Mike Richards on waivers

Jpan85

Total value might be less then the cap hit but he still has some high priced years in there.

14/15 - 7 M  (would have to eat just under half of it)

15/16 - 6 M

16/17 - 5.5 M

17/18 - 4.5M

You only really see savings in the last 2 years and even then, it isn't a lot of savings as compared to the cap hit of 5.75M

You would still be better off getting player who would leave up to the 4.5 - 6M you would be paying him rather then having Richards and the 5.75M cap hit to get you up to the cap.

Maybe.  But there have been examples of stupid contracts being given out by teams who needed to get to the cap floor before.  I think Richards is $3m in real dollars those last two years which isnt unreasonable (especially by the time we get there and where salaries go).  Again, any team is going to want LA to eat some of this.

ofcourse, if a lousy team takes on his contract, how good is Richards going to perform in a situation he's not happy about.

Isnt there a mechanism where a team can waive a player and mutually agree to terminate the contract?  There is so much money left I cant see Mike doing that...but I guess you never know.

All the talk last year was how the Kings were going to buy him and the Jets would have a good shot at him.  Supposedly his gf lives here (A doctor I think).

Yeah, I found more details on his contract after I posted that (miss capgeek).  2018/2019 is 3M.  But there are still 2 years after this season where you are pretty much paying him at par to his cap hit.

If I am team who is at the cap floor, I can’t afford to be playing a player with his production levels that kind of money.

The only way he is moved is if the Kings eat some salary, and you would have to think if teams could have come up with a deal where they do that, a trade would have been made already.

I believe the Kings do eat a portion of his salary (half maybe?) if he is claimed on his way back up.  So maybe they want to send him down, then call him up and see if there are any takers.

Yeah, I found more details on his contract after I posted that (miss capgeek).  2018/2019 is 3M.  But there are still 2 years after this season where you are pretty much paying him at par to his cap hit.

If I am team who is at the cap floor, I can’t afford to be playing a player with his production levels that kind of money.

The only way he is moved is if the Kings eat some salary, and you would have to think if teams could have come up with a deal where they do that, a trade would have been made already.

I believe the Kings do eat a portion of his salary (half maybe?) if he is claimed on his way back up.  So maybe they want to send him down, then call him up and see if there are any takers.

Rumour has it the Kings talked with the Leafs and Jets in recent weeks.  Let's assume the Kings were willing to eat half his deal since that is what they'd eat on reentry waivers...sounds like it still wasnt enough for either team.  I wonder if it gets to the point where the Kings have to eat half the contract AND throw in a good prospect for pick to get a team to take him off their hands?

I suspect the Kings might be trying to bait a team into taking a chance.  Maybe they get someone on the bubble to take a shot at a guy they might think puts them into the playoffs (feeling the playoff money makes up for the over-pay on his deal).  But I think they might just have to make a move or two this summer to free up space and keep Richards.  They can afford the contract, it's the cap space that is a premium.  They're still paying Voynov arent they?  That will come off at some point...

Full disclosure, I golfed with Mike Richards a couple years ago at a charity golf tournament and just think he's a great guy.  LOL.  Probably not a good enough reason to pick him up buuuut........

I would love to have Mike Richards on the Jets.  He's exactly the type of guy today's Jets need for a playoff run.  If he was UFA or even had one or two years left, even at this price, I'd consider it just for what he brings to the table.  Its the term more than the dollars.  Although the Jets have to be cognizant of their spending as they have a lot of money that will be going out in the next 1-2 years and not many players they can get rid of to free space up.

Also, what kind of message does it send to Frolik to be tough in his contract negotiations and go out and bring in Mike Richards? 

Rumour has it the Kings talked with the Leafs and Jets in recent weeks.  Let's assume the Kings were willing to eat half his deal since that is what they'd eat on reentry waivers...sounds like it still wasnt enough for either team.  I wonder if it gets to the point where the Kings have to eat half the contract AND throw in a good prospect for pick to get a team to take him off their hands?

I suspect the Kings might be trying to bait a team into taking a chance.  Maybe they get someone on the bubble to take a shot at a guy they might think puts them into the playoffs (feeling the playoff money makes up for the over-pay on his deal).  But I think they might just have to make a move or two this summer to free up space and keep Richards.  They can afford the contract, it's the cap space that is a premium.  They're still paying Voynov arent they?  That will come off at some point...

I'm pretty sure Voynov's being paid, but it's not counting against the cap.

I think in November the NHL and NHLPA agree to treat Voynov's salary the same as a long term injury.  He is being paid, but it doesn't count against the cap.

Are they calling it the Ray Rice rule or the Adrien Peterson rule?

Joking, joking, obviously they're calling it the Adrien Peterson rule - they just cut Rice without paying him.

Total value might be less then the cap hit but he still has some high priced years in there.

14/15 - 7 M  (would have to eat just under half of it)

15/16 - 6 M

16/17 - 5.5 M

17/18 - 4.5M

18/19 - 3M

You only really see savings in the last 3 years and even then, it isn't a lot of savings as compared to the cap hit of 5.75M

You can make that argument in the last 2 years, but there is this season and 2 more before you get there.

Considering the free agents we have coming in the next two to three years, it's not worth it in my opinion. We can get the bottom six forward we covet for one of our excess defenders at a lot cheaper against the cap.

Pretty sure we have the richest owner by a long shot

Pretty sure that has nothing to do with the question considering the business model the team operates under.

Great point.  This comes up once in awhile when someone I know whines about the "tax breaks" True North gets and they try to frame it around a Toronto billionaire getting Manitoba tax breaks.  Unless Thomson is personally funding True North, which he isnt, it doesnt matter.  Nor does it matter how rich TN is since there is a salary cap and an internal budget to prevent the Jets from losing money.

Its pretty clear to me that the Jets are just the jewel in the crown of what True North and the Chipman/Thomson families are trying to do here.  Breaking even on the Jets will be fine because it means they are making a lot of money in other places, namely real estate but thats a discussion for that other thread... :-)

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

NHL’s Mike Richards Formally Charged with Drug Possession

RCMP have charged a high profile NHL player with drug possession after he tried to enter Canada a couple months ago.

Mike Richards, 30, was attempting to cross at the Emerson, Manitoba port of entry on June 17 when he was intercepted by Canada Border Services Agency officers.

The Kenora native was turned over to RCMP and arrested.

He has since been charged with possession of a controlled substance and will appear in Emerson court on September 10.

Reports say Richards was in possession of the prescription drug oxycodone.

Richards most recently played for the Los Angeles Kings and is the former captain of the Philadelphia Flyers. He’s currently an unrestricted free agent.

***Im curious as to why it took so long to charge.  Was it because Richards was being given time to prove he had a prescription or is it merely the matter of a former charge?  In many cases, people dont realise that when arrested, you're not formally charged until your first appearance in court which is why up here most people are released on a promise to appear and the media will often not release names until that first court date.  A lot of charges get dropped in that first month or so.

As a big fan of Percocet, I can understand why Richards would have some.  The issue is going to be, did he have a prescription?  Did he have a legitimate need for this pain killer?  Is this abuse of the drug?  In my own experience, its difficult to get Percs and if I didnt have any (actually convinced a doctor to give me a pretty good supply for an ear infection of all things) when my knee flares up, I'd gladly "borrow" a few from a friend.  I'd try to be smart enough not to cross an international border though.