Edmonton Oilers LOL (perhaps Calgary Flames LOL)

IC Khari

Thing about progressing tho is when you consistently finish last... finishing 5th last is improving

They went from last by a country mile the year they drafted Hall to last by a couple points when they drafted Nugent-Hopkins to 2nd last when they got Yakupov and then the lock out year with Kreuger they were drafting 7th overall. All those years the metrics were improving. Less goals against, more goals for and yes more points in the standings. That's progress. Maybe not fast progress but it's progress. They McTavish fired Kreuger and hired Eakins and the goals against ballooned up and guys who used to be able to score had a hell of a time scoring. It's black and white staring people in the faces but they choose instead to fall into the "Herp derp Oilerz suck!!11!! look at the #1 draft picks!" Firing Tom Renney was a mistake because the management wanted to put it all on the young players while Renney was trying to shelter them and make them accountable. Kreuger only got that lockout season and he had some OK results with them. He had good PP and good PK to mask some of the issues 5 on 5 but then McTavish fired him because he didn't like him and hired Eakins who was just terrible at this NHL head coaching thing. 

Do you read your post before posting them?

In the last six years they have finished 3rd last, 3rd last, 7th last (lockout), 2nd last, last and last. Where's the progression?

Talk about a loser attitude....last is last dude, country mile or a point....you think it is okay for them to STILL be in the lottery after all those picks? Unbelievable...

Did you read it? You just fell into exactly what I described with the "Herp derp! They suck, look at all the last place finishes!!!"

Try reading what I said and you can see where the progress came from prior to Eakins. 

I am looking at their standings and if you call that progression then, wow, are they ever progressing!!!!!!!!!

And I am looking at points in the standings, goals for, goals against... all signs of progress to someone capable of looking at more than where someone finished. It is quite clear that there was progress made before Eakins was hired. Then he took a better on paper roster and got worse finishes than before he arrived including worse goals for and against. Try reading and see what the point is. You have to actually understand the situation before you can discuss it, but apparently your level of assessment begins and ends with what position a team drafted in. 

I am looking at their standings and if you call that progression then, wow, are they ever progressing!!!!!!!!!

And I am looking at points in the standings, goals for, goals against... all signs of progress to someone capable of looking at more than where someone finished. It is quite clear that there was progress made before Eakins was hired. Then he took a better on paper roster and got worse finishes than before he arrived including worse goals for and against. Try reading and see what the point is. You have to actually understand the situation before you can discuss it, but apparently your level of assessment begins and ends with what position a team drafted in. 

Cry me a river....the stats that count are W's and L's............they are on pace for a 55 point season...ya, I know it's early but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them finish in the bottom 5 again...........even with a very good (in my opinion) coach. Progress my azz.

Ill just say this and be done with this whole Oilers stuff, They won't make the playoffs, they probably won't finish bottom 5, there are worse teams than them.... Buffalo,CBJ,NJ,BOSTON and even Calgary and regardless of how they look currently, Arizona is a worse team too, however Arizona has that 1 thing the Oilers are lacking and that's a legit #1 d man in OEL... Like the Oilers but until they fix that D, they aren't gonna be much better. 

Cry me a river....the stats that count are W's and L's............they are on pace for a 55 point season...ya, I know it's early but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them finish in the bottom 5 again...........even with a very good (in my opinion) coach. Progress my azz.

But you are again missing the point, the progress I speak of was before Eakins. Eakins arrested that and started them on regression. The lockout year they were sitting in a playoff position at the trade deadline before falling off the pace in the final weeks. Doesn't that sound like normal progress for a rebuilding team? First couple years bad then make progress and become a team in the mix until the end. But then Eakins was hired and it all got set back. Throw in Craig McTavish completely botching situations like the one with Petry and you start to see why they were in the lottery for McDavid. Pace right now is irrelevant. They lost to teams sitting near the top of the standings and are coming off back to back wins on division rivals. You want to jump the gun after 6 games go right ahead, but this Oilers team is a lot different than it was last year or the year before or the one before that or the one before that and watching the games shows it very clearly. 

Ha, seriously? We're barely even into the season and you're jumping to those conclusions. Hilarious.

The fact that we are now competing against teams like St. Louis is certainly progression.

3 wins in a row now and the teams they lost to are still the top 3 teams in the conference. Tied for 9th but only a couple points back of 4th in the west. This is why you don't freak out about early losses to tough teams. Who knows where they will wind up finishing this season, but compared to the last two seasons where they were out of the playoffs basically by Halloween this year is much different. 

Not sure anybody in Edmonton is happier about McDavid's arrival than Yakupov. That's a tonne of speed on a line together.

Also, lol at Letestu's finish on that beautiful feed from McDavid in front of the net last night. If I was him, I would refuse shifts with McDavid to avoid being embarrassed like that. Stick with the guys you can dump and chase with.

The only time Yakupov was really bad was when Eakins was coaching. He did lead rookies in goals (and the Oilers) and tied in rookie points the lockout year with Kreuger and he finished strongly after Eakins was fired. Yeah he is working really well with McDavid but it's not like he was totally useless before that, excepting with all time bad head coach Dallas Eakins. 

Not a fan of plus minus but yak Is always minus a bunch. He might score but he's o. Ice for lots of goals against too.

He is a plus player so far this year. Oilers under Eakins were a big minus team so a guy not scoring much is going to have a minus rating. Every oiler racked up big minuses plus minus is a reflection of a team not a player

Not a fan of plus minus but yak Is always minus a bunch. He might score but he's o. Ice for lots of goals against too.

He is a plus player so far this year. Oilers under Eakins were a big minus team so a guy not scoring much is going to have a minus rating. Every oiler racked up big minuses plus minus is a reflection of a team not a player

He is a zero player and McJesus is a -4... fire the coach!!!!!!