Edmonton Oilers LOL (perhaps Calgary Flames LOL)

IC Khari

Same thing with the Oilers, the veterans on the team absolutely suck ass. The young players are the only thing worth a damn on that team. Nurse and Draisaitl stepped up nicely and holy crap is McDavid good. That kid can hockey. Dangerous every time he touched the puck and on the tying goal absolutely clowned Subban along the boards. Subban really can't be losing physical battles on the boards to 18 year old players. 

After watching last night's game, it has to be said: No matter their record this season, you can't argue that this is a drastically different team under McLellan vs Eakins...

Well yeah but Eakins not have Connor McJesus or a couple of the D-men they got now.

Sekera who has had a poor start to the season (Eakins had Petry who is a comparable player, maybe even better but I'm a bit of a Petry fan) Gryba who is at best a bottom pairing guy and Reinhart (been hurt a lot of the season) are the defensive changes. Yes McDavid is a whole different animal but honestly it's not the difference in players. Eakins just ******* sucked and made people worse.

Disagree there. Talbot is actually better than Scrivens and Fasth by a long shot, He's the reason for a couple wins and McDavid makes a huge difference for sure, he can't do it all by himself but he makes his wingers better, makes a difference, Oilers have had lots of first overall picks but none of them were or are even close to being as good as McDavid.

The D still kind of sucks... and will suck for some time. 

bah the goalies biggest problem before was Eakins system. The guys they had before weren't as useless as they were in Edmonton. Hell look at Dubnyks numbers with Kreuger and what he's doing now. Eakins ruined him for a couple years. Did the same to Scrivens and Fasth. 

It's not hard to understand, Eakins set that team back years. He talked about having to break guys down and rebuild them. Well he was great at breaking players but absolutely useless at rebuilding them. Todd Mclellan took on a huge task here and there's signs of it working, trouble is the D was decimated prior to him getting there and it's damned near impossible to get top pairing defencemen these days. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking at their standings and if you call that progression then, wow, are they ever progressing!!!!!!!!!

And I am looking at points in the standings, goals for, goals against... all signs of progress to someone capable of looking at more than where someone finished. It is quite clear that there was progress made before Eakins was hired. Then he took a better on paper roster and got worse finishes than before he arrived including worse goals for and against. Try reading and see what the point is. You have to actually understand the situation before you can discuss it, but apparently your level of assessment begins and ends with what position a team drafted in. 

Cry me a river....the stats that count are W's and L's............they are on pace for a 55 point season...ya, I know it's early but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them finish in the bottom 5 again...........even with a very good (in my opinion) coach. Progress my azz.

Ha, seriously? We're barely even into the season and you're jumping to those conclusions. Hilarious.

The fact that we are now competing against teams like St. Louis is certainly progression.

Hey, they've progressed....they're on pace for a 56 point season...

bah the goalies biggest problem before was Eakins system. The guys they had before weren't as useless as they were in Edmonton. Hell look at Dubnyks numbers with Kreuger and what he's doing now. Eakins ruined him for a couple years. Did the same to Scrivens and Fasth. 

It's not hard to understand, Eakins set that team back years. He talked about having to break guys down and rebuild them. Well he was great at breaking players but absolutely useless at rebuilding them. Todd Mclellan took on a huge task here and there's signs of it working, trouble is the D was decimated prior to him getting there and it's damned near impossible to get top pairing defencemen these days. 

I'm just curious & I'm not trying to criticize or pick a fight. I genuinely want to know why you're an Oilers fan? Again, just asking. 

I'm just curious & I'm not trying to criticize or pick a fight. I genuinely want to know why you're an Oilers fan? Again, just asking. 

Oh why is anyone a fan of any particular team? After the Jets left I sort of gave up on the NHL for a while, one of the things that brought my attention back was truthfully a lot of those scrappy Oilers teams that played against the Stars in the playoffs. Plus how could anyone not like Ryan Smyth as a player? Not the highest skill but put up a lot of points just by working his ass off and doing the thankless jobs. 

Didnt a lot of Jets fan jump to another Canadian team as their favourite?  Especially when the Oilers made their run.

I actually kept following the Coyotes for a little while but my #2 team behind the Jets had always been the Pens, so they became my go-to team and the Ducks moved up to #2 simply because of Selanne.  I can see why people like the Oilers.  Those Oilers fans will be the "winners" in a few years when that team matures.

• 4 weeks later...

noticed you didn't resurrect it until they went on a winning streak...cough...

McLellan has them playing sound hockey.

Yeah like everyone said, get a good coach in there to fix the train wreck that Eakins caused. The best part of this streak is that they're doing it with their entire 2nd line on the shelf with injury. Hall and Draisaitl showing the kind of chemistry they have and with McDavid showing prior to his injury that he could take over games too the Oilers are a healthy roster away from being a hard team for teams to match up against because you are looking at the possibility of RNH and Eberle on a third line.