Jets @ Stars

IC Khari

Dallas did own us for sure, from the second period on, but.. from Dallas's perspective, their season was on the line really, win and they are 5 back, lose like they did and they are a long way back, 9 points now, that's a lot, Stars have been streaky this year, Jets have been consistent... It's crazy how consistent actually.. 45 games play, 18 points after 15, 36 after 30, 54 after 45... 18 points every 15 games it seems, That's some consistent play and considering they just got Toby,Bogo and Stuart back and Trouba is still out, Jets have been very consistent this season.. Another point to ponder is that in their last 38 or is it 39 games now, the jets have only lost 10 games. 

Jets started the season 1-4. Since then, they are one of the best teams in the league really... 22-10-8 since that little tough stretch to open the year. Amazing really and considering a good portion of that was without their top 2 lets say top 4 even D man and Kane missing time, pretty darn impressive. Jets are for real.

They got owned for sure but...like i said, Dallas was basically playing for their season last night. 

Dallas did own us for sure, from the second period on, but.. from Dallas's perspective, their season was on the line really, win and they are 5 back, lose like they did and they are a long way back, 9 points now, that's a lot, Stars have been streaky this year, Jets have been consistent... It's crazy how consistent actually.. 45 games play, 18 points after 15, 36 after 30, 54 after 45... 18 points every 15 games it seems, That's some consistent play and considering they just got Toby,Bogo and Stuart back and Trouba is still out, Jets have been very consistent this season.. Another point to ponder is that in their last 38 or is it 39 games now, the jets have only lost 10 games. 

Jets started the season 1-4. Since then, they are one of the best teams in the league really... 22-10-8 since that little tough stretch to open the year. Amazing really and considering a good portion of that was without their top 2 lets say top 4 even D man and Kane missing time, pretty darn impressive. Jets are for real.

They got owned for sure but...like i said, Dallas was basically playing for their season last night. 

It's good we created some space between them but there's still lots of hockey to play.

Why did we play pavs. He sucks. Oh maybe not a lot of experts here.

Oh come on now. A lot of people here have suggested he needs more high performance consistency in his play to be considered an NHL elite goaltender. Great game for him, lets hope he continues to help us down the stretch.

If the team plays like Last night, Hutch will be in for a long long night. It's more about the team in front of the goalie than just the goalie himself. Last night was, well, let's just say if you leave your goalie out to dry like that most games, you aren't gonna win. Pavelec stood on his head the entire night, That was the best goaltending performance this season probably by any goalie on any team, Games like that are not gonna happen very often. You just expect your goalie to make the key saves and keep you in it for the most part, not steal the game. 

Jets need to show up tonight, if not, i don't care if it's Hutch, Price, Pavelec, Rinne, you aren't gonna win much if you play like that.

Need to stop making it about the goalies and making it about the team as a whole, last night? sure, Pav won the game but to expect the goalie to do that every night is just unrealistic and for the most part this season, the goalies haven't had to steal the game, they just needed to make some key saves. Last night was the exception, Dallas had damn near 100 shot attempts, That does not happen every night and if it happens tonight, I highly doubt they win.

Jets need to show up as a team tonight, if not, it's a guaranteed loss, regardless of how well Hutch or whoever is in net plays.

Part of the reason, the main part really why Pavelec was so amazing last night was because the team in front of him absolutely sucked the last 2 periods. 

These are the kind of games which keep giving everyone hope on Pavs.. He will play lights out for a few games and then look absolutely dreadful against weak teams in his next few starts.

Well we've still got him for two more years at 3.9 million.  I don't know what you do with that contract, but until it's gone you have to keep him fresh and playing.  I'd rather he plays lights out every now and then rather than mediocre every time.

Every goalie has a few bad games at times, Heck Even guys like Price Rinne and Lundquist suck crap at times. I think it's more about how the team in front of him plays too then it is just about the goalie. Last few games Pavelec has played, the  Team itself hasn't played very well either. Over 40 shots vs Anaheim too, The Arizona game was a gong show. 

I understand Pavelec does steal the odd game, plays spectacular and then goes back to normal Pavelec numbers but lots of goalies do.

Not sure why i'm comparing him to those top level elite goalies anyway, He's not being paid like they are.. Reality is...

Pavelec at 3.9 million, well... He's half as good as the guys i mentioned and is being paid half as much. Pav will never be a top tier goaltender in the league, not many guys are tho.

You look at how much Pav is being paid and compare it to guys who are being paid as much as he is and it's remarkably similar numbers and percentages. 

He's not Rinne, Lundquist,Price but he's pretty good value at 3.9 compared to guys like Mike Smith in Phoenix making way more or Rask this season in Boston making as much as Price,Rinne and Lundquist are. 

Every goalie has a few bad games at times, Heck Even guys like Price Rinne and Lundquist suck crap at times. I think it's more about how the team in front of him plays too then it is just about the goalie. Last few games Pavelec has played, the  Team itself hasn't played very well either. Over 40 shots vs Anaheim too, The Arizona game was a gong show. 

I understand Pavelec does steal the odd game, plays spectacular and then goes back to normal Pavelec numbers but lots of goalies do.

Not sure why i'm comparing him to those top level elite goalies anyway, He's not being paid like they are.. Reality is...

Pavelec at 3.9 million, well... He's half as good as the guys i mentioned and is being paid half as much. Pav will never be a top tier goaltender in the league, not many guys are tho.

You look at how much Pav is being paid and compare it to guys who are being paid as much as he is and it's remarkably similar numbers and percentages. 

He's not Rinne, Lundquist,Price but he's pretty good value at 3.9 compared to guys like Mike Smith in Phoenix making way more or Rask this season in Boston making as much as Price,Rinne and Lundquist are. 

Sure but it's not about the comparison to other goalies.  It's about having a goalie who isn't our best goalie making 7 times more than what our best goalie makes.  It just throws the structure off.  What happens after next year when we want to re-sign Hutch and Pavs is still making 4 mil?

Hutch's sample size is still too small to say, Really he's played 20 career NHL games so far, I like the guy but the fact is, who knows what Hutch will be like in a years time, He's under contract next season for 600,000. What do you do with Pav when/if Hutch is ready to permanently take over? Many things..Buy him out, Bury his contract in St Johns, Trade him.. Believe it or not, you probably could get something back for him, his numbers are better than lots of goalies in the league right now, Minny just traded a 3rd round pick for Devan Friggin Dubnyk.. You could probably get something in return for Pav.. not sure what? But wouldn't shock me if they trade him in the off-season if they feel Hutch actually can be that guy and Hellebyuck is ready to come up and back up. Or you just keep Pav around one more year, Make some tough choices elsewhere, Ladd and Buff are both due for new contracts? do you sign both of them? let them both go? sign one only? You also have guys like Ehlers,Morrissey,Petan,Copp probably coming in on ELC's not getting paid much. Theres ways to balance this out but.. right now as much as i like Hutch and think he does have what it takes to be a good goalie in this league for this team, right now, he still is kind of unproven. 20 games or so in his NHL career so far, Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet with Hutch. Trade Kane? Don't re-sign slater? Lots of options really but it's too early to worry about what to do with PAV in a year or 2 when Hutch needs a new contract cuz who really knows what happens between now and then.