Bombers release 2 vets

Goalie

Releasing Vega I understand ... we must like who we  signed so far

Morley: it would not surprise if Morley pushed the issue a bit:

"Am I in your plans?   ... Oh, OK ... how about releasing me then so I can catch on with another team?"

After being offered around for a late round draft pick, and no bites by trade/waiver ... now he is on the open market for a lot less money

Agent will be chatting with Ottawa, BC, Edmonton and who knows who else

Any doubt that this roughly how it went down?

Can you say "$90,000 1 year contract"?

Vega just didn't produce enough, he had a really poor season.  Morley was just a matter of time.

I still don't get all the Greg Peach hate here.  I expect him to start and have another career season, likely will hit double digits in sacks if he stays healthy.

I don't mind it although I'm surprised Greg Peach survived.

Greg Peach is vastly under-rated by the majority of posters on this board.

Peach might've been our best DL last year. I recall a few games sitting the stands and going, somewhat to my surprise: 'Woah! Peach." I like him. Tough. Hits hard.

It may be that either Vega lost his mojo or he is not going to be able to get past his injury bug.

It's possible that his turf toe hasn't fully healed yet, in which case training camp and the 2 a days would guarantee it would linger all season.  Vega hanging around town for a few months hoping it gets better is always a possibility.  I've seen the Bombers do that with players before, and until he's ready to go, clear a space on the roster for training camp.

But if the new guys are good enough, that job won't be waiting for him once he's healthy.

Vega wasn't living up to his contract and who knows, maybe will be offered a spot at reduced rate or a to invite? Morley might be in khan mode where it's stick around in case but otherwise feel free to look for another home..

Vega just didn't produce enough, he had a really poor season.  Morley was just a matter of time.

I still don't get all the Greg Peach hate here.  I expect him to start and have another career season, likely will hit double digits in sacks if he stays healthy.

Peach might've been our best DL last year. I recall a few games sitting the stands and going, somewhat to my surprise: 'Woah! Peach." I like him. Tough. Hits hard.

And the DL sucked balls last year for the most part. That's the thing about Peach. People don't hate him, they just recognize that if he's your depth that's fine, if he's your best then your DL sucks. 

And the DL sucked balls last year for the most part. That's the thing about Peach. People don't hate him, they just recognize that if he's your depth that's fine, if he's your best then your DL sucks. 

And it did.

Harrumph to the anti-Peach crowd. All's the guy did was put in a stalwart effort, game in game out, got a respectible number of sacks and a good D-line total of tackles...all in a putrid system. He should be acknowledged, not ho-hummed.

He will be like any other player on the Bombers. If he cannot make the grade, he will be replaced. He, at least, should be given the same chance and consideration on this board.

Harrumph to the anti-Peach crowd. All's the guy did was put in a stalwart effort, game in game out, got a respectible number of sacks and a good D-line total of tackles...all in a putrid system. He should be acknowledged, not ho-hummed.

He will be like any other player on the Bombers. If he cannot make the grade, he will be replaced. He, at least, should be given the same chance and consideration on this board.

No one is saying he's not a battler, just that he's not talented enough to be our best option at DE. People are fine with him as a rotational guy, but people justifiably want more from the position. It's akin to being happy with Rory Kohlert as your best receiver. 

Peach's 2 seasons under Etch-a-sketch were decent.  Definitely good enough to earn a camp invite. 

DE's a spot where the Bombers at this point honestly don't know who's in their 2015 plans.  I'm sure that they WANT Johnson, Booker and a 3rd new guy to be in their plans... but they need to see everyone in TC before they determine it.  In a situation like this... Peach has absolute value coming into TC as a known quantity, at least in a backup valve kind of way. 

Guys like Peach can absolutely be beaten out for jobs in TC... but it's nice to have SOME known quantities in case the new recruits underwhelm.

Rosters have to be down to 75 by May 1st. There will be a whole bunch of players released before Friday.

May 1st?  Are you sure?  I thought it was just by the start of main training camp.

Apparently Kyle Walters said that on CJOB yesterday. Penton quoted him in the Sun:

[G]eneral manager Kyle Walters said Monday. “We just wanted to wait until after mini-camp, and the rosters need to be reduced by May 1 down to 75.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/04/27/bombers-send-vets-morley-vega-packing

edit: I just read this:

Walters says the CFL mandate of reducing rosters from 85 to 75 players by May 1st factored in the timing of the decision to let Vega and Morely go, but predicts there will be more of these kinds of roster moves in the future. “What people need to understand, is the salary cap has gone up, but the percentage of Quarterbacks and Canadians are eating up more of that. So there is going to be much more of these difficult decisions and teams are going to have to figure out how to manage their cap. I think in the next few years, teams are going to maybe have to rely on those US scouting departments to have a constant turnover of young American guys coming in who can push the veterans. The reality of this situation with escalating salaries in certain areas is you’re going to have to rely on some young, unproven guys year in and year out that can help you win Grey Cups.”

http://www.cjob.com/2015/04/27/blue-bombers-cut-two-veterans/?sc_ref=twitter

I wonder if there's some more vets who might be out of work very soon.