Ticats looking to trade CDN DT's?

gbill2004

Interesting article from Drew Edwards: http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2015/04/ticats-have-glut-of-defensive-tackles-and-what-they-might-do-about-it.html

Speculation on Twitter is Walters might trade one of our top 3 picks for Gaydosh, considering it's a Grey Cup year. I wouldn't make that trade, especially considering Gaydosh is a rental looking to explore NFL after this year.

What would you give up for one of these Canadian DT's?

Evan gill for our 15!

When we can likely get Gill for free as a free agent next offseason?
just because he may reach free agency next year doesn't mean its likely we sign him then. Way too many factors for that. That's just wishful thinking, imo

I'd give up our 3rd pick for Gaydosh, but I doubt Hamilton would go for it.

3rd rounder id do.. even if its for one season.. this way if he does bolt, we have an upperhand when he comes back..
Pretty sure he meant our 3rd pick (15 overall). Don't believe we have a 3rd rounder this year.

3rd rounder id do.. even if its for one season.. this way if he does bolt, we have an upperhand when he comes back..
Pretty sure he meant our 3rd pick (15 overall). Don't believe we have a 3rd rounder this year.

then id definitely not do it.. too deep a draft to waste a second rounder on a player who may never be back after one season..

much rather draft a lineman who may take a year or two to develop but could become a staple on our lines versus a guy who goes down south for any extended period of time..

Interesting article from Drew Edwards: http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2015/04/ticats-have-glut-of-defensive-tackles-and-what-they-might-do-about-it.html

Speculation on Twitter is Walters might trade one of our top 3 picks for Gaydosh, considering it's a Grey Cup year. I wouldn't make that trade, especially considering Gaydosh is a rental looking to explore NFL after this year.

Who exactly is doing this speculating on Twitter? The Edwards article does not mention the Bombers or any potential interest we might have.

Even though he's a one year rental? I think Austin would jump at that in a second.

Wanting to try the NFL again and making it in the NFL are two entirely different things.  Most players would love to take an NFL shot at the end of their contracts.  Gaydosh needs starting time to get any chance at all and he won't get that in Hamilton.  He'd get rotation time at the least in Winnipeg, but even that isn't likely to give him a great chance in the NFL.  Like any other player, he'd have a chance to go the free agent route, but we'd have as good a chance to re-sign him at the end of the season as any other player.

Gaydosh is a former 1st overall pick who has a years NFL experience and a years CFL experience.  From Hamilton's standpoint he's likely worth more than the 15th pick in this years draft.  He'd upgrade our Canadian talent level and would be at least a rotation guy from day one.  You can't say that about anyone we'd be able to draft with the 15th overall.  

I like Floyd's idea too.... Gaydosh for Newman.

15 for Gaydosh? I wouldn't mind that deal. So what if it is only for one year? You could get only two or three years out of a draft pick and who knows if they will ever be a good player. We need more options for Canadian starters and Gaydosh would do that. And there is no guarantee it is only for one year... Maybe he never leaves. Maybe he leaves for a year and comes right back here anyways. I think it would be worth it.

Gaydosh could anchor our d-line for years, much as Dougie did. I'm not sure I would bend over backwards too much for him, particularly if we can draft Waud, but it is looking less and less likely that our two wayward draft choices who are floating around in the the US of A will be coming here anytime soon.

Who exactly is doing this speculating on Twitter? The Edwards article does not mention the Bombers or any potential interest we might have.
Go look on Twitter. It was Drew Edwards and a few other CFL Twitter type people.

Evan gill for our 15!

Next offseason?

He won't likely be a free agent next offseason. Especially with 5 of their Canadian defensive tackles looking at free agency after this season.

Didn't he say he'd like to play for the Bombers prior to being drafted? If he wants to, he just doesn't re-sign with the Ticats and then he's a free agent Feb 2016.

Evan gill for our 15!

Next offseason?

He won't likely be a free agent next offseason. Especially with 5 of their Canadian defensive tackles looking at free agency after this season.

Didn't he say he'd like to play for the Bombers prior to being drafted? If he wants to, he just doesn't re-sign with the Ticats and then he's a free agent Feb 2016.

Gill hasn't even signed his first deal yet and is not allowed to sign a one year deal under the terms of the CBA so he's Hamilton property unless they decide otherwise until 2017 at the earliest.

I understand the thinking in trading pick 15 for Gaydosh, especially in a Grey Cup year, but I still probably wouldn't do it. But if Walters did it, I wouldn't fault him. It's the one year rental that scares me, then he tries the NFL and if he doesn't make it, no guarantee he returns to Winnipeg.

Evan gill for our 15!

Next offseason?

Gill hasn't even signed his first deal yet and is not allowed to sign a one year deal under the terms of the CBA so he's Hamilton property unless they decide otherwise until 2017 at the earliest.

Oh really? Did he not sign a 2 year deal with the Ticats when he was drafted?

Evan gill for our 15!

Next offseason?

Oh really? Did he not sign a 2 year deal with the Ticats when he was drafted?

Opted to go back to school instead and didn't sign a deal prior to going back because he wanted the option to pursue the NFL this offseason.