Bombers Sign Veteran DB

Wpg Blue Bombers @Wpg_BlueBombers 1m

Blue Bombers sign veteran defensive back Bo Smith http://tinyurl.com/kuhvf4j

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed veteran defensive back Bo Smith to their practice roster.

Smith (6-0, 185, Weber State, DOB: September 12, 1983 in Owensboro, Kentucky) spent the last five seasons with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats where he appeared in 56 games and recorded 168 tackles, 13 pass knockdowns, one forced fumble, six interceptions and two fumble recoveries.  He signed with the New York Jets in 2010 and recorded three tackles during the preseason before being among the team’s final cuts.  Smith played one season at Weber State where he started all 11 games and recorded 44 tackles, two interceptions, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and four pass knockdowns.  He spent three seasons at Kentucky prior to his time at Weber State, starting 10 of 32 games played.

I don't hate this but on the other hand, it's been so long since we've made a move like this that I don't know what's good and what's bad anymore.

I always thought Bo Smith sucked but at least he has some size and it's not as if our DBs are playing well by any stretch of the imagination.

Bo is a good athlete who can really bring the wood.  But as a boundary HB, in man coverage ... was burned repeatedly in Hamilton (particularly by Edwards).    Despite my trepidations, we do have some guys in the secondary, who need to be pushed.   Thinking that Bo might be an interesting concept at S, if he still has enough speed......Cauchy is doing zippo. Wouldn't hurt to get some fear factor, back there.....

Not the FA agent signing I was hoping for but at this point anything will do.

Stay tuned then,,,

"Bringing in CFL vets at this point in the season wasn't always the Bombers' usual modus operandi, Burke agreed -- but hinted that wasn't for lack of desire. "That was someone else's philosophy," he said, likely a nod to departed GM Joe Mack. Now, Burke said, Bombers brass share a more consistent philosophy on how the team should be built."

View the full article

Not the FA agent signing I was hoping for but at this point anything will do.

Stay tuned then,,,

"Bringing in CFL vets at this point in the season wasn't always the Bombers' usual modus operandi, Burke agreed -- but hinted that wasn't for lack of desire. "That was someone else's philosophy," he said, likely a nod to departed GM Joe Mack. Now, Burke said, Bombers brass share a more consistent philosophy on how the team should be built."

View the full article

Not surprising at all.

As for the signing itself, I'm indifferent right now, but at least it's a CFL vet signing.