Bars, Night Clubs & Dives from Back in the Day

Booch

Honestly, I have mentioned in the past that i'd love to see marve fail but really it's just directed at people who were pimping him like he was the next best thing. I don't want to see him fail, i want to see him play well, win the damn game really. Go Marve, Go Bombers, SHOCK THE WORLD... Shut people up... Would love to see Marve go out there and have the game of his life and bombers go out there and destroy the argos... would love to see that, Hope it happens, really do..

If people honestly are hoping for Marve to fail tho and werent just frustrated at the constant PLAY MARVE stuff after every loss, well, they aren't really fans to begin with are they? I'd never want to see one of our guys fail, I'm a bomber fan and whoever they are playing, even if it was old cement shoes Brohm, I'd hope he has a great game and we win. 

Seriously, they could start do or die or booch or really an 8 year old kid from the stands and i'd still be cheering them on. 

Just thought at times, the whole PLAY MARVE stuff after every loss, well it got tiresome really 

It was more tongue in cheek than anything serious tho... Like Marve, hope he plays well, hope we win, hope he shows he's learned something the last year or so, hope he can give his dad a great birthday present out there. 

hahaha...hey hey hey....I actually was a quarterback in highschool so I can sling it!

I always have to laugh thinking back one night when a bunch of us were drinking at Scandals, and for whatever reason I had my alma mater high school leather football jacket on, which said Q.Back on the sleeve.

Quincy Williams looks at it and says "wtf you were a QB in highschool?!?!..damn would have hated to see the size of the rest of your team!" ahhh memories

Honestly, I have mentioned in the past that i'd love to see marve fail but really it's just directed at people who were pimping him like he was the next best thing. I don't want to see him fail, i want to see him play well, win the damn game really. Go Marve, Go Bombers, SHOCK THE WORLD... Shut people up... Would love to see Marve go out there and have the game of his life and bombers go out there and destroy the argos... would love to see that, Hope it happens, really do..

If people honestly are hoping for Marve to fail tho and werent just frustrated at the constant PLAY MARVE stuff after every loss, well, they aren't really fans to begin with are they? I'd never want to see one of our guys fail, I'm a bomber fan and whoever they are playing, even if it was old cement shoes Brohm, I'd hope he has a great game and we win. 

Seriously, they could start do or die or booch or really an 8 year old kid from the stands and i'd still be cheering them on. 

Just thought at times, the whole PLAY MARVE stuff after every loss, well it got tiresome really 

It was more tongue in cheek than anything serious tho... Like Marve, hope he plays well, hope we win, hope he shows he's learned something the last year or so, hope he can give his dad a great birthday present out there. 

hahaha...hey hey hey....I actually was a quarterback in highschool so I can sling it!

I always have to laugh thinking back one night when a bunch of us were drinking at Scandals, and for whatever reason I had my alma mater high school leather football jacket on, which said Q.Back on the sleeve.

Quincy Williams looks at it and says "wtf you were a QB in highschool?!?!..damn would have hated to see the size of the rest of your team!" ahhh memories

Ha ha Scandals.  What a dive.  Good times, good times.

Oh yes...used to jump between there and strawberry's on many a night...Had some good times there with the likes of Williams, West and Jones, Bovell..David Black..among others

Oh yes...used to jump between there and strawberry's on many a night...Had some good times there with the likes of Williams, West and Jones, Bovell..David Black..among others

Strawberry's....that's where I met my wife.....that's where I met a lot of wives. Did I just go there...I think I did.

What is Strawberry's?

I didn't think Scandals was a dive, at least not compared to Monty's & the Paladium (Getlaidium).

I watched the bouncers at Scandals nearly beat a guy to death once. This guy bottled my buddy, who was dating a bouncer's sister. They dragged him out the side door and beat him unconscious. It was brutal...

What is Strawberry's?

I didn't think Scandals was a dive, at least not compared to Monty's & the Paladium (Getlaidium).

I watched the bouncers at Scandals nearly beat a guy to death once. This guy bottled my buddy, who was dating a bouncer's sister. They dragged him out the side door and beat him unconscious. It was brutal...

All right, I take it back.  Scandals was awesome.

What is Strawberry's?

I worked at Scandals, Grapes Pier 7, Grapes on Main, Palladium (Stratosphere, The Lid), Boogie Nights, U4IA.

Scandals wasnt a dive.  Just very, very young.  Thursday draft night back before minimum pricing was a sh!tshow of young drunks.  When i got to the Palladium it was a lot of fun.  It had its issues with the local gang element but we cleaned it up when it renovated and certainly wasnt a dive then as they gutted the place and spent a lot of money.  The Lid was the most fun place ever.  Laid back, easy going.  Lots of fun.  I was 18 when I worked for Grapes so that was good times.  And Boogie Nights was insanely popular...we were like celebrities around town on our nights off for the brief time it was the place to be.

Sorry, off topic!  We need an "old bars" thread maybe.  I bet lots of people here have stories as patrons or employees!

What is Strawberry's?

I worked at Scandals, Grapes Pier 7, Grapes on Main, Palladium (Stratosphere, The Lid), Boogie Nights, U4IA.

Night Moves, Diamond Club, The Zoo (Osborne Village, not Assiniboine Park)....a lot of good times. Think I'll dig out my Queen City Kids, Harlequin, and Streetheart records for old times sake...

What is Strawberry's?

Night Moves, Diamond Club, The Zoo (Osborne Village, not Assiniboine Park)....a lot of good times. Think I'll dig out my Queen City Kids, Harlequin, and Streetheart records for old times sake...

You must be a bit older than me.  I heard of those places before I was old enough to get in.  Wasnt Diamond Club where a bouncer was shot and killed? 

I'm sure this'll all get moved to General Forum, but I do remember Boogie Nights (Knights?) vaguely, as that's where I spent my 21st birthday. Man oh man...my one memory is it's the first place I ever puked at a bar. That was a LOT of shots....

What is Strawberry's?

You must be a bit older than me.  I heard of those places before I was old enough to get in.  Wasnt Diamond Club where a bouncer was shot and killed? 

I don't remember a bouncer being shot at the Diamond Club, but I wouldn't doubt it either. I remember The Zoo having a reputation as one of the roughest bars in town, but I never had or saw any problems there.

I'm sure this'll all get moved to General Forum, but I do remember Boogie Nights (Knights?) vaguely, as that's where I spent my 21st birthday. Man oh man...my one memory is it's the first place I ever puked at a bar. That was a LOT of shots....

Bar was Boogie Nights (formerly Stardust). The house band was the Boogie Knights Band.

Bar was Boogie Nights (formerly Stardust). The house band was the Boogie Knights Band.

Right right right....I remember now. Man that place changed names a LOT....last I checked, it's still Cowboys......

Gee, I feel old.  I was cruising for at least 10 years before there was any such thing as a night club in Wpg. and all beer parlours were pretty much the same.  For excitement we would occasionally pub crawl Main St.....the wrong end.   Always Started at the Woodbine (used to be men only), and ended at the "New Occidental".  Probably forgotten more names than I can remember  but some of them were "The Leyland", "The McClaren", "The Bell Hotel", "The Brunswick"....Youth is wasted on the drunk.

lol i think your guess who reference (so long bannatyne) dates you a lil too :P but i went to the woodbine the othe day to pick up the bartender, as well as bought beer at the northern which i was witness to several fights in a matter of a few mins. dunno how the bars were back in ur day but i wouldnt drink anywhere on main. i also drank few pitchers of draft at the mount royale when i was 17 (played a show across street at the  aboriginal center) not a pretty place lol

Gee, I feel old.  I was cruising for at least 10 years before there was any such thing as a night club in Wpg. and all beer parlours were pretty much the same.  For excitement we would occasionally pub crawl Main St.....the wrong end.   Always Started at the Woodbine (used to be men only), and ended at the "New Occidental".  Probably forgotten more names than I can remember  but some of them were "The Leyland", "The McClaren", "The Bell Hotel", "The Brunswick"....Youth is wasted on the drunk.

You're not old until you start being afraid to buy green bananas or underwear in a six-pack because one might be enough.

You know what bar had like the dirtiest bathrooms in the city? The Albert.

There's a reason it was poorly lit.

$3.75 for a (small) pitcher of beer on Thursdays.  A stage only slightly bigger than the top of my desk.  Old men in suits who lived in the rooms upstairs standing in the shadows watching the next next next next next next next generation getting rowdy for a less than modestly talented punk band from River Heights.  Loved going to the Albert.

lol i think your guess who reference (so long bannatyne) dates you a lil too :P but i went to the woodbine the othe day to pick up the bartender, as well as bought beer at the northern which i was witness to several fights in a matter of a few mins. dunno how the bars were back in ur day but i wouldnt drink anywhere on main. i also drank few pitchers of draft at the mount royale when i was 17 (played a show across street at the  aboriginal center) not a pretty place lol

Always wanted to wander in there for one night JUST to see. But I value my life too much.

Right right right....I remember now. Man that place changed names a LOT....last I checked, it's still Cowboys......

Yeah thats the Canad Inns way.  They just closed Area nightclub, presumably to open up as something else but the whole Pembina HWY bar scene died a slow death.

I was 18 working at Grapes on Main, went to Pier 7 and Scandals at 19.  U4IA at...21 I think.  Stardust was still Stardust when I was there, then became Boogie Nights.  Then I think it was the Coliseum which never worked (what kind of identify is that) and finally Cowboys which has worked out well as a hot country bar.  Leanne Pearson plays (or played) there a lot and she's great.  I dont go to bars much anymore but if I am asked, I'd go to Cowboys.

The LID was awesome until it closed, though Im biased.  ;-)

Yeah thats the Canad Inns way.  They just closed Area nightclub, presumably to open up as something else but the whole Pembina HWY bar scene died a slow death.

The big appeal of Pembina bars was how cheap they were. I was always there for $.25 draft nights. It was perfect for university students. Fixed prices put an end to that.

One of my greatest regrets is that minimum pricing thing came into effect before I was 18. I think I was 16 or 17 when that kid got drunk at Wise Guys and walked into the river. Damn it all to hell...gotta go and ruin it for the rest of us....