Your untradeables

I'm not commenting on any one player but I'm totally against those long term 7-8 yr. deals that pay the big bucks. Too many teams are left holding the bag on ill-thought out long term contracts. Pay them big money, but for a shorter term.

No discussion yet on Gary's article last week about Chevy's impending opportunity/decision on trading Buff this summer?

Heard the Big Show guys talk about it too.  Some interesting points made.

I wish Capgeek was still around so I could pull numbers easily because Im far too lazy to fully investigate the details.  But Lawless' position was basically that Chevy will have a HUGE decision to make.  Buff will want something like $7-$8 million a year for 7 years.  Will the Jets be willing to allot that kind of money to a player of Buff's age for that lone?

Also take into account the amount of money and ice-time the RIGHT side of the D will need.

My opinion, Myers contract is cap-heavy but cash-positive and thus they COULD allocate that kind of money to the right side.  I dont know about making all three guys (Buff, Myers, Trouba) happy with ice-time.  It would be nice if one of them could switch to LEFT side.

Lawless further stated the starting price for Buff would be number one pick, prospect, roster player.  If you're Chevy, what do you do?

I started this season advocating for trading him and then came around to the idea that Buff should be a lifer here.  But the Myers trade maybe changes something.  And knowing the future of this team is the "young core" not the "current" core, getting a great return on trading Buff....I dont know, I'd listen to offers maybe.

Keep Buff long term and continue in what we are trying to build here. He's a core player. He's a dominant utility player that very few teams (SJ, Det) have at their disposal. He's a big reason why we are in the hunt. I'd like to have that for a few more years.

I'd HATE to see Buff go, that said...

He'll be 30 in a few weeks, and without a doubt is in the midst of his most impactful season as a pro...

Has he peaked or a late bloomer?

He'll clearly want a long term deal... I'd be okay with a 5 yr deal...but 6 or 7, no thanks...

Then there's the comparables...looking at what other d-men are making, I don't see him even thinking about <$6M/yr....

Would Chevy/Jets be willing to invest some $40M give 'er take in total to keep him here?

...lots of $$$

...lots of risks

...but after a season like this, for player and team, you'd really consider moving him?

It will be very interesting.  Buffs agent will go to Chevy with comps and demand top dollar.  Chevy will counter that this is our budget.  And Buff will have to decide if he, at his age, wants to get every last cent possible regardless where he plays and chances of winning or does he like it here, being close to home with a young talented team.

I think the pundits were saying $7 million/year cap hit would likely get him.

What about a six year deal that slides.  Something like 9, 9, 8, 6, 5, 4.5.  Pay him top dollar in the years he's still in his prime.  $6.9 million cap hit bit in the last three years, its manageable cash.  $41.5 million total over six years.

The luxury of having 3 very good RHD actually. Myers/Trouba/Buff. Can let Buff go and still have a solid top 4 if Morrissey is ready to go.

Myers/Toby

Trouba/Morrissey

That's a good group going forward and fits in to what the Jets are trying to do

9 million? No thanks, I don't think i'd go anymore than 6.5 a year for 5 years max. 

6.5 6.5 6.5 6.5 6.5 = 32.5 million over 5 years. 

Gotta remember that guys like Schief,Trouba,Lowry etc will need new deals too. 

You can have prospects, but you pay a guy like Buff. You need your veterans.

I'd get rid of Ladd long before I got rid of Buff. Buff is our identity.

Big time agree.. Buff has become the face of our franchise.. Personally believed he is and always was more of a face then Kane was. He is a dominating, talented big man who is a leader from all reports. You have to pay and often out the nose for a player of his calibre. He is a rare breed.. Defensively sound (for the most part) talented offensively, fast and hits like a Mack truck.. If he is healthy, happy and productive... I don't see how you don't do everything in your power to keep him a jet..

The potential for deterioration from Buff is valid. He's going to age quicker than many players.

But he can still bring so much that isn't reliant on his athleticism.

Thats why I'd offer a sliding deal that gets smaller as he ages.  Which is good for the Jets and better for trade options if it came to that.  Front load his deal and give him a bunch of money in the first couple of years.

TSN 1290 conducted a lengthy interview with Maurice and the Big Show guys were talking about a point I also noticed - Maurice was explaining the vision Chevy laid out for him when he was hired last year.  He said Chevy has done everything he said he'd do but he added, had things not worked out (presumably meaning had the team continued to tank), Chevy had planned to trade assets and get a lot younger.  I think that's almost a shocking admission because it's pretty specific in who it's talking about (Buff, Ladd, Little, Enstrom, Wheeler - maybe not all of them but thats the "older core").

Its an insight into the thought process of those guys.  The fact Chevy was willing to dump the older core if the team couldnt win is very interesting.  If you recall following the draft, Chevy admitted they had some deals talked about that required owner-level approval.  Makes you wonder...

I found that part interesting as well.

Got the impression that if the team had not shown the progress it did after Maurice took over last season that a lot of those guys you mention would have indeed been traded last season.

Would have to think Buff and Ladd were up there because their contracts were expiring sooner then the rest, so a decision would have been made on them.

Last thing i'll say is I'm pretty sure Buff and Ladd for that matter can talk contract extensions with Chevy after or on July 1st of this year, So you throw out some term and numbers, not gonna play that game again where i think i know what Chevy would offer but... Let's say he offers them both very reasonable deals, very reasonable, and they both say.. thanks but no thanks? I mean that's possible right, its also possible that they sign those reasonable deals but.. If they don't, what do you do? You obviously try to move them in the summer of this year then so you can get back more than you would if you sold them at the trade deadline.. These guys both have a year left on their deals, the best time to trade them if they decided to not sign an extension this summer is well this summer. That's when i think you'd get the best bang for your buck. I'm not really sure i like the idea of keeping them until next years trade deadline and then trading them cuz they would essentially be rentals, I'm not sure that's where you get the best value for your players.

But honestly from everything i've heard and read, both love it here, both are happy here, buff apparently enjoys it quite lots, it's close to home, it's similar to Minnesota actually when you think about it, not much difference between us and where buff is from, same winters really, same stuff, they have a bigger mall but for some reason, i don't think that's a huge issue for most players and their wives for that matter. The indications are both enjoy it here and would probably sign, but if they say thanks but no thanks this off season to signing an extension, i think you have to move them this summer. 

I think its vitally important to have deals done in the summer.  if they wont budge, you trade them before camp.  Having two locker room leaders, big parts of the team going into UFA at the deadline would be way too much of a distraction.  Look at Frolik.  Multiply that by 1000.  And then you are over a barrel because if you keep them after the deadline you risk losing them for nothing.  If you trade them at the deadline, you get help but you risk gutting your team in mid-season.

They either re-sign this summer or get traded. 

@SportsCentre: JUST IN: @NYIslanders announce signing of D Johnny Boychuk to a seven-year, $42M contract extension. http://t.co/vftdd8dTRi

31 years old. And people wonder what Buff will ask for...

Yikes ...  I hope the Jets don't do these long term contracts that bring a player into his late 30s.

A 7 year contract shouldn't end later then when a player is 35.  After that you can evaluate where they are and if they have declined with age.

This team isn't good enough as it is. Change is part of the game. 3 4 seasons probably now of not being good enough means it's time to move on from the older core and pass it off to the younger guys or you can pretend the team is just struggling cuz of injuries but really it's been 3 almost 4 seasons with no playoffs. Trade buff and Ladd while they still have value