure. As for the Oilers, you don't play the stifling teams like the Blues or the defencemen like Weber suddenly you can win, go figure. They lost to 5-1 St. Louis, 4-1 Dallas and 4-1 Nashville, hardly the cause for panic some people made it out to be. 

With the picks the Oilers have had over the last 5-6 years, they should be contenders...and I don't mean for the lottery.

They are a joke with the picks they have had and the way they play.

Poor asset management.  They could have been better sooner.  But I think they've been content to be a cheap team and, why not?  Its rewarded them with more and more assets.  They literally would have to try to suck to not be a Cup contender in the next few years.

Calgary got by last year on unsustainable shooting and save percentages. Those fell off they don't have the miraculous come backs anymore. Go figure. As for the Oilers, you don't play the stifling teams like the Blues or the defencemen like Weber suddenly you can win, go figure. They lost to 5-1 St. Louis, 4-1 Dallas and 4-1 Nashville, hardly the cause for panic some people made it out to be. 

For some it wasn't panic, it was more joy living as a Jet fan in Oil land.

With the picks the Oilers have had over the last 5-6 years, they should be contenders...and I don't mean for the lottery.

You hire a coach who is brain dead and makes playing hockey terrible for these guys that's what happens. Seriously Yakupov considered quitting because of Dallas Eakins. Now that they've flushed that turd and the turd that hired him things are going to improve and the bitching and moaning from everyone about the draft picks is going to be fun to watch. 

You hire a coach who is brain dead and makes playing hockey terrible for these guys that's what happens. Seriously Yakupov considered quitting because of Dallas Eakins. Now that they've flushed that turd and the turd that hired him things are going to improve and the bitching and moaning from everyone about the draft picks is going to be fun to watch. 

What were the issues with Dallas?  All the talk before they hired him was that he was a great coach who would be a genius hire for whichever NHL team got to him first.

It's obviously very early and playing with McDavid doesn't hurt but Yakupov looks much better than than the last couple seasons.  

Yup, I see now the Oilers have put together the pieces to start a long dynasty run, kind of like how they looked in 1980 when Gretzky was just getting going. 

What were the issues with Dallas?  All the talk before they hired him was that he was a great coach who would be a genius hire for whichever NHL team got to him first.

He had some success with the Toronto AHL team and the national media pumped his tired but good. Then you throw in the fact that the guy talks a good game and he hoodwinked Craig McTavish into giving him the job. Eakins could say the right things but when it came to getting the players to buy in he failed spectacularly. The best coaches earn respect, Eakins came in and demanded respect but couldn't earn it. He didn't know how to get through to the players and he thought that standing around all practise while he lectured in front of a white board could replace actually practising on the ice. Everyone has commented how slack the practises were with Eakins and the big talk in preseason with Mclellan was that if a drill wasn't done right everyone stopped and started again doing it right. The other issue with Eakins was that he was trying too hard to game advanced stats. He felt you could reduce shots against and up shots for and it would magically work, trouble is not every shot is equal and when you give up high quality shots and take low quality shots yes you might see some good advanced stats, but then you get low shooting %s and your goalies get bad save %s. 

I took Yak in my pool and really agonized over it.  Choked on it nearly.  So Im hoping for a big season from him.  Took Hall too.  It really disturbs me because I hate the Oilers so realistically, I want them to lose every game 6-5.

Yak has screwed me in prior pools so I was gun-shy to grab him.  I did get Hall pretty high though, probably could have waited a round or two, and then some bozo in my pool grabbed McDavid way before I was ready.  I did take Ehlers with my final pick though.  Everyone looked at me squirrelly, and said "Who?"

It's easy to draft the players ranked 1st overall. It's another thing to draft players in 2nd rounds and later. Oilers have yet to do that really. I wonder how good the oilers would be if instead of drafting first overall 4 times... they drafted 7th or 8th.

Scheifele Trouba Ehlers... 7 to 9 range.

Lowry was a third round pick. Copp a 5th maybe. Petan a second. Connor at 17. Steal. Kids gonna be very good... just wait.

Wonder who the oilers would have taken if they had those 7 to 9 range picks. Irrelevant for sure but... like I said... every team takes mcdavid hall RNH.... most take yakupov .. some take Murray. Not hard to do.

Let's blame Eakins for what? Not even a season and a half?

What about before him?....what about since?

Piss poor management and arguably poor drafting....

The years before that when they were progressing? The half a season after he was fired where they were noticeably better? If people cared to open their eyes they could see the massive, massive regression that happened as soon as Eakins was hired and the massive improvement that happened after he was fired. 

Thing about progressing tho is when you consistently finish last... finishing 5th last is improving

Would progress for the Jets be not getting swept if they make the playoffs?  ;)

PS, the Oilers don't consistently finish last, it's only happened once in the last 5 years.  Not that I'm arguing they don't finish nearly last a lot lately... it's just not every year!  :(

Thing about progressing tho is when you consistently finish last... finishing 5th last is improving

They went from last by a country mile the year they drafted Hall to last by a couple points when they drafted Nugent-Hopkins to 2nd last when they got Yakupov and then the lock out year with Kreuger they were drafting 7th overall. All those years the metrics were improving. Less goals against, more goals for and yes more points in the standings. That's progress. Maybe not fast progress but it's progress. They McTavish fired Kreuger and hired Eakins and the goals against ballooned up and guys who used to be able to score had a hell of a time scoring. It's black and white staring people in the faces but they choose instead to fall into the "Herp derp Oilerz suck!!11!! look at the #1 draft picks!" Firing Tom Renney was a mistake because the management wanted to put it all on the young players while Renney was trying to shelter them and make them accountable. Kreuger only got that lockout season and he had some OK results with them. He had good PP and good PK to mask some of the issues 5 on 5 but then McTavish fired him because he didn't like him and hired Eakins who was just terrible at this NHL head coaching thing. 

If blue jackets lose tonight they have to play something like 22 over .500 to make the playoffs. They might be eliminated shortly. That's why talk of changing coaches

Hard to make trades to impact your team this early. Jackets spent money and had higher expectations. Coach is toast

Supposedly they want Claude Jullien. But lawless says Carlyle and Torts are first in line. Id fire my coach early to get Carlyle before someone else does, if I was in the market for a new coach

They went from last by a country mile the year they drafted Hall to last by a couple points when they drafted Nugent-Hopkins to 2nd last when they got Yakupov and then the lock out year with Kreuger they were drafting 7th overall. All those years the metrics were improving. Less goals against, more goals for and yes more points in the standings. That's progress. Maybe not fast progress but it's progress. They McTavish fired Kreuger and hired Eakins and the goals against ballooned up and guys who used to be able to score had a hell of a time scoring. It's black and white staring people in the faces but they choose instead to fall into the "Herp derp Oilerz suck!!11!! look at the #1 draft picks!" Firing Tom Renney was a mistake because the management wanted to put it all on the young players while Renney was trying to shelter them and make them accountable. Kreuger only got that lockout season and he had some OK results with them. He had good PP and good PK to mask some of the issues 5 on 5 but then McTavish fired him because he didn't like him and hired Eakins who was just terrible at this NHL head coaching thing. 

Do you read your post before posting them?

In the last six years they have finished 3rd last, 3rd last, 7th last (lockout), 2nd last, last and last. Where's the progression?

Talk about a loser attitude....last is last dude, country mile or a point....you think it is okay for them to STILL be in the lottery after all those picks? Unbelievable...