Power 97 Flips Formats

Noeller

for those who still think 92 is classic rock... I assume you haven't listened in about 5 years... they changed their slogan to from "Classic Rock" to "World Class Rock"... tricky, I know  ;)

I usually stream radio at work so I listen a bit... I've been listening to "Big FM" this morning just to check it out and so far the playlist is pretty decent... we'll see how it unfolds....

I have 1290 (sports radio) on most of the time when in the car, but I will only listen to the local content.  The morning show on the drive in to work, Hustler & Lawless on the drive home.  Some of their Saturday content isn’t bad either, either a recap of the week’s programming (hear stuff you missed) or the Illegal Curve guys who bring an interesting perspective to their shows.

Yes, they are self-important media types, and can get caught up in some pretty silly things at times, but the content is primarily targeted to the Jets and Bombers.  And that makes it interesting for me.  I find their guests to usually be more informative then the hosts.  Being part of TSN gives them access to a lot of the high profile analysts.  Lawless is also fairly well-connected and can get some big names onto his show. I also like Shane Hnidy, being a former player, he always brings an interesting perspective to what is going on.

For the Bombers, other than Bob Irving doing the play-by-play, I find TSN 1290’s pre and post-game shows better than CJOB (WAY too many commercials on CJOB, but it has been that way for years).    As soon as the coach’s interview is done on CJOB, I switch back to TSN.  Walby, Westwood, and Bauming (I believe), do a pretty good job.

I have no patience for the syndicated shows like Jim Rome, or anything out of Toronto.  

I agree.  I like Rich Ralph too though I know some dont.  I find his humour hilarious.  H&L are great.  Lawless is almost always on-point even when I disagree with him, I usually find I cant help but admit he's right.  And if you want inside info, you can sometimes read between the lines with Lawless as he discusses issues and things that he's not ready to "print" yet.  They are good.  Big Breakfast is great.

Jim Rome, I just dont get.  Such a stereotypical arrogant jock sniffing blowhard.  Doing the macho sports guy gimmick and everytime I hear him on (for the three minutes I listen before flipping to CJOB) he's talking about himself or reading emails about himself.  Does he talk about sports or just himself?

97 played Fat Bottomed Girls at 8:20 this morning.  if their concept is to only play tippy top hits, I like it.

Pfff, you're all losers.  Only old people like me listen to 99.9 Bob FM.

Fixed your post.

But seriously how can so many people listen to sports radio so much? I just don't get it. Listening to a bunch of self important media people pretending to be smarter than they are... At least on message boards when people start pretending to be smart I can argue with them. 

I would go crazy talking NHL hockey everyday, every month of the year... I like hockey but really? I don't know about Winnipeg but this is the reality of sports radio in Calgary. Flames, Flames, Flames, Flames, Flames.

The Bombers get their fair share of air-time on 1290.  I actually learned of the Cory Watson trade while listening to 1290.  Don't get me wrong, there is a ton of Jets talk.  But during Bomber season, the talk is dominated by the Bombers.  There is still Jets talk when significant events happen, such as free agency and the draft, but the Bombers get a lot of play.

As for Jim Rome, I'm a fan.  He is good for American sports talk.  You aren't getting good college sports conversation from the local guys, but Jim Rome touches on that, as well as the NFL, NBA, and MLB.  It is a nice change of pace from the CFL/NHL talk that usually dominates.  Yeah he talks about himself a lot but you have to understand he is a sports icon in the U.S., with millions of followers.  At this point Jim Rome isn't just some radio guy, he's a brand unto himself.  But I understand how he can rub some people the wrong way because he can be pretty obnoxious.

Another great show on 1290 is the Business of Sports, where various agents or executives are interviewed and you get some really good "behind the scenes" stories.  Not sure when it airs.

For anyone who has listened to Rome at least a half a dozen times, read this in his voice, and his intonations, and tell me I’m wrong.

My biggest problem with Rome is that he will say the exact same thing, 10 different ways for 15 minutes straight.  That’s right.  For 15 minutes straight, he will say the exact same thing 10 different ways.  Not 2 times, not 5 times, not even 8 times.  It is 10 times.  He will do it 10 times.  He will take 15 minutes and say the same thing 10 different ways.  It isn’t about making himself look smarter, it isn’t about giving the listener more information on the things they want to hear.  It might just be about the fact that he likes to listen to his own voice.  But whatever the reason, it doesn’t matter.  The fact is that he will ramble of for 15 minutes, he won’t give the listener any new information, he will simply say the same thing in 10 different ways … 

For anyone who has listened to Rome at least a half a dozen times, read this in his voice, and his intonations, and tell me I’m wrong.

My biggest problem with Rome is that he will say the exact same thing, 10 different ways for 15 minutes straight.  That’s right.  For 15 minutes straight, he will say the exact same thing 10 different ways.  Not 2 times, not 5 times, not even 8 times.  It is 10 times.  He will do it 10 times.  He will take 15 minutes and say the same thing 10 different ways.  It isn’t about making himself look smarter, it isn’t about giving the listener more information on the things they want to hear.  It might just be about the fact that he likes to listen to his own voice.  But whatever the reason, it doesn’t matter.  The fact is that he will ramble of for 15 minutes, he won’t give the listener any new information, he will simply say the same thing in 10 different ways … 

lol well done.  Perfect.  That's part of his schtick though.

I will give him credit, he is a very good interviewer.   Does his research and his interviews are typically very well done.  

But it is all that in between stuff that makes me literally yell at the radio until I need to change the station.  Can't stand his call in segments either.  

As far as syndicated shows go, Gino Reda actually runs a good show where he talks about junior hockey prospects.  He will have interviews with guys like Morrissey and Petan, and he'll have Craig Button on talking about prospects.  I think they run it at noon on Sundays when there is no football.

We actually started running that feature out here, awhile back. It's really good. We run Don Cherry's Grape Line, too, which is usually entertaining, if nothing else.

Ive known people that do that 'beating a dead horse' thing that Rome does.  Its because he thinks he's the smartest guy in the world and keep reiterating his point because he's so smart he thinks he's adding to his point everytime he repeats it.

I just find his fake macho inflection and hyper-masculine delivery offensive.  Hes the embodiment of D bag and I cant imagine how he walks through life everyday without being punched in the mouth repeatedly.  I dont know him personally so maybe he's a wonderful guy.  But his voice makes me want to punch him.

Corus has pissed off all the listeners to this one great station and they probably would have been better off going country.. Dave Wheeler and company have taken 92 to the top and they are not going to let go of that especially with them being the morning show now on city tv. I am a huge fan of classic rock but this station will crash and burn fast all the comments from all the old listeners are all negative. 

That is perfect Jim Rome. 

His ability to do that, is actually pretty remarkable. Not saying it's interesting, but difficult, and distinctive. 

I used to dislike him but for reasons unknown to me,  I now think he's funny... as are many of  his weird callers.

By far the funniest american sports talk guy is fox sports radio Ben Maller. (overnight) 

Winnipeg radio… the hockey play by play guy is good, and so are the post game duo. 

as far as 97.5…. hard rock is fringe music now. took a while but they finally managed to beat the grunge horse to death.

But with what's legally available for free on the internet, there's no way radio can compete. radio is a dinosaur medium. It's on the way out. check out "grooveshark" for instance.