Dieter Brock

bb.king

Dieter (Ralph) Brock is the reason I am a life time Bomber Fan. The very first CFL game I saw in person (visiting Winnipeg from my home in Dallas with my wife - who was born in the Peg). I was able to get on the field (father-in-law was on the Bomber board in those days) and had the chance to meet Dieter personally. I then went into the stands behind the Bomber Bench. My first time seeing the field width and extra length really took me by surprise. I never thought anyone could throw a ball across the field or deep with such a wide and deep field.

On the 2nd series (not even sure we were playing) the ball was on the left hash mark and Brock threw a sideline pass from the left hash mark all the way to the right sidelines (where I was) and about 20 yards down field. The ball never got any higher than about head high or so and was perfect spiral. The ball was thrown so hard that it hit the slot back in the chest and knocked him down (can not remember who the slot was back in the mid 70's). And Brock did this with just a flick of his wrist and never even seemed to put any effort in the throw. It is now 40 years later and I still remember that throw!

I still have a very old (and somewhat faded) Dieter Brock jersey that I wear today.

Unreal arm...

His first game against Montreal....he throws a 35 yd deep slant to Tommy Scott, and you could hang your heavy wash on it.   I was in awe.    Of course another game, he throws a quick slant to Scott, who is not watching - ball hits him in the back of the head, and practically cold ***** him......

Brock woud throw the ole quick square out pattern, but they would be 15-20 yarders to the wide side - ball would get there before the defender could react to the break....bloody near impossible to stop.

Caught some passes after practice, from Dieter - still have a slight cavity in my chest, to show for it.   Brock would then kneel down, and throw spirals into the endzone.....from midfield!

Brock to Goodlow was a dynamite combo.  I still remember the game where Goodlow broke the record for most receptions in a season.  Everyone in the building knew Brock was going to throw to Goodlow so he could get the record but the defense still couldn't stop them. Too bad Eugene jumped to the NFL after 1982, they could have been one of those legendary combos like Calvillo - Cahoon or Flutie-Pitts.

I still remember the breaking news feed scrolling across the bottom of the t.v. screen announcing he had been traded to Hamilton for Tom Clements. It's a shame that his time in Winnipeg ended the way it did, but over the years it seems people came to appreciate what he did on the field and the excitement of seeing him play. Too bad he couldn't have won a cup with the Bombers - damn Eskimo's dynasty! I've always wondered if he could have finally won the cup in '83 or '84 had he stayed in Winnipeg.

I still remember the breaking news feed scrolling across the bottom of the t.v. screen announcing he had been traded to Hamilton for Tom Clements. It's a shame that his time in Winnipeg ended the way it did, but over the years it seems people came to appreciate what he did on the field and the excitement of seeing him play. Too bad he couldn't have won a cup with the Bombers - damn Eskimo's dynasty! I've always wondered if he could have finally won the cup in '83 or '84 had he stayed in Winnipeg.

1982 was a tough one.  The Bombers had such a stacked team loaded with All-Stars and a real dynamic offence with William Miller at RB and such an awesome O-line.  Lost in the Western Final to those darn Eskies by 3 points.  I was crying as I really loved that 1982 team.

1982 was a tough one.  The Bombers had such a stacked team loaded with All-Stars and a real dynamic offence with William Miller at RB and such an awesome O-line.  Lost in the Western Final to those darn Eskies by 3 points.  I was crying as I really loved that 1982 team.

IIRC that was the one we lost due to a questionable roughing the passer penalty against John Helton.  The penalty wiped out an INT by Vince Phason that would have sealed the game for us.   Like it was yesterday.

I still remember Mark Bragagnolo rumbling down the field in that game.  Winnipeg had such an amazing running game back then, and then just when you thought they had gone to the well too many times on the run, Dieter would rear back and flick his wrist and the ball would be heading downfield 50 yards at 100 miles an hour to an open receiver.

I had a Brock Busters T shirt. Wish I'd kept it. I was there in '84.

I was there too. They played the Ghostbusters theme song every time Brock got sacked, and we would yell "Brock-busters" at the appropriate time. Needless to say I was hoarse by the end.

I was there too. They played the Ghostbusters theme song every time Brock got sacked, and we would yell "Brock-busters" at the appropriate time. Needless to say I was hoarse by the end.

That was a fun game. I never disliked Brock. The guy was a super star qb. All I know is he couldn't wait to get out of Winnipeg at seasons end. Like the car was packed & ready to go before the last game was played. I just know we traded him for Tommy Clements & I was never happier. 

Too bad Eugene jumped to the NFL after 1982, they could have been one of those legendary combos like Calvillo - Cahoon or Flutie-Pitts.

Goodlow was outstanding. He just did not drop any passes. I was really disappointed when he left. was not surprised though. Although he didn't have much of an NFL career, a year or two I think. New Orleans. (looked it up a while ago)

I was too young to remember Brock playing for the Bombers.  I do recall first hearing that he played for the Bombers during the 1984 Grey Cup when Winnipeg smoked the Ticats.

I was at what was supposed to be one of the final games or the final regular season game at Canad Inns back in 2011 when they brought out past Bomber greats and introduced them one by one.  When the camera panned to Brock and his name was announced, he received one of the loudest cheers (Milt received the most of course and I can't remember if Walby was there and received more cheers as well).  He had a big smile on his face soaking in the cheers.  Keep in mind this was the first time he was recognized at Winnipeg Stadium since his playing days - over 25 years ago.  It appeared that time heals all wounds.

IIRC that was the one we lost due to a questionable roughing the passer penalty against John Helton.  The penalty wiped out an INT by Vince Phason that would have sealed the game for us.   Like it was yesterday.

You recall correctly - broke my heart. Right call too - Helton hit Moon almost two seconds after he (Moon) threw the ball - easily could have laid up but followed through anyway (probably because in that game Moon was starting to 'feel' it and Helton was being held all game and couldn't get to him - when he finally had his shot he couldn't resist).

I was too young to remember Brock playing for the Bombers.  I do recall first hearing that he played for the Bombers during the 1984 Grey Cup when Winnipeg smoked the Ticats.

I was at what was supposed to be one of the final games or the final regular season game at Canad Inns back in 2011 when they brought out past Bomber greats and introduced them one by one.  When the camera panned to Brock and his name was announced, he received one of the loudest cheers (Milt received the most of course and I can't remember if Walby was there and received more cheers as well).  He had a big smile on his face soaking in the cheers.  Keep in mind this was the first time he was recognized at Winnipeg Stadium since his playing days - over 25 years ago.  It appeared that time heals all wounds.

Of course it does - and don't forget - no one really knows or understands the circumstances surrounding that 'split'. But grudges are for women and insecure people - we have moved on. 

Too bad Eugene jumped to the NFL after 1982, they could have been one of those legendary combos like Calvillo - Cahoon or Flutie-Pitts.

Goodlow was outstanding. He just did not drop any passes. I was really disappointed when he left. was not surprised though. Although he didn't have much of an NFL career, a year or two I think. New Orleans. (looked it up a while ago)

He played more than that. I think he lasted 7 years with 2 NFL teams. 

You recall correctly - broke my heart. Right call too - Helton hit Moon almost two seconds after he (Moon) threw the ball - easily could have laid up but followed through anyway (probably because in that game Moon was starting to 'feel' it and Helton was being held all game and couldn't get to him - when he finally had his shot he couldn't resist).

Of course it does - and don't forget - no one really knows or understands the circumstances surrounding that 'split'. But grudges are for women and insecure people - we have moved on. 

Helton didn't rough Moon. He pushed him. Moon barely broke stride & didn't fall down either. It was a bullshit call that cost us a trip to the Grey Cup. 

IIRC, Brock had signed a long term contract prior to the 81 season. He was one, if not the highest paid qb in the CFL. After 2 years Brock wanted to renegotiate & Cal Murphy said no. Brock missed training camp & was suspended a number of games in the first half of the 1983 season. He finally returned & played but Murphy traded him to  Hamilton for Clements. When he left Winnipeg he wasn't very complimentary about a lot of things Winnipeg.

My memory is full of holes but I recall Brock's first two years in Blue playing for Bud Riley as being pretty brutal after taking over from Chuck Ealey.  Starting in 1974 it was apparent that he had a cannon for an arm but he was sacked mercilessly and he had no idea of how to read a CFL defence.  If ever a coach was rewarded with sticking it out with a rookie QB this was the case, as winning results did not materialize until 1976. 

It's hard to believe but Bud Riley was fired in 1977 with a record of 10-6 mainly because the Bombers could not progress in the playoffs.  How picky they were in days of yore.

My memory is full of holes but I recall Brock's first two years in Blue playing for Bud Riley as being pretty brutal after taking over from Chuck Ealey.  Starting in 1974 it was apparent that he had a cannon for an arm but he was sacked mercilessly and he had no idea of how to read a CFL defence.  If ever a coach was rewarded with sticking it out with a rookie QB this was the case, as winning results did not materialize until 1976. 

It's hard to believe but Bud Riley was fired in 1977 with a record of 10-6 mainly because the Bombers could not progress in the playoffs.  How picky they were in days of yore.

The bar was set a lot higher in those days than today. The Bombers were a very good team in the late 70's & early 80's under Brock. Unfortunately they were in the same Division as the juggernaut Eskimos in those days.