Sure, why not. Whatever. WWE Network and Wrestlemania

Goalie

Regarding questions of WWE profitability, here is a few words from Dave Meltzer in this week's Wrestling Observer (which is the best news source if you're a wrestling and MMA fan):

They also released a chart that if they average 1,000,000 subscribers on a daily basis for the year, profits will be between $17 million and $37 million. That would likely not be enough to cover the annual dividend payments of more than $36 million. From 2007 to 2010, profits were $45 million to $53 million. Due to costs associated with the network and the money lost on the movie division profits declined greatly in 2011 and the company barely broke even in 2013 and lost more than $30 million in 2014.

The 1 million subscribers on a daily basis for the year a figure does look like a number they will top this year unless the free months stop working as an incentive to get new people to sign up. Right now I’ve seen Wall Street analysts who are pegging 1.1 million as the figure that will be the average number of paid subscribers on a daily basis in 2015.

However, with the increase in TV rights deals, most likely had they never done the network, they should this year be well above the 2007 to 2010 numbers and not below them. Granted, losses early to build the network are nothing to be alarmed at and it’s when the network reaches the point where it’s no longer growing that you can fairly analyze its success or failure.

However, their estimates are that if they average 1,500,000 subscribers daily, the estimate is $72 million to $92 million in profits, which would be well above what they were doing pre-network. Again, they should be up to near those levels just because of the increases in TV rights fees, so you can’t say even that makes the network itself a success. That said, it would still be part of the package in making the company its most profitable in history. The company’s all-time most profitable period, in 2000 and 2001, saw wrestling division profits at $69 million and $85 million respectively, but since then profits have never topped $54 million.

I like Meltzer but at times, he's really just guessing. I know he's an insider but lots of times the stuff he says is proven wrong. 

Well hes right far more than he's wrong.  He really wears two hates, journalist and analyst (not to mention historian).  He's the best at both.  I think its usually pretty clear when he's guessing.  He also will reveal news that either ends up changing due to circumstance or because he reported on it.  Vince has long been known to change things at the last second.

How does one go about becoming a professional wrestler?

Well from what guys like Chris Jericho and the sorts have said, you find a school, several exist, not sure how many exist in Winnipeg but.. theres Lance Storms School in Calgary i believe, you go there, pay the money and they train you. It's really similar to becoming a lawyer,doctor,architect,whatever really. You go to wrestling school. 

Just off the top of my head some wrestlers/ former wrestlers who have wrestling schools include Lance Storm, and Bubba Ray Dudley. 

You gain some experience, work the indy scene, like PCW's and the sorts, ROH, DragonGate USA, PWG, etc, Japan,Europe.. whatever and if you want to make it to the WWE, you probably would have to go to one of their tryouts they have down in Florida. 

Takes lots of hard work, sacrifice and dedication, Most don't make it really. 

Couple NXT talents like Tyler Breeze and i believe one of the vaudevillains(pretty sweet tag team actually) were trained by Lance Storm. 

I don't see many big muscled up guys now a days, you are stuck in the 80's or 90's even but today? 

Who are the big guys? Ryback? Lesnar? Cena? These guys are just work out fiends really... the other guys they have are all normal sized.. even smaller, heck their champ is seth rollins who probably soaking wet weights 200 pounds, Bryan,Ziggler, Neville, the list goes on and on really of guys who are not jacked at all..

LOL at thinking a talented wrestler in ECW wouldn't have to be juiced, you need to do some research man, the guys might not have been on steroids in ECW but they were on pretty much everything else and it's well known that ECW wrestler had huge massive drug issues, massive, all those guys were high on drugs 99 percent of the time. 

Talented wrestlers in ECW like who? Eddie Guerrero? RIP but huge drug addict, Benoit? RIP or rot in hell really but huge drug addict, Mysterio? Huge drug addict.

Talk about Steroids all you want but the guys in ECW were high on much worse drugs than steroids. That's for damn sure. 90 percent of that ECW roster were drug addicts.. just look at all the drug overdose deaths in ECW's history, it's tons. Way more than what WWE ever had.

WWE gets the blame for all these deaths but the reality is, Guerero,Benoit, whoever else, they started in ECW and then went over to WCW... then finally they went to WWE, but by that time, they were all done really physically and mentally due to their years of drug abuse elsewhere. 

Guerrero tried to clean himself up but because the abuse he did in the past, it was too late. 

ECW was good but don't kid yourself in to thinking 90 percent of their roster wasn't hugely addicted to every drug on the planet. 

Steroids aren't as important now. When WWE offers you a contract you have to be able to pass their drug tests. I've known guys who, when asked if they'd is say not now and they wait X amount of time to do the Medicals.

It all depends on what WWE wants. They used to have a restriction that you had be be 6foot plus and 230 lbs. They believed tjeu could teach anyone to wrestle. That failed. With Hunter running developmental they want guys that can work.

You can train in Winnipeg. Mentallo is a very good trainer locally. We've had many guys from Storm's camp. If you can afford it, go there. If you're not sure what you want to do most locals will gladly take on "interns" who will help with set up, do reffing etc. Learn how things are done.

Most locals just want to take your money. We've tried to focus on developing not just workers but announcers, managers, bookers.

• 4 weeks later...

I grew up on the AWA to an extent.  Short window, but I started watching wrestling when I happened into the room when my brother had AWA Superstars of Wrestling of wrestling on at 6PM on CKND, saturdays.  They were showing a Hulk Hogan angle where he was disqualified and it was presented as such a huge deal that I was hooked.  Became a huge Rick Martel fan when he was World Champion.  WWE swooped in and bought the timeslot and I went along but kept following the AWA in the Apter Mags.

Verne's greatest student might be Ric Flair who said he was ready to quit after a few days but Verne kept him going.

A few years ago, an unscrupulous promoter named Dale Gagner dropped the "r" from his name, pretended to be family and started promoting AWA shows.  He got away with it for awhile due to confusion over the AWA bankruptcy.  He was trying to get me to buy an affiliate membership to his AWA but it was a scam and he tried to screw me (I sniffed it out in time).  For what it's worth, the final AWA World Championship title defense in Winnipeg was on one of my shows (August 2005), but it was Gagner's AWA (unfortunately), though the champion, Steve Corino, was very worthy of the title.  I always intended to bring Steve in to work Larry Z in an AWA Champion vs AWA Champion match but never got around to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Samoa Joe signs a full time WWE contract.  Apparently his try out deal was very brief as he impressed at the recent NXT tapings and perhaps more importantly, his shirt sold out in a matter of hours.  It really is a new world in WWE right now.  Im not really a big Joe fan (booked him here three times and had a serious falling out the last time that nearly came to blows) but he will likely do very well as he's good when motivated.

He's probably the best example of the new era of WWE.  He doesnt have the right look for WWE.  He's too old.  He came from TNA (WWE has a Do Not Call embargo on TNA guys).  And yet, here he is.  Good for him.

Speaking of wrestling, any of you that might have ventured down to Doubles this past weekend (I know at least one of you did), thank you very much and I hope you enjoyed the show.  It was our longest show in years (which isnt always a good thing lol),l lots of talent in town including a very talented female wrestler from Japan.  Sort of historic in I believe she's the first Japanese national to appear on a local show since probably Ultimo Dragon in 2007 or 2008 and definitely the first woman.  Our friendly Canada Custom's helpfully fined her upon entry (in Calgary) for something incredibly minor and then the airline lost her bag.  Welcome to Canada.  She had work in street clothes.  Very talented and Kenny Omega has taken her under his wing to help train.

Anyway, next show is July 11 for what we call Boiling Point.  The 14th annual...first one was held at Canwest Global Park in July 2002 and that show had the Road Warriors and Buff Bagwell.  The show was not that great (haha) and a financial nightmare that resulted in a face to face meeting with Sammy Katz where we threatened to sue each other.  It also resulted in our financial backer walking away (running more like it).  This year's will be better ;-)

There's your wrestling update for today.  :-)

Really been getting into WWE again lately what with Steen, Generico, Pac and Devitt all making waves in NXT. I'm moving in two weeks and when I do, I'll definitely be getting the network on my cable provider. NXT turning into what seems like can't miss television.

Really been getting into WWE again lately what with Steen, Generico, Pac and Devitt all making waves in NXT. I'm moving in two weeks and when I do, I'll definitely be getting the network on my cable provider. NXT turning into what seems like can't miss television.

I was fortunate enough to book both Steen and Generico (twice) here.  Generico is very close to Omega.

I havent been a diehard NXT watcher but I got their most recent Network special and it is just so much better than RAW.  It seems cool and hip.  The production isnt RAW but it seems cooler and fresher.  The announcers arent as polished but its better really.  RAW announcers are among the worst with their fake-ness.

The best thing about NXT is the women.  World's ahead of the "Divas".  Sasha Banks is money.  Charlotte is an incredible athlete and could be a Brock Lesnar type in the women's division.  They must stop calling them Divas though.  I'd bring up the four best NXT women, call them the Four Horsewomen (which they are calling themselves) and have them destroy the Bellas.  Maybe thats the plan with the Bellas seemingly turning heel again (though they switch back and forth without ever really turning).

Kevin owens match with Cena this past weekend was very, very, very good.  He's a keeper.

Yeah NXT is very different than main shows. Its more about the wrestling than the entertainment part of it. Hopefully they keep it different than the Raw and Smackdown.  But I guess when you don't have 2-3 hours of TV time to fill it much easier to get that feel.

Is NXT anything at all like original ECW?

Not remotely.  Unless you're speaking of the really good ECW, that brief time when they had Benoit, Eddie, Malenko etc.  But even then NXT is primarily a development promotion so it doesnt have guys as polished.  Although Kevin Owens (NXT Champion), Sammy Zayn (formerly El Generico), Fin Balor (formerly Prince Devitt), Hideo Itami (formerly Kenta) are all very very good.  I also like Tyler Breeze, Enzo Amore (and his whole act) and the women are off the charts.

Breeze does a male model gimmick.  At the last Network special, the ramp lit up like a catwalk and he had several female models posing and he stopped by each one to take a selfie.  One of the female models was wrestler Sarah Stock from Winnipeg.  She's a veteran and works in Mexico as Dark Angel.  She's a great talent and a sweet person and worked for us here many times.  She guest coaches at NXT occasionally.

NXT uses some veterans such as Rhino.  And they are beginning to do more house shows.  Hunter wants it to be a third touring brand where they'd have their A crew doing house shows and B crew doing smaller shows at their home base of Full Sail University.  Thats why they are more open to guys they'd normally not be, such as Samoa Joe.  Essentially, NXT is WWE's own cool, smarky indy promotion.

I recently got back into WWE after like 15 years of not paying attention and its got me pretty hooked. One complaint is that I would like to see more variety in the so called Class-A. I feel like RAW hosts the same matches every week and then Smackdown is essentially just rematches of RAW. There should almost be continual churn between WWE and NXT just to keep things fresh. How many times can I watch Kane and Big Show get their asses kicked? There needs to be more variety.