FIFA Women's World Cup

gbill2004

The Canadian women's team is the 8th ranked team in the world. Playing China (another top 10 team) to a draw was the expected result, coming out with the win was pure bonus. 

Update

China has slipped in the rankings. Currently #16 

China spent most of the game blocking shots.  Still, I did expect Canada would find a way to break down their defence regardless of them essentially playing 11 goalies.

It's disappointing that Winnipeg's showcase day features an impenetrable layer of smoke in the atmosphere.  It's still breathable, but the effect is very Mt. Doom-like.

The Canadian women's team is the 8th ranked team in the world. Playing China (another top 10 team) to a draw was the expected result, coming out with the win was pure bonus. 

Update

China has slipped in the rankings. Currently #16 

China came out and played defensively from the outset.   Really taking away space and opportunities from the Canadians.  

It would have been something of an upset for Canada to lose to China .. especially as Canada needs to win their group to have a realistic chance of going deep in this tournament.

Atmosphere at the game tonight was awesome. Crowd was probably 95% Americans. I'm not a soccer fan but really gained an appreciation for the game seeing it live. Attendance was a little over 31,000.

If the game continued on the way it was played during the first 25 minutes, you were treated to a pretty entertaining match.  And the afternoon game was also said to be a crowd-pleaser.  I've noticed over the years that some World Cup host cities feature multiple great games while other cities get a collection of dogs.  Looks like Winnipeg might be one of the lucky cities this year.

Edmonton, on the other hand, had two 1-0 games, and the 1-0 score in the NZ-Netherlands game might have flattered both teams.  It was a mind-numbingly boring display of zero skill or pressure.  That minimum one of those two teams and China get to move on to the next round while two of the teams that put on a great exhibition here yesterday will have to go home is a shame.

Atmosphere at the game tonight was awesome. Crowd was probably 95% Americans. I'm not a soccer fan but really gained an appreciation for the game seeing it live. Attendance was a little over 31,000.

From CBC - For anyone from out of town: remember to have Canadian cash with you. While parking attendants at the more expensive lot will accept foreign currencies at par, the cheaper lot will only take Canadian cash.

Talk about a major RIP-OFF. Way to make the peg look good,

Worked both matches yesterday as a volunteer.  (Part of a larger group who promote volunteerism in the community as part of what we do)

It was excellent.   Huge crowd, over 31,000 in attendance.   I chatted with hundreds of fans from all over the world.   Over 75% of the tickets for the game were sold outside of Canada.   That is fantastic for our economy, as it is new money coming in.  (compared to the Regina Grey Cup, which re-circulated Saskatchewan money, but didn't bring outside money into the province.)   You can not get a hotel room in Winnipeg this week, and many are sold out in the nearby cities as well.   Restaurants are busy too with lots of tourists in town for the event.

Both matches were good entertaining events.  Plenty of goals (by soccer standards) and lots of close-call situations.   Fans were great, cheering hard, into the game, but never got out of control.

I'll be working both games on Friday too, and I'm looking forward to it.

From CBC - For anyone from out of town: remember to have Canadian cash with you. While parking attendants at the more expensive lot will accept foreign currencies at par, the cheaper lot will only take Canadian cash.

I've travelled by car all over the USA from North Dakota to the Pacific and South to California. Nowhere and  at no time could I use Canadian money. Not even to buy  cup of coffee. 

Walking the parking lot yesterday I saw plates from 35+ states. This maybe the biggest event Winnipeg has ever hosted. Although for people who complain about lines at Bomber games for concessions it was crazy to get anything yesterday with FIFA running everything.

Walking the parking lot yesterday I saw plates from 35+ states. This maybe the biggest event Winnipeg has ever hosted. Although for people who complain about lines at Bomber games for concessions it was crazy to get anything yesterday with FIFA running everything.

An interview I heard last night said they sold tickets to residents of all 50 states.

I've travelled by car all over the USA from North Dakota to the Pacific and South to California. Nowhere and  at no time could I use Canadian money. Not even to buy  cup of coffee. 

There was a time back in the 80's where I remember spending Canuck cash while vacationing in the US, but we were also usually within a 10 minute boat ride of the boarder.  It's not typical, just a campground more than happy to make some money giving 3 quarters for a dollar to a kid who wanted to play video games.  Nowadays the odd truck stop near the border will still exchange cash.

Radio panel last night were critical of the Canadian team. 

I watched most of the game, they look disorganized to me. 

And China might be better than the experts thought, it appears. 

Overall some great moments and a lot of boredom, kicking the ball back and forth, not much footwork that I can see, and not much completed

passes. Some of the shots on penalty kicks are really fun to see.

one thing I find surprising, (I know nothing about soccer) is the number of shots that hit the post.

It's really good to see the high attendance and the fan excitement around the tournament.

I prefer the womens game they don't go down like they are shot every time some gets two feet from them. Then they don't sit there rolling around in pain for a non existing injury.

There's lots of contact, and  collisions, and no fakery at all.  

I prefer the womens game they don't go down like they are shot every time some gets two feet from them. Then they don't sit there rolling around in pain for a non existing injury.

in watching the Canada/New Zealand game, it was told to me that unlike the mens game women only get an automatic 3mins OT whereas the men's game racks up that time a players down during the game (with that + time) for injury time they play off after regulation, so maybe theres method to the down for so long rolling around,  other then giving your guys a breather, not unlike taking an injury knee in football

in watching the Canada/New Zealand game, it was told to me that unlike the mens game women only get an automatic 3mins OT whereas the men's game racks up that time a players down during the game (with that + time) for injury time they play off after regulation, so maybe theres method to the down for so long rolling around,  other then giving your guys a breather, not unlike taking an injury knee in football

Yeah .. that's not entirely true .. women aren't limited to 3 minutes stoppage time .. the amount of extra time awarded is at the discretion of the referee based on injuries, subs or other "game interupting disturbances".  Also, if a scoring chance is occurring as the stoppage time is about to (or has elapsed) .. the ref will usually wait until the ball reaches a neutral area before calling the game.