[MERGED] Power Rankings After Week 1

Noeller

Always good for some discussion...

http://www.cfl.ca/article/nissan-titan-power-rankings-bombers-make-big-leap

crop_19559190014.jpg

Calgary Stampeders 
Week 1 Ranking: 1 (Last Week: 1)
The Stampeders were able to squeak by Hamilton in their Grey Cup rematch off a last second field goal. Overcoming an uncharacteristic three-interception performance from Bo Levi Mitchell, the Stamps still looked like a force on both sides of the ball and were able to beat a quality opponent.

pw_2.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIQ5XTDLTZUAK
Hamilton Tiger-Cats
Week 1 Ranking: 2 (Last Week: 2)

Despite losing their opening game, the Ticats look like they will be a force in the East. Zach Collaros was able to spread the ball around to plenty of targets while Brandon Banks proved to still be a weapon on special teams. If there is an area of concern for Hamilton, it is a rushing attack that only managed 37 yards with their top three backs on the shelf.  They still went toe-to-toe with the best.

pw_3.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIQ5XTDLTZUAK
Toronto Argonauts
Week 1 Ranking: 3 (Last Week: 6)
Many Argos fans were forgetting about the injury to Ricky Ray while watching Trevor Harris' performance in Week 1. Making just his second career start, Harris picked apart a good Esks defence for 347 yards and three touchdowns. The team's inexperienced secondary also held its own against a top offence, allowing just 11 points.

pw_4.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIQ5XTDLTZUAK
Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Week 1 Ranking: 4 (Last Week: 8)

The Bombers made the biggest leap of any team in this week's rankings, jumping four spots. The Bombers were able to beat a tough rival in Saskatchewan with many of their off-season additions making good first impressions. It is up to Winnipeg to now maintain the performance on-field but the win was definitely a statement.

pw_5.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIQ5XTDLTZUAK
Saskatchewan Roughriders
Week 1 Ranking: 5 (Last Week: 4)
Just as soon as Darian Durant returned for Saskatchewan from injury, the team loses its star for the year after he ruptured his Achillies. The team looks like it may opt to lean more on its rushing attack, one that topped the league in Week 1. This is still a talented Riders team with an expreinced quarterback in Kevin Glenn but they start off the season on the wrong foot.

pw_6.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIQ5XTDLTZUAK
Edmonton Eskimos
Week 1 Ranking: 6 (Last Week: 3)
The Eskimos did not look like a team that had one of the top-ranked offences and defences from last season. Edmonton only mustered up 11 points and could be without Mike Reilly for the forseeable future. The roster still has weapons but they will need to start getting it together on the field before they find themselves in a hole.

pw_7.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIQ5XTDLTZUAK
BC Lions
Week 1 Ranking: 7 (Last Week: 7)
It would be unfair to the Lions or the rest of the league to move the team from its initial rankings when they have yet to play a game. BC squares off against a REDBLACKS team on a high after a come from behind win against the Alouettes and could be in tough facing a team with momentum.

pw_8.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIQ5XTDLTZUAK
Ottawa REDBLACKS
Week 1 Ranking: 8 (Last Week: 9)
The REDBLACKS showed that they are better than their expansion team from last season but still have work to do. Henry Burris threw three picks in the first half but Ottawa's new receiving corps came as advertised. Had it not been for a late interception and touchdown, the REDBLACKS could easily be staring at a 0-1 record. that said, they could be learning how to win games they never used to.

crop_19559112257.jpg
Montreal Alouettes
Week 1 Ranking: 9 (Last Week: 5)

After losing two quarterbacks in less than a quarter, the Alouettes look to be entering Week 2 with an unproven Brandon Bridge behind centre. With the loss to an Ottawa team that only managed a pair of wins last year, the Alouettes suddenly find themselves at the bottom of the power rankings and with plenty of questions at pivot.

Hard to argue with these rankings.  Pretty safe.

Stamps and Ticats look like 2 top teams, but I'd have a hard time ranking the Cats over the Argos after their performance last week.  Swapping the Cats and Argos and the Esks and Lions would be the only changes I'd make. 

I want to have the Riders lower after losing Durant and getting gashed by the Bombers in every element on D; but the reality is that I don't have anyone lower as showing better.  They've still got the best DL in the CFL, and a more-than-serviceable QB in Glenn.

1) Calgary

2) Toronto

3) Hamilton

4) Winnipeg

5) Sask

6) BC

7) Edmonton

8) Ottawa

9) Montreal

The new power rankings are out:

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

The Bombers made the biggest leap of any team in this week's rankings, jumping four spots. The Bombers were able to beat a tough rival in Saskatchewan with many of their off-season additions making good first impressions. It is up to Winnipeg to now maintain the performance on-field but the win was definitely a statement.

The new power rankings are out:

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Merged with the existing thread.

For once I agree with the Power Rankings they look fairly accurate; though I don't feel Calgary is as much a power house as it was.  Hamilton definitely has to be second if they aren't first since Calgary barely won that game  with a last second fg that could have went either way.  I'm not entirely sure if I would put Toronto ahead of Winnipeg but I guess we will determine that when Winnipeg and Toronto match up against each other.

BC should either be unranked because they haven't played yet or, at best, get a ranking ahead of the teams that lost.

The CFL rankings are more accurate and take into consideration whom the teams beat, or conversely, who they lost to.

The QB injuries will have a major effect on Montreal, Edmonton and Sask. - in that order, IMO.

Whereas Edmonton could have been battling for first, they will now battle for a playoff spot along with Sasatchewan.

BC is still an unknown, but they should be in the hunt, at least until we see them play a game.

Winnipeg's powerful offensive showing should give them a lead in battling for second in the West.

Hamilton and a surprising Toronto team will start the year 1 and 2.

Ottawa finally can see some hope with Montreal being hooped right off the bat.

Bring on week 2 although I'm a little leery about playing Hamilton with that last Hamilton whooping fresh in mind.

You could argue all day about the exact rankings, which is why I'd rather do tiers.

Tier 1

Calgary

Tier 2

Hamilton

Toronto

Tier 3

Winnipeg

Edmonton

BC

Saskatchewan

Tier 4

Ottawa

Montreal

Agree Mike - but I only ever do three tiers max (sometimes only two). 

Since there's nine teams, I group them in three. Now, I won't go crazy as it's only one game but to beat Sk in Sk is HUGE for the bombers and another step in the right direction. Still want to see more consistency on the defense, but I see it as:

1st Tier

Calgary

Hamilton 

Winnipeg

2nd Tier

Toronto

Saskatchewan

Edmonton

3rd Tier

Montreal 

B.C.

Ottawa

I only see it this way because B.C. hasn't played yet and not sure how Lulay will do. In  couple weeks, based on how Edmonton rebounds from that disaster in Fort Mac, B.C. and Edmonton could easily swap. 

This is so dynamic though given injuries and the subsequent roster moves, anything can still happen. In the CFL your team could be a disaster one week and look like the best team in the league the next, with the same personal.

BTW - anyone know when the players of week will be announced? Don't they have that done by now?

oops NVM - just checked the CFL website - it's now "top performers of the week" and the three chosen were Willy, Harris, and Fuller