Game 80 : Jets @ Blues

rough game is fine, but the blues like to shove their sticks in peoples face. way too much of that, and other similar crap.

at the end of the game, a blues player was shoving his stick in stuart's face, stuart was lying on the ice.

The blues are really dirty.

One aspect of things I was thinking about while listening to the Big Show guys this morning is team unity.  They played a clip of Maurice last night saying the guys love being around each other and it's something I've heard other commentators say repeatedly, that the team clearly gets along on and off the ice.  You see a level of battle and fight and support for each other every game.  And the hand shaking is another example of this.  Jeff O'Neil called it "shaking hands like men".

Is this the normal by-product of a long and hard fought season or can we trace some of this unity to the big trade?  Not only the talent that came back (and I question whether we'd be in this position fighting for a spot without Myers and Stafford) and not only that they have both seemingly fit in so well, but in being rid of Kane.  I know he was close to some members of the team but the team now seems more tight knit than ever.

One aspect of things I was thinking about while listening to the Big Show guys this morning is team unity.  They played a clip of Maurice last night saying the guys love being around each other and it's something I've heard other commentators say repeatedly, that the team clearly gets along on and off the ice.  You see a level of battle and fight and support for each other every game.  And the hand shaking is another example of this.  Jeff O'Neil called it "shaking hands like men".

Is this the normal by-product of a long and hard fought season or can we trace some of this unity to the big trade?  Not only the talent that came back (and I question whether we'd be in this position fighting for a spot without Myers and Stafford) and not only that they have both seemingly fit in so well, but in being rid of Kane.  I know he was close to some members of the team but the team now seems more tight knit than ever.

Maurice has pointed out that the players own this. Hes also pointed out how easy it is to coach this team because of it.

The overall leadership on this team seems to run deep. 

Ladd, Buff, Wheeler, Stuart, Little and I would also add Staf and Myers to a lesser degree. Maybe even Toby?

A great bunch of leaders.

Maurice has them playing as a TEAM, not individuals. They seem to be unselfish and only care about each other and the team.

Maurice is one of the best moves Chevy has made and he should get GM of the year in my opinion.

Ladd, Buff, Wheeler, Stuart, Little and I would also add Staf and Myers to a lesser degree. Maybe even Toby?

Maurice has them playing as a TEAM, not individuals. They seem to be unselfish and only care about each other and the team.

Maurice is one of the best moves Chevy has made and he should get GM of the year in my opinion.

You could even throw guys like Harrison and Thorburn into the mix.  Not superstars but stand-up guys from all accounts.

I think something we lost sight of during the season when it comes to guys like Stu and Thorburn is that they might not be the flashiest guys or even guys that can contribute every single game...but they are key guys this time of year and into the playoffs.

Lawless wrote an article today where he suggested Chevy should be up for GM of the year.  I cant disagree.  He orchestrated the biggest trade of the year and time will tell if the Jets won the trade but certainly in the short term they did.  And the key pieces he picked up are looking tremendous.  We got nervous watching other teams pick up role players but Chevy seemed to get the guys he wanted and they are more than just stats.  When the Pens got Winnick I thought we missed out.  I dont know what Winnick has done since the trade but the Pens are in free-fall.  Stemp and Tlusty seem to be helping us in many ways.

Chevy got some players that are rally helping....I'd offer Stemp a raise up to about 1.3 or so for 2 years...

I'd offer Staff a contract but is he worth the 4 he is pulling in this year??? and for how long???

Tlusty has come on and is a great addition to the 4th line...that line is really playing well as of late.

I dont think he is worht the 2.95 he is getting though.

Myers is here for a while yet and a bargain at what he is getting paid... 5 next year and then 4, 3.5, 3.

He is only 25 years old so his best days are in front of him.

Chevy for GM of the year!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive read others say Stafford might be more about term than money.  Its a small sample size but I'd like to keep him.  If he will resign for $4million and take a 2 year deal, I'd do it.  He might want 3-4 years though.

I've also heard some "experts" say Tlusy could be a 2nd line player on some teams.  I'd like to keep him but I think he's the one that goes.

The coach is looking pretty smart these days too.

He's manoevered the team through some tough spots this season.

In post game interviews, he usually says something informative, doesn't dodge questions, doesn't give non answers, doesn't talk down the the reporter, or the fans.... always credits the players, not himself.

I'm sure there's lots more than I can list.

He's impressive.

Great call.. I've been a huge fan of Maurice since his Carolina days when he had a decent team playing well beyond their abilities and made some big noise in 09 before losing out to the pens..

The coach is looking pretty smart these days too.

He's manoevered the team through some tough spots this season.

In post game interviews, he usually says something informative, doesn't dodge questions, doesn't give non answers, doesn't talk down the the reporter, or the fans.... always credits the players, not himself.

I'm sure there's lots more than I can list.

He's impressive.