Sure, why not. Whatever. WWE Network and Wrestlemania

Goalie

Prediction time.  Im usually pretty bad at this as I tend to over think it or inject "what I would do" too much (but to be fair, what I would do is almost always better than what WWE does *wink wink*)

I was amused to hear Hustler express shock that betting on Wrestlemania is very popular and places actually accept bets.  He would be more shocked to learn that the odds change drastically shortly before the show when the production meeting is held and employees know the results and start placing their own bets with insider information.

Anyway...

Pre Show:

WWE Tag Team Championship: Cesaro & Kidd vs New Day vs The Usos vs Los Matadores

Prediction: Cesaro & Kidd retain.  They are new champs and are a good act.  Wrestling is always more interesting with heels on top and babyfaces chasing.  Cesaro deserves a singles push and a good run as tag champs could lead to that.

Plan B: Usos regain the championship.  They are a fantastic team and very over.  But one of them is injured so this is doubtful.  WWE usually books for the faces moreso than heels so you never know.

Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royale

Prediction: Mizdow.  The crowd will pop big for his turn (finally).  They've teased the break up for a long time and in fact broke them up a couple of weeks ago and then pretended it didnt happen which makes me think they wanted to do it in a bigger spot.

Plan B: Hideo Itami. He won the NXT tournament this week to be entered into the Battle Royale.  If last years winner indicates they want to use this spot for a popular worker to get over (even though the dropped the Cesaro push later) this would be a good way to introduce the former KENTA to the WWE audience, the smallest man winning the biggest trophy.

Plan C: Sheamus wins.

Main Show:

Intercontinental Ladder Match: Wade Barrett© vs Daniel Bryan vs R-Truth vs Luke Harper vs Dolph Ziggler vs Stardust vs Dean Ambrose

Prediction: Daniel Bryan.  The IC title means nothing.  If this match is designed to make it mean something, the Bryan for the win.  WWE might also see it as a way to get the fans to stop rejecting every main even angle that doesnt involve him if they accept that he's a top guy in the mid-card.

Plan B: Hard to say.  I waffle on Ziggler or Ambrose.  Ziggler deserves the push and WWE keeps teasing it.  Ambrose has already had his balls dropped to a degree.  Ill ride the fence on this one and claim I was right either way.

AJ Lee & Paige vs The Bella Twins

Prediction: Bellas.  They are the Diva darlings right now and a solid act even though WWE seems incapable of pushing both of them at the same time with Nicole being the twin de jour.

Randy Orton vs Seth Rollins

Prediction: Orton.  Though i dont really care.  Seth has the MITB briefcase and is in a holding pattern until he can use.  He doesnt need the win.  Orton just returned so he goes over.

The Undertaker vs Bray Wyatt

Prediction: Undertaker.  No reason to beat him again especially if they have him pencilled in for a retirement match in Dallas next year (against Sting perhaps).

United States Championship: John Cena vs Rusev©

Prediction: John Cena.  Rusev is great but the feud is over is he goes over again and neither have anything else to do right now.  A cena wins keeps him away from the top of the card while Reigns is being established.  And Rusev will eventually get the win back which is better in the long run.

The Real Main Event: Sting vs HHH

Prediction: Sting.  No other outcome makes any sense whatsoever other then the fact it's Hunter and he has a habit of cutting people's balls off, especially guys from WCW.  A Sting loss renders his arrival moot.  A Hunter loss/win doesnt change anything for him.  if they are thinking Sting vs Taker in a double Retirement Match in Dallas next year (home State for both guys), Sting must win.

WWE Championship: Roman Reigns vs Brock Lesnar©

Prediction: Roman Reigns.  Because WWE sucks and this is what they want to do, fans be damned.

Plan B: Roman wins when The Rock shows up and helps his cousin, teasing Rock vs Brock for next year in Dallas

Plan C: Roman wins when Paul Heyman turns on Brock

Plan D: Brock wins because he just re-signed for three years and he's the best thing they've got.

Plan E: Roman Wins, Seth cashes in.

Truth be told, I expect Roman to win clean.  But the Rock will likely be there so his involvement seems likely.  Rumor has it Hunter was trying to change Vince's mind and keep the strap on Brock due to fan backlash.  Seems like in recent Hunter vs Vince battles, Vince wins.  We'll see...

I like plan C for the main event. You can still have Brock lose even though he extended with the company. Reigns sucks on the mic so putting Heyman with him would be a solid move. Could play off the fact he was booed at the rumble after winning. Plan E wouldn't surprise me either with Heyman lining up with Rollins in that scenario as well.

Even when Hunter loses he still has to win.  I could see him laying out Sting with the Pedigree then drape his arm over Sting for at least 5 - 10 seconds while the ref is knocked out before Sting eventually wins with the Scorpion deathdrop or scorpion deathlock.  Would be the typical **** move I'd expect from Paul.  He can say he put over Sting clean when in reality he will have lessened the impact of said win.  This has happened far too often in wrestling over the past 15 - 20 years.  Overbooked bs.

Well...I like it more now that i've slept on it than I did at the time.  I have a tendancy to look at it  bit different being a booker myself so I sort look at why they did things and how they did them.

For example:

Sting vs Hunter.  My God was this stupid.  But...if Hunter is bring programmed with Rocky for next year in Cowboys Stadium, then he needed to come out strong.  But knowing that, they should never have a) put him versus Sting B) booked it the way they did.  Rest assured, this was all ego.  It was WWE once again forgetting that they won the war and own WCW, it was them thumbing their nose at Sting for not coming over 14 years ago.  it was booked completely wrong.

When Sting began negotiating with WWE over a year ago, it dragged on because WWE did not see him as a big deal and thought their fans wouldnt know him.  Hard to believe, but true.  They ended up signing him to the video game deal first and played a Sting video package on RAW as part of the game.  Fans went nuts...until the video game logo appeared and then they boo'ed like crazy when they realised it wasnt a "Sting is coming" hype package.  That convinced WWE that he was over.

They didnt trust him to cut a promo which makes no sense since he's a great promo. 

They had Hunter burying him as the last remnants of WCW, a promotion they bought and buried 14 years ago.  Talk about not giving an angle everything you can.  When Sting was finally allowed to speak he immediately said he was not there for WCW because "that would be ridiculous".  He spoke for 20 seconds before Stephanie of all people came out, in high heels so she was as tall as Sting, and verbally decimated him while he stood there and took it.

At WrestleMania, the announcer went on and on about how terrible he was, what a loser he was etc etc.  If the heel buries the face and then wins, it means everything he said was right.  "Sting is a loser and Im going to prove it by beating him"...and then he beats him thus proving Sting was a loser.

They clearly didnt trust Sting to have a match even though he was in great shape and moved around very well.  It was all smoke and mirrors.  The psychology of the runs made no sense.  DX helps Hunter...ok.  nWo helps Sting??  Does WWE not even know the history?  Sting's biggest thing in that era was being the guy that fought the nWo.  In fact, in hyping WrestleMania and the stupid WCW angle, WWE put over that Sting fought the nWo, lost and was here because he wouldnt let it happen again.  Not to mention both groups interferring were well known Hunter buddies.  made zero sense.  HBK delivering the superkick...when you have one face side with a heel against another face and it's not a heel turn, it just cuts down the face being kicked.

The hand shake at the end?  If the booking cut Sting's balls off, the handshake was Hunter taking those balls and putting them gently into a clear glass display case and placing them on his mantle.  It was symbolic of Sting "quitting" and aknowleding that Hunter was better.  He got hit with a friggen sledgehammer, he should be angry not resigned to defeat.

It was insulting to old school fans who remember WCW and Sting.  It almost ruined WrestleMania for me.  Funny that Hunter beats Sting but bumps and sells for a woman (which he should have but still interesting) because he knows the clip would be played all over SportsCenter.  Hunter might have a massive ego but hes a damn genius when it comes to keeping himself over.  Reminded me of when he worked Booker T at Wrestlemania and spent weeks burying him as someone who couldnt win because he was black...and then beat him to prove the point.

That aside...the main event was very very good.  Brock is a monster and should be booked like on.  WWE put themselves in a very bad position by insisting up until the last minute, that Roman needed to go over.  I would have preferred Brock retain and in fact, I said to my buddy beforehand that I'd still have Seth cash in...and lose.  Keep Brock as a monster.  So I was a bit disappointed in the outcome.  But in retrospect, it was a rare example of when WWE executes genius-level booking.  Brock is still the monster, Roman took the beating and gained sympathy & and respect, and Seth took the title giving them a strong character and really good worker on top.

Not sure what they do with brock now.  I would have set up Brock vs Rock for next year's WrestleMania which is infinitely better than Rock vs Hunter.  But if they think they can do a mixed tag with Ronda Rousey, more power to them.  That was one of the very best moments because there is political animosity between WWE and UFC, mostly on WWE's side.  Dana White is cool with WWE but Vince hates UFC.  So I was shocked that Ronda was allowed to do what she did.  I would have had her kill Steph a lot more.  Again, Steph gets over verbally and ends up showing very little ass (giving in to her opponent) in response.  Then again if doing that match, wouldn't Brock make a better partner for Ronda?  Oh well.

Undertaker looked better than he has in a couple of years but the match was boring.  Bray Wyatt had injured himself earlier in the day though he didnt seem overly bothered by it.  It's just the nature of Undertaker now that his matches are going to slow and plodding.  And Bray is over-rated.

Ladder match was okay.  A bit too car crash-y for me but the right outcome.

Cena vs Rusev was the right outcome for now and Cena did a great job of turning the fans to his favour.  I mean really, if you cant get a face reaction against a good heel waving a Russian flag...

Divas were good.  WWE has trained fans to not care so repairing that will take a long time and I dont think WWE has the patience to do it.  WWE fans believe Ronda Rousey will kill you but they run to the pisser when the Diva's champion comes out. 

All in all, a very entertaining WrestleMania and RAW should be even better tonight.

Quick Thoughts here

Pre-Show

Tag Match : Cluster truck but i thought it was a great match that probably should have been on the main show. Really like CESARO and Kidd.

Battle Royal : Big Show winning annoys me because he's old and sucks but was nice to see mizdow finally turn on MIZ

Main Show:

Ladder Match : Love ladder matches, not sure how they do some of those without getting hurt, spot of the match goes to harper and ambrose for the power bomb through the ladder. Bryan winning was obvious but i like him lots and having your most over face as IC champ can't hurt

Rollins vs Orton : figured Orton would win and he did, thought it was a great match with one of the best RKO endings i have ever seen, Rollins truly is the man and that move was 99 percent him. Amazing finish there. Gonna be honest, the announcers really didn't mention the MITB briefcase that much, if at all so i thought, he's going to cash in tonight..

HHH vs Sting: First of all, shocked it was on so early, do agree that the match was overbooked with the involvement of DX and the NWO, thought it was kind of like the final "we won the war" moment, but... it did insult fans intelligence for sure, not the first time they have done that tho, in WCW, Sting was ANTI NWO, he never joined them, they wanted him too, he never did, they had a fake sting, but the real one never did join them but.. i understand HHH winning.

Divas Match: Solid really, really good match and the right team won, can't stand the bellas but they are better in the ring than people give them credit for, aj and paige tho are in a league of their own

Cena vs Rusev: Not a fan of Cena going over but knew he would, Cena should have lost in my opinion but that doesn't happen very often, again having one of your top faces as US champ can't hurt, but really would have liked to see Cena lose, then snap and then go away for a while, come back and be angry with the fans and america and eventually attack and go after Hulk Hogan setting up what in my opinion is pretty much a given for next years mania, Cena vs Hogan. 

Rock/Rousey Steph/HHH moment: Funny stuff, Rock is very entertaining... dragged on but... was pretty good stuff actually

Taker vs Wyatt: Taker looked good actually, was obvious he would win, was a good match, not great but good. Taker vs Sting next year??

and Finally

Brock vs Reigns: Brock is a beast, he owned reigns for the most part, actually completely, had a sick feeling reigns would hit him with the punch and spear and win but.. was very happy to see Rollins cash in the MITB and walk out as champ, it's been a long journey for the former ROH star Tyler Black and the guy has been the WWE MVP for the last year really... He deserved his moment and i was happy to see it, say what you want but Rollins is one of the best performers they have, he's like BRYAN really, guaranteed to have a great match.

All in all, thought it was one of the best wrestlemanias in recent memory from top to finish, no real bad matches at all, even the divas match was good and better than expected. 

Sting actually did join the nWo Wolfpac.  And he was with Hogan, Hall & Nash in the Millionaire's Club.  But the involvement of nWo to save Sting was goofy.  They went out of their way to bury Sting which was the issue to me.  Deserves better.

Word on the street is every legend who can bump is being thought of for a match.  They want to sell 100,000 tickets and even last night it wasnt a sell out so they have their work cut out for them.  Rock vs Hunter wont cut it.  Rock & Ronda vs Hunter & Steph is better.  Brock vs Austin?  Sting vs Taker (double retirement?).

Im still surprised Dana White allowed the Ronda Rousey involvement.  I wonder if WWE had to concede something to them in return...(Punk footage, Brock appearance?)

Not the first time Ronda has appeared on WWE tv or PPV, she's been on before, big fan, think dana lets them do what they want in their spare time, Rowdy Ronda Rousey, the Rowdy is in tribute to Rowdy Roddy Piper and she even asked him if she could use the "rowdy' tagline. She's a big fan, she was at Summerslam for steph vs Brie Bella or whatever it was. 

Sting actually did join the nWo Wolfpac.  And he was with Hogan, Hall & Nash in the Millionaire's Club.  But the involvement of nWo to save Sting was goofy.  They went out of their way to bury Sting which was the issue to me.  Deserves better.

Word on the street is every legend who can bump is being thought of for a match.  They want to sell 100,000 tickets and even last night it wasnt a sell out so they have their work cut out for them.  Rock vs Hunter wont cut it.  Rock & Ronda vs Hunter & Steph is better.  Brock vs Austin?  Sting vs Taker (double retirement?).

Im still surprised Dana White allowed the Ronda Rousey involvement.  I wonder if WWE had to concede something to them in return...(Punk footage, Brock appearance?)

Ronda is the one star they have that can basically do what she wants right now.   They (Zuffa) won't even mess with her entourage for fear of pissing her off so if Ronda wanted to do it, there's no way they would have said no.

Oh I know she has appeared on WWE TV but not in a physical role.

And she is under contract so dont think for a second that UFC doesnt have a say.

UFC has been very careful about any connection with wrestling in the past because they dont want any accusations of rigging.  Having one of their biggest stars doing worked MMA moves probably isnt an ideal situation.  But Dana seems like a pretty cool guy.  Roles reversed, Vince would not be as accomadating.  Then again, Vince things UFC sucks.

Reality seems to be if Dana didn't let Ronda do what she wants, she would probably go right to Vince and say... where do i sign? Cuz she's a big big wrestling fan and you know if she wanted too, and eventually i do see her getting more involved with WWE, Vince would be all over that in a second. And you know what, WWE routinely mentions UFC on tv several times, it's not like Vince hates it, he just doesn't see it as competition. I think Dana and Vince are both businessmen first and foremost and both know good business when they see it, UFC has no issue showing heyman, lesnar, undertaker in the crowd at UFC events, WWe has no issue mentioning UFC and even using some of their workers, heck this goes back to Ken Shamrock, DAN "the beast" Severn stuff, WWE and UFC i bet have a very very quiet business relationship. 

People may think Vince hates UFC but... i get the feeling that vince and dana have a great relationship and they have cross promoted each other several times over the years. Several times, so many to count even. 

UFC isn't competition in Vinces eyes and i kind of agree with him, UFC is a real legit sport, WWe is more entertainment with some "sport" mixed in, They definitely have a relationship of some kind for sure and i don't think theres any doubt about it. 

Vince does not like UFC.  Thats well known.  He considers it barbaric.  He doesnt get it.  He did pitch Dana a match between the two of them a few years ago though.  As with most things with Vince, his mind changes all the time.  He does not consider UFC competition and he's very wrong about that.  UFC is huge competition to WWE in a business sense (Pay Per View dollars) and a creative sense (male demo gravitating to the more "real" and "cool" product).

Shane McMahon tried to buy UFC years ago and Vince didnt see it.  He's repeatedly said how UFC cant control their outcomes so they cant reach their audience in the same way and yet the popularity of both proves that wrong.

If I recall, Steph didnt know who Rousey was the first time they met.  Hunter is more knowledgable but not a big fan.  A lot of the boys are though.  Vince wouldnt let CM Punk be a corner guy for a UFC fighter a couple of years and it caused a lot of heat.  They didnt want to be associated.

They rarely mention UFC and in fact, when Brock came back it took a long time for them to allow "UFC" to be mentioned.  They relented when it became so obvious that talking about Brock's UFC accomplishments.  Even last night, did they mention UFC even one time during Ronda's segment?  Part of Brock's negotiations with WWE were about doing UFC.  Vince would never allow it.  Brock came down to the last six days of his contract because he was playing UFC against WWE.  Vince didnt want a UFC event in MSG featuring Punk AND Brock.

I guarantee Ronda would not quit UFC to go to WWE over something as trivial as Dana not letting her do worked fighting.  She makes more money in UFC than she'd make in WWE with a far tougher schedule.

The irony to this is, UFC turned the corner when they aired The Ultimate Fighter several years ago.  The Network had to get Vince's permission to air it after RAW.  Vince thought it was no big deal and gave the okay.  TUF kept a large number of RAW viewers, which were the desirable male demo and the rest is history.

Remember when WWE had Ken Shamrock and Dan Severyn and how they had Brawl For All etc....    Vince probably doesn't like UFC since they stole the older male audience from him.   

Ronda Rousey would definitely go to the WWE "if" her movie career takes off (which I doubt it will).    Plenty of more money for her to do movies and seminars then for her to fight in the cage.   

Vince does not like UFC.  Thats well known.  He considers it barbaric.  He doesnt get it.  He did pitch Dana a match between the two of them a few years ago though.  As with most things with Vince, his mind changes all the time.  He does not consider UFC competition and he's very wrong about that.  UFC is huge competition to WWE in a business sense (Pay Per View dollars) and a creative sense (male demo gravitating to the more "real" and "cool" product).

Shane McMahon tried to buy UFC years ago and Vince didnt see it.  He's repeatedly said how UFC cant control their outcomes so they cant reach their audience in the same way and yet the popularity of both proves that wrong.

If I recall, Steph didnt know who Rousey was the first time they met.  Hunter is more knowledgable but not a big fan.  A lot of the boys are though.  Vince wouldnt let CM Punk be a corner guy for a UFC fighter a couple of years and it caused a lot of heat.  They didnt want to be associated.

They rarely mention UFC and in fact, when Brock came back it took a long time for them to allow "UFC" to be mentioned.  They relented when it became so obvious that talking about Brock's UFC accomplishments.  Even last night, did they mention UFC even one time during Ronda's segment?  Part of Brock's negotiations with WWE were about doing UFC.  Vince would never allow it.  Brock came down to the last six days of his contract because he was playing UFC against WWE.  Vince didnt want a UFC event in MSG featuring Punk AND Brock.

I guarantee Ronda would not quit UFC to go to WWE over something as trivial as Dana not letting her do worked fighting.  She makes more money in UFC than she'd make in WWE with a far tougher schedule.

The irony to this is, UFC turned the corner when they aired The Ultimate Fighter several years ago.  The Network had to get Vince's permission to air it after RAW.  Vince thought it was no big deal and gave the okay.  TUF kept a large number of RAW viewers, which were the desirable male demo and the rest is history.

When did Shane try to buy the UFC?

When it was on the verge of bankruptcy.  It never got beyond the stage of trying to convince Vince to look at it.  Vince wouldn't.  He got further along with pride but again, Vince had no stomach for it.  Punk told the story recently of him and Vince talking about UFC, back when Punk wanted to corner someone.  He said Vince was disgusted by it and said he heard they were going to let women fight (women were already fighting) and thought it was just a terrible awful thing.  Its probably to be expected since Vince grew up in the business controlling the feud's and outcomes and building the "fights" he wanted and UFC takes away that control.  Plus, Vince has shown he has never really been in touch with trends.  Its why he wouldnt allow Brock to do a UFC fight while under contract to WWE - he doesnt get money and he cant control the outcome.  Vince thinks losing in UFC would hurt your draw in WWE (It doesnt) and even though WWE is a work, he likes guys that are tough.  For example, a few years ago Batista and Booker got into a shoot fight and Booker whooped him.  Vince almost pulled a planned title run from batista for losing a real fight.

He was dragged kicking and screaming into the "attitude" era by Shane and Bischoff forcing his hand.  He dropped the ball to the tune of potentially hundreds of millions of dollars when he bought WCW and to this day still feels he has to crap on it.  He doesnt watch NXT.  He's out of touch.

Using Ronda Rousey will be all Hunter/Steph's influence and the fact the boys all marked out for her when the Four Horsewomen were backstage in the past.

Thanks for the link Bigg Jay.  if I recall that Shane/Dana meeting ended up being the end of discussions.  Im certain I recall Shane being interested earlier too, when UFC was for sale.  It was certainly no coincedence that as soon as Shane quit WWE, he looked into UFC.  The rumour was he would put a significant amount of money in to become a minority owner but I think UFC balked at that idea.  Shane would have helped them grow internationally but they ended up not needed him.  I still think Shane will return to WWE one day.  If Vince was to die in the near future, Steph and Hunter might have to swallow their pride and ask him back because shareholders are not overly comfortable with Hunter as the heir apparent right now.