Bombers Add Quarterback Tyler Russell

Rich

http://www.bluebombers.com/article/bombers-add-quarterback-tyler-russell

WINNIPEG, MB., August 19, 2015 – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce today the club has signed former Mississippi State quarterback Tyler Russell to the practice roster.

Russell (6-4, 220, Mississippi State, December 6, 1990, in Meridian, Mississippi) played in 38 games over four seasons with the Bulldogs. During that time, he accumulated a school record 42 touchdown passes, while throwing for 5,881 yards, good for third all-time in Bulldogs history.

His 2012 season was the best in school history by a quarterback, throwing for 2,897 yards and 24 touchdowns.

No harm in seeing what he's all about.

I guess...  I just did not envision this guy as our parachute - he's going to get massacred in an MB offence

A bit surprised that Yantz really didn't get a look at all or Portis for that matter

I guess...  I just did not envision this guy as our parachute - he's going to get massacred in an MB offence

A bit surprised that Yantz really didn't get a look at all or Portis for that matter

Why would either of those two get a look? This is a chance to roster a QB4 as a developmental project - we've already decided we don't want either of those guys in that role. Russell will come in as the project and compete with Davis for reps. It's not an emergency hunt for a QB1 who knows our offense.

Why would either of those two get a look? This is a chance to roster a QB4 as a developmental project - we've already decided we don't want either of those guys in that role. Russell will come in as the project and compete with Davis for reps. It's not an emergency hunt for a QB1 who knows our offense.

Willy is out for a while, Brohm is just taking up a roster spot  

Realistically, its now Marve-Davis-Russell - I'd just feel better with a backup QB that knows the playbook

Just strange that we brought in Portis - traded for him seemingly on the recommendation of Goveia(?) - and then didn't look at him in a game.

Concussion, shoulder surgery, out of football for two years, pocket passer that hesitates... this is the best they could find?

Personally I've always had a bias towards SEC quarterbacks. Considering the history of Mississippi State football, and what Russell did there - albeit just one stand out season, I'm intrigued...

Oh, and hello again...

tumblr_mummjbyUQl1sweeceo3_400.gif

Whoa, where have you been? I was going to DM you on twitter just to make sure you're still alive! Good to see you're back....

Anyways, wondering why they would bring in another QB at this point... should we start the speculation that Willy will be gone more than 8 weeks??... or maybe he's just a better prospect  than Davis....

I guess... I just did not envision this guy as our parachute - he's going to get massacred in an MB offence

The fact you'd be happier with Josh Portis or other retreads instead of new blood to potentially groom astounds me.

I guess... I just did not envision this guy as our parachute - he's going to get massacred in an MB offence

The fact you'd be happier with Josh Portis or other retreads instead of new blood to potentially groom astounds me.

Not against new blood at all...  just not excited about this guy

But I'd also have Portis on the roster instead of Brohm - how does he stick after proving over and over again that he can't compete.  

And yeah, I was cheering for Yantz because he's Cdn... can't be helped.

as Irving just tweeted: "He's just here to be evaluated, not to be a saviour..."

Bob Irving is the new Captain Obvious. 

That's probably his response to this...

jim bender         @bendersun

Psst, the #bombers have actually signed a QB - Tyler Russell. 6-4, 220-pound Mississippi State. But will he see any action this year?

No harm in bringing him in for a cup of coffee and a number 2. 

I thought after a coffee it would be a No. 1. Why bring back anything we had looked at  before and rejected?  With Willy hurt we have room to look at him. What's one's garbage ends up being another person's  gold after a little polish. Not like we're giving up a pile of cash.