White Cop Shoots Black Man, Charged With Murder

But...I see it as somewhat of a red herring.  Im sure there were costs involved in outfitting patrol cars with cameras too and where is all that video stored.  We all know storage gets cheaper and cheaper.

We outfitted our nightclub/hotel with cameras at a time when no one else was really doing that.  My boss asked "do you want metal detectors or cameras?"  I said absolutely 100% cameras.  Way better use of money.  metal detectors in bars are useless (but thats another story).

Im on both sides here.  Technology exists to put cameras everywhere.  Put them in cockpits.  Put them on buildings.  Put them on street corners.

I went to London in 1997 and my cousin was a cop.  He gave me a tour of one of their surveillence centers.  It was unbelievable.  They could follow a person down the street.  Everyone cries "privacy" here.  But look at the homeless killer and so many other crimes, cops release pictures and video from private cameras.  No one bats an eye but they sure are glad to have that evidence when its needed. 

On the other hand, I dont think cops should be under an inherent level of mis-trust where they *must* have cameras to prove their conducted themselves appropriately.  I honestly think part of it is training.  i think there is the mentality of "do you want to go home tonight?" and it creates a heightened sense of "do what I have to do" whereas the public expects an increased level of heroics from police.  We often see heroic police officer.  But in the case of the Baltimore death, how many cops does it take to secure an arrest?  I've seen that a lot...its almost a pack mentality,.  Adrenaline flows and 20 people on scene want to be engaged and "helping" when really, it actually gets in the way.  You need to be very in control of your emotions, actions and environment.  We expect that of police though.

There are three investigations going on into the Baltimore death.  What the rioters and looters and criminals are doing there has nothing to do with protesting.

I may know someone who worked on a project with car and vest cameras and I may have seen just how expensive it costs.

So while the go pro cameras may cost 500 per officer..the actual cost is way higher I'd imagine in a place like Baltimore it would be around 4 - 5 million per year which is closer to 1500 per officer...

That guess is on the lower side...

Cameras are a good investment not just in catching the big bad cops, but in protecting them.  As far as video taping goes, I hope all police forces remind their officers that the public has a right to record officers doing their jobs.

There was an incident this past week of the police illegally confiscating an APTN camera.  When their lawyer called, he was hung up on but the police returned the camera with the data intact.  Silly move on the part of the police.

I recorded a traffic stop once (I was the one stopped, passenger filmed).  The RCMP officer immediately told my passenger to stop filming.  He shouldn't have.  If I recall there was an incident in Assiniboine Park a few years ago when some young people were stopped, they were filming and when they refused to stop filming, they were arrested. 

There is always the consideration of safety when someone is filming an officer.  But public rights and perception trump this aspect in my opinion.  Do cops still wear their names on their uniforms?  i'd be okay with them not wearing their names and only wearing their numbers.

At our bar, I admit there were times when someone threatening to kill us stuck a camera phone in our face.  That never ended well for their phone. 

I knew a guy who lived right by that plane crash on Logan a few years ago.  He was a videographer and rushed outside with his camera, stood on the sidewalk and was filming.  Cops told him to stop.  He did not, they physically restrained him, and arrested him and refused to give his camera back.  ofcourse, they were wrong and had to eventually drop the charges and give back the camera but the cost was several thousand dollars in legal fees. 

That is one of the reasons there is mis-trust between cops and civilians.  Everyone has a camera now.  Embrace it.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/29/us/baltimore-where-is-joseph-kent/index.html

There's an example of idiotic police behaviour.  Do they need a PR person to give them advice before making arrests?

The video is at that link.  I didnt listen to audio so no idea what was said.  Here's what happened.  It's Baltimore.  It's after curfew.  Riot gear are lined up.  Several "protestors" had thrown objects at police.  Police responded by firing gas canisters which dispersed the crowd.  This person walks out in front of the police with his hands up.  Remember, it is after curfew.

Slowly, a police Hummer drives towards the man.  When the Hummer gets between the CNN camera and the man, several police step from their line and arrest him.

Police were well within their rights to arrest him (despite idiots on twitter accusing the police of committing a live kidnapping).  But why on earth would they go out of their way to block the news camera?  Nothing screams "we have something to hide" more than **** like that.  Idiots.

Bundy standoff.

The white law breaking armed people did not have to run from the police. As far as I know they're still there, ignoring the law (specific court orders) with impunity. Quite different than the treatment a black person gets for running from the police.

"The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported that tensions reached a "critical level" during the standoff, "with rifles pointing toward each side." Las Vegas station KLAS-TV also reported that guns were pointed at officers. Assistant Sheriff Lombardo recounted that "they were in my face yelling profanities and pointing weapons," and said, "We were outgunned, outmanned, and there would not have been a good result from it."

A photojournalist for Reuters wrote that armed supporters had "taken up tactical positions on government officers," and that one man pointing a rifle in the direction of BLM employees said, "I've got a clear shot at four of them."] Another man said, "I'm ready to pull the trigger if fired upon."

Bundy militia supporters had established a persistent presence along roads, that they had set up checkpoints for citizens to prove residence, and that they had established an armed presence around churches, a school, and other community locations. One local resident said that neighbors on their way to an Easter Sunday church service were greeted by armed militia members, causing some of them not to enter "for fear and disgust of having their church basically held captive." According to the Associated Press, Cliven Bundy acknowledged "creating a stir", saying that there may have been weapons in the parking lot, but there were none in the church"

If these people were black and living in the inner city, they'd be dead or in jail. para military black people in the inner city, with weapons trained on the police? It wouldn't be tolerated for five minutes. They'd bring in tanks, choppers, and the national guard, fully armed and willing to use their weapons. with complete agreement from the public.

Meanwhile, In Baltimore, male dies due to spinal cord injury while in police custody and the city decides to the riot and loot. And they call this "protesting".

Started with High School students deciding to "Purge". Several police injured, some seriously. Haven't heard of any of the cops shooting anyone though. Sounds like remarkable restraint on behalf of law enforcement.

Many people in Baltimore, including those related to the original person who died, expressed embarrassment over the "riots".

In more shocking news, Baltimore police say they have a credible threat that three gangs, including the Bloods and Crips have joined forces to attack and kill police officers.

And this, to me, is why facts and not emotion must rule the day. because there are too many people that take the position "what?, cop shot a black dude? Let's go steal a TV." or worse, throw cinder blocks at firefighters as they respond to calls. That's not protesting.

Great job of highlighting the larger socioeconomic issues that have led to social and racial oppression that necessarily lead to the tragic and needless deaths of those held captive and controlled by the system.

That is the point you were trying to make, right?

Wait a minute....

Nope. Your sarcasm aside my point was about the losers that hide behind the "we have to do something" when they dont actually give a flying fig. There are, I believe, three investigations on-going into the death of the victim. But hey, a night of violence and looting will get to the bottom of everything. And thats not a commentary on any ethnic group, it's a commentary on specific losers.

Perhaps the sarcasm was unfair. I have just grown very tired of the microscopic view of incidents that have come up in this thread that completely ignore systemic issues.

The problem is that "if you don't want to get shot then don't run" or "looters are losers" gets to the bottom of absolutely nothing. And investigations into these incidents will, I have little doubt, teach us that if only more people obeyed the law we'd have less people getting killed, which, once again, gets us nowhere.

ok but what does rioting, burning cars and buildings, attacking police officers and essentially anarchy do to make things better? Im pretty sure if people stop running from cops, resisting arrest or attempting to disarm a cop then injury and death tend to stop happening...

what needs to happen unfortunately is proactive solutions.. vest cameras and recording devices,better training and testing of officers for mental issues and racist views... there is no other quick fix.. no magic trick to undo the Crappy situations American police departments find themselves in..

You're absolutely right, except that you just listed a bunch of quick fixes.

And in no way am I condoning violence, what I'm saying is violence is not the problem, it's the symptom of a much, much larger problem that goes beyond law enforcement.

My point is articulated much better http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/listen-to-septembre-anderson-on-why-baltimore-is-about-police-violence-not-broken-windows. I wouldn't say I agree whole-heartedly with everything, but I think the main message is relevant and valid.

Edit: another good article http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/04/29/we-shouldnt-condone-the-baltimore-riots-but-lets-stop-calling-them-senseless/

Edit #2: And perhaps the best article: http://www.theonion.com/articles/baltimore-residents-urged-to-stay-indoors-until-so,38511/

Bundy standoff.

The white law breaking armed people did not have to run from the police. As far as I know they're still there, ignoring the law (specific court orders) with impunity. Quite different than the treatment a black person gets for running from the police.

"The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported that tensions reached a "critical level" during the standoff, "with rifles pointing toward each side." Las Vegas station KLAS-TV also reported that guns were pointed at officers. Assistant Sheriff Lombardo recounted that "they were in my face yelling profanities and pointing weapons," and said, "We were outgunned, outmanned, and there would not have been a good result from it."

A photojournalist for Reuters wrote that armed supporters had "taken up tactical positions on government officers," and that one man pointing a rifle in the direction of BLM employees said, "I've got a clear shot at four of them."] Another man said, "I'm ready to pull the trigger if fired upon."

Bundy militia supporters had established a persistent presence along roads, that they had set up checkpoints for citizens to prove residence, and that they had established an armed presence around churches, a school, and other community locations. One local resident said that neighbors on their way to an Easter Sunday church service were greeted by armed militia members, causing some of them not to enter "for fear and disgust of having their church basically held captive." According to the Associated Press, Cliven Bundy acknowledged "creating a stir", saying that there may have been weapons in the parking lot, but there were none in the church"

If these people were black and living in the inner city, they'd be dead or in jail. para military black people in the inner city, with weapons trained on the police? It wouldn't be tolerated for five minutes. They'd bring in tanks, choppers, and the national guard, fully armed and willing to use their weapons. with complete agreement from the public.

At least the black rioters in Baltimore were smart enough not to carry or brandish guns.  One shot fired in the direction of the police and the results could have been ugly as many were armed with machine guns.  The militarization of police forces in the last 20 years in equipment and training is both astounding and worrisome.

perhaps the cops showed restrait to try and defuse the situation. they killed 1 guy to set off this ramage in 1 city, would killing a ton off ppl set the entire country off? seems these glorified stories happen periodically with enough time inbetween to settle the tension to prevent an all out nationwide revolt

I think the police showed remarkable restraint.  You see literally thousands of people breaking the law, acting violent, robbing and destroying property and you do very little because you want to defuse the situation.  Remarkable restraint.  In the hundreds of arrests made, I havent seen (which is not to say it hasnt happened) anyone accusing the police of acting improperly aside from the "live kidnapping idiocy" mentioned in a previous post of mine.

Americans are gun crazy.  The police have to have bigger weapons because the criminals do.  Its a terrible cycle.  I think the average American would be fine with fun control but the gun lobby is so vast and powerful, its a difficult proposition.  When the lobby begins citing the constitution, Americans say "oh yeah, the constitution, well if it's in there then we should keep it".  Would love to see an equally powerful challenge of the "right to bear arms".  I think common sense tells us this was not what the founding fathers had in mind.

Common sense would be obvious thats not what they had in mind, but then again, i don't know if many people use much common sense these days period. "right to bear arms" is however open to interpretation. A right to bear arms for protection of your family while your being home invaded (and it does happen, even in Canada,) is one thing, a right to strut through the streets with it concealed is another. Theres really no stopping illegal arms dealing anywhere at any time, but amendments to the right to bear arms part of the constitution would be a start. Or make ammunition illegal.

But as Boyz in ttha Hood touches on, its about population control in less then desirable places. When 1 thug kills another thug, there might be some fallout with 1 crew vs another but not usually big news, or even socially upsetting, but when a cop kills a guy, a city goes stupid, I wouldn't be surprised if the legit gun dealers also line many pockets of government officials the way big tobacco companies have in the past so thats also a cash cow for a country constantly in crazy bad debt and after all the crazy bs from school shootings to people hiding in their trunks and sniperring ppl for shits n giggles, they have no interest in making changes.

Bundy standoff.

"The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported that tensions reached a "critical level" during the standoff, "with rifles pointing toward each side." Las Vegas station KLAS-TV also reported that guns were pointed at officers.Assistant Sheriff Lombardo recounted that "they were in my face yelling profanities and pointing weapons," and said, "We were outgunned, outmanned, and there would not have been a good result from it."

Bundy militia supporters had established a persistent presence along roads, that they had set up checkpoints for citizens to prove residence, and that they had established an armed presence around churches, a school, and other community locations.One local resident said that neighbors on their way to an Easter Sunday church service were greeted by armed militia members, causing some of them not to enter "for fear and disgust of having their church basically held captive." According to the Associated Press, Cliven Bundy acknowledged "creating a stir", saying that there may have been weapons in the parking lot, but there were none in the church"

At least the black rioters in Baltimore were smart enough not to carry or brandish guns.  One shot fired in the direction of the police and the results could have been ugly as many were armed with machine guns.  The militarization of police forces in the last 20 years in equipment and training is both astounding and worrisome.

Astounding and worrisome? How about the fact gangsters and criminals are now often betterarmed then those militaristic police officers.. Heavy body armor, bullet proof cars, heavy assault weapons with extended clips and armor piercing ammo.. Buy yea, your right.. Let's keep officer barbrady armed with a Smith and Wesson snub nose .38 and if it gets craaaaazy.. That ole pump action mossburg..

Smh.

Bundy standoff.

"The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported that tensions reached a "critical level" during the standoff, "with rifles pointing toward each side." Las Vegas station KLAS-TV also reported that guns were pointed at officers.Assistant Sheriff Lombardo recounted that "they were in my face yelling profanities and pointing weapons," and said, "We were outgunned, outmanned, and there would not have been a good result from it."

Bundy militia supporters had established a persistent presence along roads, that they had set up checkpoints for citizens to prove residence, and that they had established an armed presence around churches, a school, and other community locations.One local resident said that neighbors on their way to an Easter Sunday church service were greeted by armed militia members, causing some of them not to enter "for fear and disgust of having their church basically held captive." According to the Associated Press, Cliven Bundy acknowledged "creating a stir", saying that there may have been weapons in the parking lot, but there were none in the church"

Astounding and worrisome? How about the fact gangsters and criminals are now often betterarmed then those militaristic police officers.. Heavy body armor, bullet proof cars, heavy assault weapons with extended clips and armor piercing ammo.. Buy yea, your right.. Let's keep officer barbrady armed with a Smith and Wesson snub nose .38 and if it gets craaaaazy.. That ole pump action mossburg..

Smh.

In this volatile environment your point is understandable but my worries arise when police representing governments use the same military equipment and tactics to aggressively up-end peaceful protests like the 2010 G-20 in T.O.

As an aside.. I commend everyone for staying away from the race issues and kept it on excessive force and stupidity riots..

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not. Ignoring race ignores the primary issue and the lack of addressing it has practically invited what has been going on.

Bundy standoff.

Smh.

Have a look at what cops in England use

I think the police showed remarkable restraint.  You see literally thousands of people breaking the law, acting violent, robbing and destroying property and you do very little because you want to defuse the situation.  Remarkable restraint.  In the hundreds of arrests made, I havent seen (which is not to say it hasnt happened) anyone accusing the police of acting improperly aside from the "live kidnapping idiocy" mentioned in a previous post of mine.

Americans are gun crazy.  The police have to have bigger weapons because the criminals do.  Its a terrible cycle.  I think the average American would be fine with fun control but the gun lobby is so vast and powerful, its a difficult proposition.  When the lobby begins citing the constitution, Americans say "oh yeah, the constitution, well if it's in there then we should keep it".  Would love to see an equally powerful challenge of the "right to bear arms".  I think common sense tells us this was not what the founding fathers had in mind.

To bad they didnt show that remarkable restraint before they killed Freddie Gray.

Bundy standoff.

Smh.

Have a look at what cops in England use

Bobbies with billy's???  Please inform.

Here is a story on Baltimore drug war policing, which is a major component of the context of Freddy Grey's death. Spoiler: it's brutal and anti-consitutional but no one gives a ****.

http://www.vice.com/read/david-simon-talks-about-where-the-baltimore-police-went-wrong-429

Also today, the six cops involved were hit with a variety of charges from the state attorney, the gnarliest being second-degree murder.

You all realize we're going to have enough material to keep this thread going for a very very long time.

I think the police showed remarkable restraint. You see literally thousands of people breaking the law, acting violent, robbing and destroying property and you do very little because you want to defuse the situation. Remarkable restraint. In the hundreds of arrests made, I havent seen (which is not to say it hasnt happened) anyone accusing the police of acting improperly aside from the "live kidnapping idiocy" mentioned in a previous post of mine.

Americans are gun crazy. The police have to have bigger weapons because the criminals do. Its a terrible cycle. I think the average American would be fine with fun control but the gun lobby is so vast and powerful, its a difficult proposition. When the lobby begins citing the constitution, Americans say "oh yeah, the constitution, well if it's in there then we should keep it". Would love to see an equally powerful challenge of the "right to bear arms". I think common sense tells us this was not what the founding fathers had in mind.

To bad they didnt show that remarkable restraint before they killed Freddie Gray.

You're right. But that's bo Defense for what the "protesters" have done. The cops were duly investigated and charged.

Here is some context on how Baltimore drug war policing, which is a major component of the context of Freddy Grey's death. Spoiler: it's brutal and anti-consitutional but no one gives a ****.

http://www.vice.com/read/david-simon-talks-about-where-the-baltimore-police-went-wrong-429

Also today, the six cops involved in Freddy Gray's death were hit with a variety of charges from the state attorney, the gnarliest being second-degree murder.

You all realize we're going to have enough material to keep this thread going for a very very long time.

Wow, that was a great article.  Thanks.

I think the police showed remarkable restraint. You see literally thousands of people breaking the law, acting violent, robbing and destroying property and you do very little because you want to defuse the situation. Remarkable restraint. In the hundreds of arrests made, I havent seen (which is not to say it hasnt happened) anyone accusing the police of acting improperly aside from the "live kidnapping idiocy" mentioned in a previous post of mine.

Americans are gun crazy. The police have to have bigger weapons because the criminals do. Its a terrible cycle. I think the average American would be fine with fun control but the gun lobby is so vast and powerful, its a difficult proposition. When the lobby begins citing the constitution, Americans say "oh yeah, the constitution, well if it's in there then we should keep it". Would love to see an equally powerful challenge of the "right to bear arms". I think common sense tells us this was not what the founding fathers had in mind.

You're right. But that's bo Defense for what the "protesters" have done. The cops were duly investigated and charged.

Of course its a great defense for it.

Would be no protesters if they showed restraint in the first place.

Cops cant just be going off killing people. 

It should also be noted that according to the Maryland prosecutor, Gray was falsely arrested -- the cops picked him up for illegal possession of a knife, but the knife he was carrying was legal.

The cops did not have a justification to put him in the van. He was basically kidnapped and killed.

It should also be noted that according to the Maryland prosecutor, Gray was falsely arrested -- the cops picked him up for illegal possession of a knife, but the knife he was carrying was legal.

The cops did not have a justification to put him in the van. He was basically kidnapped and killed.

From my understanding the knife wasent found until he was chased down.

What i heard on CNN is he made eye contact with police and he ran. They chased him and the **** show begins.