Your untradeables

When Jeff Oneil said on tradecentre that Bryan Little needed to step up I nearly fell out of my chair.

Most of what Jeff O'Neil says doesn't make much sense....

And yes I'm a Little late to Pardy on this.... but I would absolutely trade anyone on this Jets roster (or prospects like Ehlers, Petan) for the chance at 1st overall... one for one... 

In a one for one swap, there isn't a single player that isn't tradeable for Connor McDavid on the Jets roster. That's not opinion. It's just fact. There are maybe (MAYBE!) ten players in the entire league that wouldn't get traded straight up for McDavid.

Saying you wouldn't trade Blake Wheeler for Connor McDavid is like saying you wouldn't have traded Miroslav Satan for Sidney Crosby way back when. 

Connor McJesus is so highly touted they changed the lottery so that every team that misses the playoffs has a chance to get him, he's so highly thought of the Sabres and Coyotes are having one of the most epic tank battles ever seen to try and get him... he had a better world jr. tournament than Crosby did at the same age.... Something would have to go very very wrong for that kid not to turn into an absolute superstar. 

Everyone talks about Ladd and Buff but the jets best most consistent player since being here Is Bryan little. Lits gets no love for some reason.

Oh there's lots of love from us Jets fans.

For sure. Just wondering why the national media ignores him.

No discussion yet on Gary's article last week about Chevy's impending opportunity/decision on trading Buff this summer?

Heard the Big Show guys talk about it too.  Some interesting points made.

I wish Capgeek was still around so I could pull numbers easily because Im far too lazy to fully investigate the details.  But Lawless' position was basically that Chevy will have a HUGE decision to make.  Buff will want something like $7-$8 million a year for 7 years.  Will the Jets be willing to allot that kind of money to a player of Buff's age for that lone?

Also take into account the amount of money and ice-time the RIGHT side of the D will need.

My opinion, Myers contract is cap-heavy but cash-positive and thus they COULD allocate that kind of money to the right side.  I dont know about making all three guys (Buff, Myers, Trouba) happy with ice-time.  It would be nice if one of them could switch to LEFT side.

Lawless further stated the starting price for Buff would be number one pick, prospect, roster player.  If you're Chevy, what do you do?

I started this season advocating for trading him and then came around to the idea that Buff should be a lifer here.  But the Myers trade maybe changes something.  And knowing the future of this team is the "young core" not the "current" core, getting a great return on trading Buff....I dont know, I'd listen to offers maybe.

No discussion yet on Gary's article last week about Chevy's impending opportunity/decision on trading Buff this summer?

Heard the Big Show guys talk about it too.  Some interesting points made.

I wish Capgeek was still around so I could pull numbers easily because Im far too lazy to fully investigate the details.  But Lawless' position was basically that Chevy will have a HUGE decision to make.  Buff will want something like $7-$8 million a year for 7 years.  Will the Jets be willing to allot that kind of money to a player of Buff's age for that lone?

Also take into account the amount of money and ice-time the RIGHT side of the D will need.

My opinion, Myers contract is cap-heavy but cash-positive and thus they COULD allocate that kind of money to the right side.  I dont know about making all three guys (Buff, Myers, Trouba) happy with ice-time.  It would be nice if one of them could switch to LEFT side.

Lawless further stated the starting price for Buff would be number one pick, prospect, roster player.  If you're Chevy, what do you do?

I started this season advocating for trading him and then came around to the idea that Buff should be a lifer here.  But the Myers trade maybe changes something.  And knowing the future of this team is the "young core" not the "current" core, getting a great return on trading Buff....I dont know, I'd listen to offers maybe.

www.nhlnumbers.com is a good substitute for capgeek for now.  The presentation isn't as nice, but the numbers are there.

Apparently they had an agreement where they got a lot of their data from capgeek, so who knows how valid that website will be after this summer when new contracts are signed.  Be interesting to see if they can continue to get the info.

As to trading Buff...   I'm glad Chevy gets the big bucks to make those decisions.  

There is a lot of information that we don't have that will feed into it.  What the Jets budget on salary actually is for one.  I’ve also heard that True North has said that when the time is right, they would kick in more money to compete / build a winner.  Is that time now?  Would they up their internal cap for Buff?  How much does the Canadian dollar affect this decision?

What salary will Ladd demand, and which of the two would you rather pick (this is more of a value per dollar decision I would think), assuming you wouldn’t be able to afford both.    If you do trade Buff, does that make re-signing Ladd less likely because he wants to go to a team that is ready to compete.

What are the projections for re-signing Scheifele / Trouba / Hutchinson and other RFAs that are coming due in the next year or two?

How does Morrissey play into the defensive picture?  Do he and the addition of Myers make Buff more expendable then other years.

Even if you decide that you can’t or won’t re-sign Buff, is keeping him around for one more year to push into and deeper into the playoffs for the experience of all your other players worth more to the team then prospects and draft picks who are at least 3 years out for impacting your team.  Does making the playoffs or not making the playoffs this year affect this decision?

It really is a very fluid situation with compelling arguments on both sides of the fence.  At this point, I’m not even sure which side I fall on.

I think you trade or sign him this summer.  The last thing you want is to be in the same position now, next deadline and have Buff hanging over your head.  Frolik is one thing.  Buff is something altogether different.

I have wondered if the Jets as a playoff team increases the internal budget at all.  The playoffs mean several million dollars more into True North's pocket so would they look at the team and say "okay, all things being equal we can project making the playoffs more years than not, so we have an extra $5 million/year to spend"

And as you said, there are variables.  Trading Buff might not bother the young core but what does it say to Andrew Ladd?  At what point do you say we are turning the page from Ladd and Buff to Trouba and Scheif?

Don't forget that Little and Wheeler are still signed for a few years and i'd imagine will finish their careers here in the end so really... what you are doing is shifting the leadership from ladd and buff to little and wheeler. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Honestly, in my opinion, Wheeler has shown more leadership this year than ladd has, no dumb penalties for wheeler, seems to want to win more than ladd, wants to make a difference. Can be a difference, Ladd, i like him but... eventually you need to try new leadership, I mean, let's not kid ourselves here, if this team makes the playoffs, it will be the first time in ladds captaincy era that they have.  Maybe it's time to try some new leadership and i think with guys like Wheeler,Little,Scheif,Trouba,Lowry,Myers, if we could stafford signed, that's not a terrible group either. 

I know everyone is quick to say trade a player who isn’t going to re-sign here, because we need the assets and all of that, and that is what we have kind of been trained to think with the draft and develop message that has been sent by the organization since getting here.

But I am curious; at what point do we consider ourselves a contender?  When do we become a buyer?  If another team trades a 1st rounder, a prospect, and a roster player for Buff, that means that the other team thinks Buff is worth it to them for that one year. 

I’m not at all suggesting that the Jets are in that position today.  We are still a bubble playoff team, and not a team that needs that one piece to put them over the top to contend for the cup.  But will the perception and expectation ever be that we are there?  Or because of the market we are in, and a budget team, will we always place a premium and draft picks and prospects?

I know everyone is quick to say trade a player who isn’t going to re-sign here, because we need the assets and all of that, and that is what we have kind of been trained to think with the draft and develop message that has been sent by the organization since getting here.

But I am curious; at what point do we consider ourselves a contender?  When do we become a buyer?  If another team trades a 1st rounder, a prospect, and a roster player for Buff, that means that the other team thinks Buff is worth it to them for that one year. 

I’m not at all suggesting that the Jets are in that position today.  We are still a bubble playoff team, and not a team that needs that one piece to put them over the top to contend for the cup.  But will the perception and expectation ever be that we are there?  Or because of the market we are in, and a budget team, will we always place a premium and draft picks and prospects?

I agree but I think we're buyers this year to a degree.  Not in getting a rental like Buff to put us over the top.  I think True North wants to create a team where we are in the playoffs every year and some years we will be top 8 contenders and some years bottom 8. 

To me, if they announced on July 1st that Buff signed a 7 year deal, I'd be thrilled.  I wouldnt even really care about the money to be honest.  But if they announced they traded him for a very good haul, I'd be okay with that too.  Because we are a young team.  Let's be honest, if the Jets win the cup, will the first two guys to hoist it be Ladd and Buff or Trouba and Scheif?

If someone offered us a top 5 pick in this years draft plus roster player plus prospect, i'd take it and RUN RUN RUN.

You want to look at some teams who might be willing to do that? Columbus comes to mind. They don't exactly need Buff tho. 

Edmonton? Damn rights they need a guy like Buff. 

Toronto? Yup but doubt Toronto is a place Buff would go too

Carolina? Theres a nice fit actually, they need D help so bad.

If those teams offered up their pick prospect and roster player, you do it in a second cuz we are a young team, a draft and develop team, I agree there TUP, it's more likely if the Jets win the cup that it's Scheif handing it off to Trouba instead of Ladd handing it to Buff. 

And honestly, i think the Jets are building a team who will not only make the playoffs every year but... be contenders too. You look at teams like Chicago for example, yeah they got Toews and Kane but... outside of that, they have an older aging group with not many prospects in the cupboards, not many top end guys at least. Nashville? Who knows really, one year they good, the next not so much... St Louis is a team who has done it right it seems, I think if we were to model the Jets after a team, St Louis would be the team, Roster full of their own younger players but when they started to win, they added some veteran presence, but lots of that roster is st louis blues drafted prospects.