The Star Trek Thread!

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Time loop. Direct steal from TNG. 

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Can you steal from yourself?  Steal implies a negative.  Clearly a homage.  Fun episode too!

Agreed- really fun episode. I am really digging this Star Trek. 

I thought the looping reminded me more of Dr. Strange.  Regardless- I really enjoyed the episode.

10 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Can you steal from yourself?  Steal implies a negative.  Clearly a homage.  Fun episode too!

Steal in the sense of plot. The Enterprise was caught in a time loop as well on an episode of TNG. Same idea. I mean, I didn't mind the episode but if authors, songwriters, journalists & students can be accused of plagiarism then why can't writers of a tv serie? I didn't say it was a negative  but if people interpret it that way, oh well.  BTW, I like Star Trek: Discovery so everyone cool their jets. I just raised the point that an episode of TNG had a similar plot.

4 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Agreed- really fun episode. I am really digging this Star Trek. 

I thought the looping reminded me more of Dr. Strange.  Regardless- I really enjoyed the episode.

Different writers, different directors, different producers, different actors, different series so it's not stealing from yourself. 

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Steal in the sense of plot. The Enterprise was caught in a time loop as well on an episode of TNG. Same idea. I mean, I didn't mind the episode but if authors, songwriters, journalists & students can be accused of plagiarism then why can't writers of a tv serie? I didn't say it was a negative  but if people interpret it that way, oh well.  BTW, I like Star Trek: Discovery so everyone cool their jets. I just raised the point that an episode of TNG had a similar plot.

It wasnt plagerism because there was no effort to pass someones work off as their own.  And it only had general similarities to the TNG episode Cause & Effect, that being a repeated time loop.  How it was caused, how it was resolved and how everyone acted within it was completely different.  It would be like saying you can only do one time travel episode because its now done and everyone else is stealing.

And since CBS owns everything regardless of writer, director etc, if they did steal it would be from themselves.  I get what you're saying but its sort of a staple of Trek to do "time" episodes (time travel, time loops, time jumps). 

I actually liked how they spent little time on examining the how of the situation and just went into trying to work through it.  And apparently "Time Crystals" are a thing...

8 hours ago, Logan007 said:

Yeah, this last episode almost felt like an actual episode of Star Trek where there was actual human interaction and it wasn't the whole "Federation vs Klingons".

Did not like it. Time loop been done. No scene before opening credits. Another space traveling creature. And what of the Admiral? Nada mention.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

10 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It wasnt plagerism because there was no effort to pass someones work off as their own.  And it only had general similarities to the TNG episode Cause & Effect, that being a repeated time loop.  How it was caused, how it was resolved and how everyone acted within it was completely different.  It would be like saying you can only do one time travel episode because its now done and everyone else is stealing.

And since CBS owns everything regardless of writer, director etc, if they did steal it would be from themselves.  I get what you're saying but its sort of a staple of Trek to do "time" episodes (time travel, time loops, time jumps). 

I actually liked how they spent little time on examining the how of the situation and just went into trying to work through it.  And apparently "Time Crystals" are a thing...

I never quite figured out how the original Enterprise could travel back in time looping around the sun considering they'd be going so fast it would pass them by starting from Earth orbit to the sun in microseconds. Whereas on TOS they had about 10 actual minutes to do it. It's Trek, it doesn't need a logical explanation, I guess.  Since it's time travel just about anything could explain it, I guess. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I never quite figured out how the original Enterprise could travel back in time looping around the sun considering they'd be going so fast it would pass them by starting from Earth orbit to the sun in microseconds. Whereas on TOS they had about 10 actual minutes to do it. It's Trek, it doesn't need a logical explanation, I guess.  Since it's time travel just about anything could explain it, I guess. 

Yeah they take a lot of theoretical science and make it work. Or just make things up. Lol

the slingshot around the sun was based on the idea that warp 10 was an unachievable speed at which you’d be moving faster than time and be stuck in an infinite time loop. To get there they used the gravity of the sun to slingshot the ship to that speed. 

In Trek IV they did it and the key thing was programming breaking thrusters to fire and take them out of the time loop at the right moment.  When they’re in the time travel sequence you can actually hear dialogue from later in the film. 

4 hours ago, tacklewasher said:

It is getting better, in my opinion. I think they figured out they are not Galaxy Quest. Mind you, the statue humping was out of place.

The only thing about that particular episode was Lamarr didn't learn anything about what he did. In the end, he was still the same jerk that he was before it happened. Actor J Lee plays John Lamarr character like he's an asshat. If anything, he should have learned about being grateful & humble which never happened.  I have a feeling if they had used a white crew member in that episode it would have been different.

Edited by SpeedFlex27