The Star Trek Thread!

Michael Learned (also played Katherine Chancellor on Y&R when the original actress was sick) is always the example used.  Which sort of proves the rule.  She's the only one anyone can think of lol.  After three episodes, I dont find her name jarring at all.  Maybe we'll find she was an only child and named after a dear Uncle or grandfather (or Grandmother)

6 hours ago, Logan007 said:

I never liked the Waltons.

Goodnight Olivia, (Goodnight) Goodnight John, (Goodnight) Goodnight Ma, (Goodnight) Goodnight Pa, (Goodnight) Goodnight Mary Ellen, (Goodnight) Goodnight Jason, (Goodnight) Goodnight Mary Beth, (Goodnight) Goodnight Elizabeth, (Goodnight) Goodnight Ben, (Goodnight) Goodnight John Boy... John Boy?? John Boy??? JOHN BOY??? We know about your Playboy collection hidden between the mattresses! (Damn!)

23 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Goodnight Olivia, (Goodnight) Goodnight John, (Goodnight) Goodnight Ma, (Goodnight) Goodnight Pa, (Goodnight) Goodnight Mary Ellen, (Goodnight) Goodnight Jason, (Goodnight) Goodnight Mary Beth, (Goodnight) Goodnight Elizabeth, (Goodnight) Goodnight Ben, (Goodnight) Goodnight John Boy... John Boy?? John Boy??? JOHN BOY??? We know about your Playboy collection hidden between the mattresses! (Damn!)

30s man there was no playboy...national geo maybe.

9 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

After ep 4 maybe they should have set it 30 after TNG.

Spinning saucer now? WTF?!

I'm okay with it. The bigger issue for me are the Klingons. I don't like them. There is absolutely no redeeming quality about them. If we have to put up with a bunch of bald headed creatures who keep standing around barely able to speak because of plastic prosthetics in their mouths while  talking about T'Kuvmah  & doing little else it'll become painful. There is no talk of the glory of war, for dying with honour for a noble  cause. Just religious crap that is boring. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

52 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

After ep 4 maybe they should have set it 30 after TNG.

Spinning saucer now? WTF?!

What spinning saucers did they have in TNG?   Why would we think they can’t spin a saucer?  

They clearly said this ship was built to strict specifications for the spore drive. 

Visuals are updated. 

It’s fine. 

Thanks to Worf on both the TNG & Deep Space Nine we got to know the Klingons & understand their values. Now, that's all been thrown out the proverbial space dock starting over.  I just can't see these Klingons ever developing any likeable characteristics. Celebrating & telling stories of victories in battle with blood wine & singing songs about Kayless. Damn, I miss those Klingons. The Klingons in Discovery? Just blow them up & kill them all. I can't wait to see what they've done to the Romulans. 

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Thanks to Worf on both the TNG & Deep Space Nine we got to know the Klingons & understand their values. Now, that's all been thrown out the proverbial space dock starting over.  I just can't see these Klingons ever developing any likeable characteristics. Celebrating & telling stories of victories in battle with blood wine & singing songs about Kayless. Damn, I miss those Klingons. The Klingons in Discovery? Just blow them up & kill them all. I can't wait to see what they've done to the Romulans. 

these are the Klingons, before they have settled their differences with the federation.  of course they won't have any redeeming qualities. they are the federations mortal enemies for this series.

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Klingons in TNG were very different from the Klingons in TOS and even the TOS films.

We are seeing a snapshot of certain Klingons.  Since Enterprise is canon and we know there is a Klingon homeworld, we can assume there is some limited government.  They dont have 100 houses.  They have 24 so there is respect for that structure.  There is a relationship between the houses. 

We can assume that the houses will come together more formally (or stay together since they have said they are united during war) and remain that way, give or take.  Even in TNG time, there was a lot of conflict and intrigue among the Kilingon government.  In fact, same with TOS films (they conspired to kill their own Chancellor to maintain a war footing with the Federation).

I dont think Discovery Klingons are acting out of character from what we've seen or what we know.

The "honor" thing in TNG was a bit over-stated since we saw Klingons act dishonorably many times.   Worf was raised by humans and came from a disgraced Klingon house.  So he idealized Klingon culture and essentially represented the best of what Klingons claimed to be.

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The Klingons in TNG were very different from the Klingons in TOS and even the TOS films.

We are seeing a snapshot of certain Klingons.  Since Enterprise is canon and we know there is a Klingon homeworld, we can assume there is some limited government.  They dont have 100 houses.  They have 24 so there is respect for that structure.  There is a relationship between the houses. 

We can assume that the houses will come together more formally (or stay together since they have said they are united during war) and remain that way, give or take.  Even in TNG time, there was a lot of conflict and intrigue among the Kilingon government.  In fact, same with TOS films (they conspired to kill their own Chancellor to maintain a war footing with the Federation).

I dont think Discovery Klingons are acting out of character from what we've seen or what we know.

The "honor" thing in TNG was a bit over-stated since we saw Klingons act dishonorably many times.   Worf was raised by humans and came from a disgraced Klingon house.  So he idealized Klingon culture and essentially represented the best of what Klingons claimed to be.

True but the Klingons we saw on TNG sure  knew how to have a good time. They were engaging & sociable with an edge. I would argue that the Klingons we knew on TNG were only different because TNG is approximately 80 years in the future from TOS. In Kirk's time, there was no peace treaty between the Federation & The Klingon Empire. In Kirk's time, having a Klingon serving on the Enterprise would have been unheard of. Humans really didn't know what the Klingons were about & the Klingons saw humans & the Federation as being weak. However, they found out how resilient humans were & begrudgingly began to respect them. So, we saw a different kind of Klingon in the TOS series &  movies than we saw on TNG series & movies. But the Klingons we see on Discovery maybe some fans like them. I sure don't. Other than the Klingons I'm pleasantly surprised. This series may have a chance. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

CBS hasnt released definitive numbers for All Access but some numbers out there seem to indicate 500,000 subscriptions were added around Discovery, taking All Access from about 1.5 million subs to 2 million subs.  CBS wants 4 million by 2020.  They have said more seasons of Discovery are "likely".  I tend to think they know 100% that they are renewing it but waiting for a particular time to announce.

Discovery just wrapped production for the entirety of season 1.

13 minutes ago, basslicker said:

Forget the new show, bleh.   I'm re-watching the originals on Netflix.

They really need to give DS9 the HD treatment.  I recently re-watched the TNG pilot and the DS9 pilot and DS9 was lightyears ahead of TNG in terms of quality - acting, writing, depth of characters, everything.

31 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

They really need to give DS9 the HD treatment.  I recently re-watched the TNG pilot and the DS9 pilot and DS9 was lightyears ahead of TNG in terms of quality - acting, writing, depth of characters, everything.

Not sure if that will happen. Was not the HD sales of TNG disappointing?

14 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Not sure if that will happen. Was not the HD sales of TNG disappointing?

Yes.  TOS HD treatment was successful and prompted them to do TNG.  TNG was a lot of work.  They used the original negatives, scanned them into an HD workflow and then used timestamps and episode notes to stitch them back together.  SFX done on video, like phasers, planets etc were re-created.  Fortunately, most of the ships were done with models and had tremendous detailing.

CBS did great work on it., a really really great job.  But some feel the blu rays were priced too high and came at a time when streaming began taking off so CBS sort of bet on Blu Ray sales that didn't materialize.

To do DS9 and Voyager is supposedly going to cost $40 million because they used more CGI than TNG.  But that CGI was rendered to the standards of the day thus needs to be recreated.  And I guess assembling from scratch from tons of negatives is a painstaking process. 

My feeling is, they eventually HAVE to do it because Star Trek makes lots of money for CBS because they are heavily syndicated and streamed.  But who's going to watch DS9 in SD on a big tv?  So CBS will get less and less fees for those unless they upgrade them.  Maybe they can budget them into the over-all budget for All Access.  Once they launch All Access in 4K (presumably they will), its sort of muting the celebration when two of your series are in SD. 

Or perhaps they can make a deal with Netflix to share the costs in return for a sweetheart deal on streaming them.  It has to be done.

They always said Star Trek always makes money.  Sometimes it takes longer than hoped for...but in the end, every series and film makes profit because they are watched forever.

EDIT: The people who made DS9, like Ira Behr, are making a documentary about DS9.  They crowdfunded it and it was so successful they have enough money to do some limited clips in HD to show off what it can do.  Hopefully the success of the documentary will revive interest in a full conversion.

Here's a test video of DS9 in HD (taking into account Youtube compresses it, it still looks awesome):

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I thought the FX in DS9/VOY is fine for the most part.

They're rendered in SD.  So they can be "blown up" to HD quality but would look fuzzy.  They have to be completely re-done.  And unlike TNG, they used CGI more often, even for ships, rather than models.  DS9 especially, had many ship battle scenes that would all have to be re-done.  Knowing CBS, they wont do it unless they can do it at a really high level of quality.  So they'd re-create from scratch.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Let's vote: Best Star Trek series? I'll start: DS9. 

Worst Star Trek series? Voyager

Tough one . It's pretty close tie for DS9/VOY. Although DS9 had great ending and VOY bad. I just can't watch TNG anymore.

Or ENT first 2

ENT last 2

Not all of season 2, it got pretty good at the end.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

I always enjoyed Enterprise.  Archer was a Captain writing the book as it went in real time. Janeway was a Captain who constantly made mistakes putting her crew thru a lot of grim & hard times. She seemed like a Me First officer. It's a wonder they didn't mutiny & leave her on some deserted Class M planet.