The Star Trek Thread!

9 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Did he ever find out the story behind the "old" Klingon ship?

One of my disappointments is we didnt get much "lore" at all.  There was really no mystery to anything at least nothing rooted in Trek mythology.

So the ship was really just an outcast group of Klingons that had been preserving their dead for centuries.

Just now, iHeart said:

http://tvline.com/2017/09/25/star-trek-discovery-ratings-season-1-premiere-cbs/

oh those poor people in the US they have to sign up for the special CBS app, meanwhile, us in Canada get to watch is on Basic Cable....kind of feels nice to not feel screwed for once, even though I don't plan on watching it

Is SPACE basic cable?

On 9/25/2017 at 9:45 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

If you havent watched yet and dont want to be spoiled, dont read my review:

I liked it.  It was not perfect.  It was flawed in many ways.  But it was definitely a balls-to-the-wall effort.  TONS of money clearly spent.  Any argument about Orville vs Discovery are totally moot.  Discovery is Star Trek.  And its a film on TV.  VERY cinematic.  Looked beautiful.

The core of the story is interesting and they were careful to make it fit into canon and even had some references to Enterprise (in-directly).  I thought the pseudo religious cult Klingon stuff was weak and cutting back on that would have allowed more room to get to know the human characters we're supposed to care about.

It really a prologue to the "real" story that begins next week.  They spent two hours setting the table.

SPOILER WARNING!

Yes, it was very cinematic looking.  I enjoyed the show.  I didn't like that they not only revamped the look of the Klingon's, but also their culture.  They're not supposed to care about the body after it's dead, yet they put it in a coffin and attached it to the hull.  I had no issue with their new ship design.  They just didn't feel Klingon.  Not only that, but they were so bulked up with costume, they couldn't move very well.  And it was ridiculous how easy it was for Number One to kill one.  I get it was a lucky shot, but still.  But yeah, the Klingon's were really weak.  They should have made them a bit more similar in culture and look to the old DS9 version, where they had character, spirit and honor.  I wouldn't have minded if they had just changed them a little, but this just went too far IMO.

If they destroy the Shenzhou, which is what I guess its what's going to happen, I'll be sad.  I actually like this group and Michelle Yeoh as the Captain.  I wish she was the Captain of the Discovery and they had done this a different way because she is excellent as a starship captain.

1 hour ago, Logan007 said:

SPOILER WARNING!

Yes, it was very cinematic looking.  I enjoyed the show.  I didn't like that they not only revamped the look of the Klingon's, but also their culture.  They're not supposed to care about the body after it's dead, yet they put it in a coffin and attached it to the hull.  I had no issue with their new ship design.  They just didn't feel Klingon.  Not only that, but they were so bulked up with costume, they couldn't move very well.  And it was ridiculous how easy it was for Number One to kill one.  I get it was a lucky shot, but still.  But yeah, the Klingon's were really weak.  They should have made them a bit more similar in culture and look to the old DS9 version, where they had character, spirit and honor.  I wouldn't have minded if they had just changed them a little, but this just went too far IMO.

If they destroy the Shenzhou, which is what I guess its what's going to happen, I'll be sad.  I actually like this group and Michelle Yeoh as the Captain.  I wish she was the Captain of the Discovery and they had done this a different way because she is excellent as a starship captain.

Didn't Mike use her phaser? What was it doing set to burn?!?

Not surprised they killed off Yeoh. Seems like the in-thing to do, kill off  "special guest star" in the first hour or two.

Regarding Klingon culture, the idea that they dont care about bodies was a TNG thing.  But the impression I get in Discovery is that respect for the dead is more a specific thing relating to this sect.  It also retro-actively canonizes something from The Voyage Home.  When Spock is studying with the computer he mentioned Klingon Mummification Glyphs.  So it all makes sense.

I also felt the Klingons were killed too easily.  I can accept the Torchbearer because Michael used her thrusters.  But I didnt feel it was very exciting.  One thing I felt lacking in both episodes was a sense of desperation.  It was almost too slick all the time.  When Michael is first confronted by the Torchbearer, I'd have had him whip her ass in a fast, brutal way with her *desperately* backing off, flying around, dodging etc.  Make that fight a struggle to the death.

And then when Michael and Philippa fight the Klingons on the ship, again, pretty boring fight scenes.  T'Kumva striking down at Phillipa and she blocks him?  He's WAY stronger than she is.  Needs more desperation.

When Michael decides they have to attack first, again, I didnt see desperation.  I DID re-watch the episodes and liked them more than I did on first viewing (expectations I suppose).  And she was pretty desperate when talking in the ready room.  But even Sarek told her not to do it...so Im not sure why she felt it was so important that she should attack her Captain.  We get the hint that the Klingons killed her parents.  But because that was only hinted at, we cant identify with that in THIS episode.

I think I would have had the Klingons attack and do an extended fight scene with consoles blowing up, fires etc.  More desperation.  Like the first episode of Lost when the plane crashes and its just wave after wave of sensory input.

Trekmovie

Earlier this week we reported on the US ratings for the debut episode of Star Trek: Discovery and today Bell Media released the Canadian ratings for the first two episodes. Episode 1 brought in 1.17 million Canadian viewers on Space with episode 2 gaining with 1.2 million and according Bell Discovery “delivered the most-watched series audience ever on Canadian specialty TV.” The first hour was also shown on CTV and so the total combined viewership was 2.2 million viewers, making it the third most-watched series debut in Canada for the year.  Discovery’s debut on Crave TV also set a record for that streaming service.

10 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Her name being Michael instead of Michelle is really throwing me off.  Just a little gripe but it's annoying.  Don't use a boys name just to show the world there is no "boys name or girls name".  It's annoying.

Thats not why they did it.  There was a scene in last night's episode where another character remarked that she didnt know any other women named Michael.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Thats not why they did it.  There was a scene in last night's episode where another character remarked that she didnt know any other women named Michael.

Ah ok.  I thought it was some weird "shock people" kind of thing.

2 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Ah ok.  I thought it was some weird "shock people" kind of thing.

Im not sure if it didnt start that way,  Apparently its a staple of Bryan Fuller to do that, name characters with traditionally opposite-gender names.  Since he's gone and they kept the name we can only assume there is a reason or they simply liked the idea.  I think Fuller does it, not for some political statement about men and women and gender etc but to be unique and a create a bit of uncomfortableness right away.

A lot of Trek "fans" complained about, especially the jerks who likened it to overly PC, gay-pandering etc.  So it was funny to see a scene where another character actually says the same thing.

21 hours ago, Logan007 said:

Her name being Michael instead of Michelle is really throwing me off.  Just a little gripe but it's annoying.  Don't use a boys name just to show the world there is no "boys name or girls name".  It's annoying.

Are you to young to have watched Michael Learned in The Waltons? She's a 4 time Emmy winner for Best Actress.