Glen Suitor vs Rod Black

SPuDS

How in the world does Black survive when he is so terrible and seemingly no fans like him?

I still remember attending a job fair in 1989 and Sylvia Kuzyk was just sitting in the CKY booth with no one around her, so a friend and I went over and talked to her, though we were kind of in awe of talking to a celebrity who was on TV! Anyway, she told us that if we went to Red River college and took broadcasting, we had a chance to be broadcasters one day, and follow in the steps of their latest new young broadcasting star who she said had potential to one day be a national broadcaster. That man's name was of course, Rod Black.

So you could have been the next Rod Black?  You sure must be kicking yourself now for not going to Red River's broadcasting school!  lol

How in the world does Black survive when he is so terrible and seemingly no fans like him?

I still remember attending a job fair in 1989 and Sylvia Kuzyk was just sitting in the CKY booth with no one around her, so a friend and I went over and talked to her, though we were kind of in awe of talking to a celebrity who was on TV! Anyway, she told us that if we went to Red River college and took broadcasting, we had a chance to be broadcasters one day, and follow in the steps of their latest new young broadcasting star who she said had potential to one day be a national broadcaster. That man's name was of course, Rod Black.

Of course during those days there was also Clay Young, who took to the meaning of wearing a wife beater a little too far and is now banished to Thunder Bay, forever. And Peter Young, a confident brash up and comer that is rumoured to have worn shorts while behind the desk. Neither of these were related to Angus Young, who definitely wore shorts while working and Malcolm Young, both have gone onto very lengthy and successful careers. Malcolm, sadly, suffers from dementia, has a one room spot in a personal care facility in his homeland, will never work again, but still has more of a brain than Clay Young.

I'm just waiting for Throw Long to chime in on the Wells family.

Beauregard regularly wore his hockey gear under the desk so that as soon as he was done, could bolt to his beer league game...

Just remember Leif Peterson?

Leif would always be paired up with Pinky Marsden on CTV for the Eastern games, while Frank Rigney and Dale Isaac did the Western games, with legendary Al McCann on the sidelines, whose biggest fear was getting out of the way of the horse in Calgary who had a penchant for running him over. I still say that while Don Wittman was probably the best play by play guy, I really liked Frank Rigney as a colour guy. What is it with ex-Bomber players going into broadcasting?

Wasn't it Don Whitman who was able to interview the terrorists at the Munich Olympics?

What an amazing career he had.

Seemed like a really nice old man. Then I found out who he was.... I Just remember telling my dad that night I had met Alvin Karpis & he just looked at me with an astonished look & said, "You met Alvin Karpis??"

So he didn't look creepy?

He didn't look creepy at all. I know that was his nickname but didn't know it at the time as I didn't even know who he was. Karpis looked old, broken down & beaten physically from years of being behind bars & solitary confinement. But he was still a sociopath. If it was the 1930's he'd have killed me if someone had given him a few bucks & not thought twice about it. March of 1971, he'd been out for awhile, in his mid 60's & he was doing a cross Canada media tour of his book, "Public Enemy Number One".

Just remember Leif Peterson?

Leif would always be paired up with Pinky Marsden on CTV for the Eastern games, while Frank Rigney and Dale Isaac did the Western games, with legendary Al McCann on the sidelines, whose biggest fear was getting out of the way of the horse in Calgary who had a penchant for running him over. I still say that while Don Wittman was probably the best play by play guy, I really liked Frank Rigney as a colour guy. What is it with ex-Bomber players going into broadcasting?

How could you forget the great Johnny Esaw!

47.jpg

He was pretty awful.

Rigney originally worked with Don Wittman when he was a CFL analyst with the CBC for about a decade after he retired from the Bombers after the 1967 season. Interesting story from what I recall. From 1968 through the early 70's Rigney used technology with the CBC called a Telestrator where he could draw the blocking schemes offensively & they would appear on everyone's tv screens. He became very proficient with it. He educated a lot of CFL fans like me about the OL pass & run blocking schemes & how they worked. It was a real treat just how fast Rigney could break down a play always from the perspective of an offensive lineman which is really as it should be. Story was NBC caught wind of Rigney & his Telestrator, liked what they saw & analyst Al DeRogadis learned how to use it on their AFL broadcasts in the booth with Curt Gowdy for years after. A little Canadian ingenuity went a long way.

Has everyone exhausted their Rod Black hate already? We are dipping into the past now when there is so much Rod Black suckiness to uncover. Rod Black doing a football game is like a baby crying while you line up in a grocery store but for 3 hours instead of 2 minutes. 

Has everyone exhausted their Rod Black hate already? We are dipping into the past now when there is so much Rod Black suckiness to uncover. Rod Black doing a football game is like a baby crying while you line up in a grocery store but for 3 hours instead of 2 minutes.

Me thinks they need more fuel. Give'em a few more on air broadcasts.