The Star Trek Thread!

After the premiere last night, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.  Of course, its what you'd expect from one of these red carpet events.  But the descriptions are very similar.  Cinematic.  Amazing SFX (some remarked the FX are better than what has been seen in the trailers).  Music.  Make up.  Lots of "Trek Lore", shocking twists and surprises.

29 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

About The Orville, it needs to decide if it's a spoof or not. It's playing the middle ground and, in my opinion, failing. If it doesn't get more engaging, it will die.

Hopeful for ST:D

Wait, that looks wrong. I'm not wanting an STD :)

Think of the fun you'll have in getting it and it will be cheap too I bet!

Well, to make it a drama that would require wholesale changes which I don't think will happen.  I too, don't like this middle ground.   The last character I remember from a comedy series who transitioned from that to a serious role was Lou Grant played by Ed Asner. He was Mary Richards boss on the Mary Tyler Moore Show sitcom. When that series ended he had moved from Minneapolis to Los Angeles & went from New Director at WJM TV to a news editor at a fictitious LA daily newspaper which was a drama. So, it's been done before but highly unlikely it'll happen to The Orville.

They could guy either way, full on spoof or more serious drama.  I dont think they'd have to make too many changes to be a light drama in the vein of a less serious and less pretentious TNG.  Im sure Seth fans are loyal but the comedy is so awkward and lame I cant see the ratings holding up.  Viewership was down a million for the 2nd episode but it was also delayed by 40 minutes or so for Football.  They now switch to Thursdays...

On 9/22/2017 at 4:47 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

The third episode was interesting. It had its moments especially at the end. If you're looking for a comedy it's confusing. If you're looking for drama it's confusing. If you're looking for action it's confusing. But still,  I liked the story.

They could have done so much better.

Spoiler

Have the female at the end resent her parents for not correcting her. Have her come in, be the author but in the end say she would have preferred to be male.

Besides. Rudolph changes his mind? That was simply lame.

37 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

They could have done so much better.

Reveal hidden contents

Have the female at the end resent her parents for not correcting her. Have her come in, be the author but in the end say she would have preferred to be male.

Besides. Rudolph changes his mind? That was simply lame.

It is a sci fi comedy. 

8 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Well?

Titles remind me of Westworld.

We knew it was coming but they changed the Klingons again!

Federation ships sure had lots of room back in the day and hexagons everywhere.

So the arc story of the season is the Fed/Klingon war.

I haven't watched it yet other then the first few minutes.  But the thing that annoys me most about the klingon change is that they all look so generic now.

7 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

I haven't watched it yet other then the first few minutes.  But the thing that annoys me most about the klingon change is that they all look so generic now.

Ill get to my review in a little while.  But most comments I've read (and I share, though they didnt bother me before I saw it) is that on screen is a lot better than the photos and short clips that have been seen.  They are pretty different, unique personalities.  The biggest complaint is that they only speak Klingon (lots of sub titles) and some people felt their dialogue was muffled through the major prosthetic.  I didnt have an issue with this though.

If you havent watched yet and dont want to be spoiled, dont read my review:

I liked it.  It was not perfect.  It was flawed in many ways.  But it was definitely a balls-to-the-wall effort.  TONS of money clearly spent.  Any argument about Orville vs Discovery are totally moot.  Discovery is Star Trek.  And its a film on TV.  VERY cinematic.  Looked beautiful.

The core of the story is interesting and they were careful to make it fit into canon and even had some references to Enterprise (in-directly).  I thought the pseudo religious cult Klingon stuff was weak and cutting back on that would have allowed more room to get to know the human characters we're supposed to care about.

It really a prologue to the "real" story that begins next week.  They spent two hours setting the table.