Report - cjob to lose radio rights (real story)

The report going around especially from Saturday afternoon show on 1290 that they will be taking over rights to broadcast Blue Bombers radio is completely false. And today I spoke with someone close to CJOB and told me they have the rights thru 2018 and have first rights to re-negotiate during a 6 month window in final year.

There is something true about the Blue Bombers bringing in a new sidekick and host for the Blue Bombers radio coverage. Bob Irving may be on his way out after next season. So cue the rumors who who will be doing play-by-play.... quite possible the new sidekick might get the pbp duties. Geoff Currier did the sideline reporting for sometime but hasn't really been involved much as of late. My guess it will be someone new in the biz. There really isn't anyone locally besides Toth.

CJOB needs to amp up its sport department. Not sure who is in charge since Bob Irving retired. There really is nothing on that station anymore. They need to get some more sport shows on cause really I just listen to 1290 for everything except for BB coverage.

Bob Irving hasn't officially retired. He works part-time now.

1290's pre and post game coverage is much better than CJOB's.

The skill set difference between being sidleline reporter and being a Play by Play guy is quite significant.   Best potential local play by play guy is Darrin Bauming.   He does the call for the Rifle games, and it is professional quality.  IMHO, he'd be a good replacement for Bob Irving, once the legend decides to retire, regardless of which station holds the rights.

The skill set difference between being sidleline reporter and being a Play by Play guy is quite significant. Best potential local play by play guy is Darrin Bauming. He does the call for the Rifle games, and it is professional quality. IMHO, he'd be a good replacement for Bob Irving, once the legend decides to retire, regardless of which station holds the rights.

Bauming is very good and that makes some sense. Can't see him leaving TSN1290 though unless they made him sports director at CJOB.

Being play by play for the Bombers would be a upgrade over a fill in show host Bomber beat reporter for TSN.

Thing is CJOB is a dying station. TSN 1290 is on the up's.

CJOB is just a tired station.

If you can't see that, you're just not dialled in…week by week. (or something like that)

Being play by play for the Bombers would be a upgrade over a fill in show host Bomber beat reporter for TSN.

Thing is CJOB is a dying station. TSN 1290 is on the up's.

CJOB is just a tired station.

If you can't see that, you're just not dialled in…week by week. (or something like that)

Asides from their Bombers coverage, CJOB seems like a station for 80 year olds.

Not sure what Kelly's thoughts on the CFL are, but he's a hell of a broadcaster. Not sure what Bauming's PBP skills are like, but the guy loves the CFL and does a great job reporting. Either one seems like a good move...

Darrin Bauming doesn't have that epic voice so no Bauming will not be doing pbp anytime soon. My bet is Kelly Moore. Bob Irving has even lost a step in his pbp calling. Its expected. He gotta be tired just emotionally draining and i'm sure he wouldn't mind sitting back at home watching games as a cjob part-timer.

CJOB is actually a very, very successful station. Its not a station for 80 yr olds its a station for information. If you want politics you go to cjob or cbc radio. talking about pot holes. CJOB. talk about downtown biz. yup CJOB it is. CJOB is a business station and very good at it. The issue is the avg people dont enjoy listening to that and listening to commercials which is a cjob staple. The other issue that CJOB has is there are no underground agreements that capture different audiences. But that might change with the Manitoba Moose. CJOB might be getting those rights. Which gives CJOB a winter staple to its programming.

CJOB is actually a very, very successful station. Its not a station for 80 yr olds its a station for information. If you want politics you go to cjob or cbc radio. talking about pot holes. CJOB. talk about downtown biz. yup CJOB it is. CJOB is a business station and very good at it. The issue is the avg people dont enjoy listening to that and listening to commercials which is a cjob staple. The other issue that CJOB has is there are no underground agreements that capture different audiences. But that might change with the Manitoba Moose. CJOB might be getting those rights. Which gives CJOB a winter staple to its programming.

CJOBs ratings have been progressively declining the last few years.

CJOBs ratings have been progressively declining the last few years.

millions & millions served .... with commercials

"a little boy coming out of church for the first time was asked how he liked the service: "The singing was great but the commercials were too long"

That's how I feel about 'OB

It would not surprise me if 20 out of 60 broadcast minutes were commercials

Those 5 minute marathons are just too much

It feels like for the Coaches Show that commercials and wasted time recapping is about 80% of the show.

CJOB's coach's show is almost unlistenable- it seems to be about 15 minutes of actual sports chat and the rest is commercials and announcements. The whole purpose of their sports broadcasts is to squeeze in as much revenue-generation stuff as possible and when Irving is doing a solo broadcast, it is just sad how much 'OB cheaps out.

It's really easy. If ratings are up, and lots of people are listening, there will be tons of commercials because advertisers are looking for those listeners. If people stop listening, the advertisers will vacate, and there won't be commercials taking up time from content. But without those commercials, you have no content....

Thinking it could blast excessive amount of commercials just because it had proclaimed itself to be the Superstation is costing them. For the first time in eons they have lost the #1 spot last month for the AM shows. I guess to many the Q was a better show than Adler. When they synced the audio I would listen to Bob instead of TSN but the syncing has been hit and miss.

I wonder if Bob has been asked to stay because of what might happen when he goes. Now that they no longer take a color man with them on road trips it realy isn't the same.