Bellefeuille: Burke decides QB on Saturday

Mike

What else would you call him?  He's a walking injury waiting to happen that they made into the starter.  So instead of grooming someone who's not a walking concussion and giving them the reps (I won't even go into the fact that I think his numbers suck considering he is a vet), they started him off at the beginning of the season and he takes reps away from someone they could have started grooming right away.

Burke wants to win so if  he plays Buck, that's why. You can thank Joe Mack for this mess. He  never brought a qb in.A first rounder whomay never see the field here was too much of a price to pay to get Mike Reilly. For you Reilly haters, the guy is beginning to round into a pretty good qb for the Eskimos on a team with an OC (Samms) & HC (Reed) almost as clueless as Crowton was & Burke is. I put this garbage at the qb position right straight on Mack.

The first round pick never guaranteed they would get Reilly though! Why in gods name do some of you pretend like it was as simple as trade the pick and sign Reilly? The guy was obviously more interested in going to Edmonton than anywhere else to start with. 

Gosh, actually giving the guy some money to make him think of coming here would never have occurred to Mack. Maybe meeting or surpassing what Edmonton would give him... Considering Mack's track  record & his disdain for any other teams free agent starters I'm of the opinion he could have had the guy but just didn't want him. Ah, water under the bridge now. Reilly's gone. And thank God Mack is too.

I think your arguments would be better off if you stuck to the facts when pushing a point. The Reilly example is a poor example.

While Reilly is rounding into form (getting all 1st team reps) he simply had no interest in coming here. 

You can blame the Mack regime (and you certainly do) for keeping Buck and bringing in somebody else, but it wasn't as simple as trading/exchanging picks just to talk to the guy.

What else would you call him?  He's a walking injury waiting to happen that they made into the starter.  So instead of grooming someone who's not a walking concussion and giving them the reps (I won't even go into the fact that I think his numbers suck considering he is a vet), they started him off at the beginning of the season and he takes reps away from someone they could have started grooming right away.

Considering how often he is hurt, he should be a backup QB's wet dream. The backups in Wpg have had every opportunity to take the job away from him and failed, from Jyles to Brink to Elliott and now Goltz and Hall. Lack of reps has not been the problem with Buck here.

The lack of practice reps has been though.

When you consider how Pierce dominates reps throughout the week in preparation for a game .. only to get hurt .. then the backups are being thrown into the fire without adequate preparation .. how can you expect anyone to excel?   As a backup, in that situation, you don't get a chance to develop chemistry with your receiver and you don't get the bulk of the practice reps as packages are implemented for that week - especially when Buck's availability is still in question and he's still sucking down reps in the off chance he can go.    Not exactly a recipe for success.

That's a coaching blunder. Every QB should be getting some reps with the starting unit in practice, even if it's only a 2 minute drill like MB is doing now.

Getting a handful of reps at the end of practice isn't the same thing as getting the starter's reps.  

The starter is going to dominate reps in practice.  He needs them to prepare and to get a grasp on what is being done offensively for that week.   That's the nature of the beast. But Buck, being the band aid that he is, can't be relied upon to finish a game let alone be available from week to week.  So all that prep time goes to waste.  Even if you were to split reps 50 / 50 between Buck and a backup, you're not giving the starter the best chance for success.  They NEED those reps and the problem is amplified if the backup is a young, inexperienced quarterback.

So Mitchell, Collaros, Willey all get starter reps? How can they look so good in their starts without it?

Dickenson, Milanovich and Cortez.

Compared to Crowton.

You figure it out.

And cutting Pierce will somehow solve that problem, okay makes perfect sense now.

The first round pick never guaranteed they would get Reilly though! Why in gods name do some of you pretend like it was as simple as trade the pick and sign Reilly? The guy was obviously more interested in going to Edmonton than anywhere else to start with. 

Oh no.  Here comes Round 43967345 with TBurg in the "We could have had Reilly" never-ending argument.  Hindsight is always 20-20.  Reilly is looking better and better.  How he is still upright is what is really impressing me, given the pounding that guy has taken this year.  Tate, Buck, Nichols all would have been in the hospital right now if they had endured that kind of punishment.  I nor anyone else on this board are really privy to what really went on in the pre-season with Reilly and the Eskimos, and what Mack tried to do.  If we had cut all of our QB's and given Reilly the number one role going into TC, and tampered and broke the rules by negotiating with him before the free agent deadline, could we have gotten Reilly?  At the stage he was at, with two starts under his belt, was he worth doing it for?  Now I'd say "yes".  At the time, it was a huge gamble.  So of course, "NOW" we can say that the Bombers should have pulled out all of the stops, traded picks, cut people, and offered boatloads of money to get Reilly here.  And even after all of that, he probably most likely wouldn't have come.  But anyone who says that it was a no-brainer decision that should have been done is just flat-out lying. 

I think your arguments would be better off if you stuck to the facts when pushing a point. The Reilly example is a poor example.

While Reilly is rounding into form (getting all 1st team reps) he simply had no interest in coming here. 

You can blame the Mack regime (and you certainly do) for keeping Buck and bringing in somebody else, but it wasn't as simple as trading/exchanging picks just to talk to the guy.

We don't know the whole story & never will. Hmmm... what are the chances of a GM screwing up & making a mistake??? Overvaluing  what he already has vs what he could have had if he was willing to make the move because he refuses to pay $$$ for CFL FA's.. What happened made no sense in how it went down.... I tend to think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Besides, just about everyone seemed to back Joe at the time saying Reilly was unproven & really not that good. Well, those people have their Blue Bomber qbs now. Live with it.  

Burke wants to win so if  he plays Buck, that's why. You can thank Joe Mack for this mess. He  never brought a qb in.A first rounder whomay never see the field here was too much of a price to pay to get Mike Reilly. For you Reilly haters, the guy is beginning to round into a pretty good qb for the Eskimos on a team with an OC (Samms) & HC (Reed) almost as clueless as Crowton was & Burke is. I put this garbage at the qb position right straight on Mack.

Gosh, actually giving the guy some money to make him think of coming here would never have occurred to Mack. Maybe meeting or surpassing what Edmonton would give him... Considering Mack's track  record & his disdain for any other teams free agent starters I'm of the opinion he could have had the guy but just didn't want him. Ah, water under the bridge now. Reilly's gone. And thank God Mack is too.

I'm just going to point out something that seems completely logical to me, but it seems to get missed a lot when discussing the whole Reilly thing.

Reilly was a pending free agent who was known to have two teams interested in him (Winnipeg and Edmonton)

If Reilly had waited to hit free agency, his earning potential would have increased because of the potential for a bidding war.

Wally Buono opted to open trade discussions with both teams that were interested in Reilly, but only allowed Edmonton the luxury of being allowed to talk to Reilly BEFORE a trade was made.

Reilly opted to sign a contract prior to free agency and chose not to capitalize on the ability to earn more money on the open market.

Am I the only person here who sees how ******* obvious it is that Reilly did not want to come to Winnipeg?

Wally knew it. He didn't let Winnipeg talk to Reilly because Reilly would have told them he wasn't interested. Which in turn hampers his ability to use them as a negotiating tool in trade talks with Hervey. He let Edmonton talk to Reilly because getting them to ink a deal prior increases the return he could get from Hervey.

It's not rocket surgery here folks.

We don't know the whole story & never will. Hmmm... what are the chances of a GM screwing up & making a mistake??? Overvaluing  what he already has vs what he could have had if he was willing to make the move because he refuses to pay $$$ for CFL FA's.. What happened made no sense in how it went down.... I tend to think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Besides, just about everyone seemed to back Joe at the time saying Reilly was unproven & really not that good. Well, those people have their Blue Bomber qbs now. Live with it.  

would reilly look any better than what we have here? Would Goltz look as good as Reilly if he had been given the same rope? Would Hall? Too many unknowns right now to say that the bombers should have gifted a first round draft pick for a window to talk to a guy. If he was even remotely considering WInnipeg why wouldn't he just wait until free agency? Some of you are way way too commited to the idea that a) reilly is a saviour at qb and B) that winnipeg actually had much of a chance at him. 

Reilly to EDM was in the books before WPG was even a participant. Argument is a non starter.

Again, we really don't know that to be true. An offer was made by Wally to get Reilly to Joe Mack. Mack refused. So Reilly was traded to Edmonton. If he would have been traded to Winnipeg then he could have done the deal as Reilly wasn't a free agent yet & still under contract to the Bombers. Was it a risk? Yes, surely. A HUGE risk & making that trade would have been ballsy because of it but considering where our first round pick is now, I'd have done it. And made bloody sure I signed him. We absolutely do not know if Reilly preferred Edmonton over Winnipeg. They traded for him & got the deal done. We weren't privy & never will be to the discussions in Mack's office, so all total speculation about that. We don't know what was said. Bottom line, that Reilly was the best opportunity to try & fix the mess at qb we have now. Not doing anything has resulted in a losing team as well as a scorcehed Earth battlefield with Bomber managemnt & coaching.... So, maybe the risk Mack took was really standing pat. In the end, doing the deal or not doing the deal cost people their jobs. The repercussions are still going on. I'd like to believe that it was out of Joe's hands but c'mon.... Looking at how he's done business in the past, I find that hard to believe.

Reilly to EDM was in the books before WPG was even a participant. Argument is a non starter.

Again, we really don't know that to be true. An offer was made by Wally to get Reilly to Joe Mack. Mack refused. So Reilly was traded to Edmonton. If he would have been traded to Winnipeg then he could have done the deal as Reilly wasn't a free agent yet & still under contract to the Bombers. Was it a risk? Yes, surely. A HUGE risk & making that trade would have been ballsy because of it but considering where our first round pick is now, I'd have done it. And made bloody sure I signed him. We absolutely do not know if Reilly preferred Edmonton over Winnipeg. They traded for him & got the deal done. We weren't privy & never will be to the discussions in Mack's office, so all total speculation about that. We don't know what was said. Bottom line, that Reilly was the best opportunity to try & fix the mess at qb we have now. Not doing anything has resulted in a losing team as well as a scorcehed Earth battlefield with Bomber managemnt & coaching.... So, maybe the risk Mack took was really standing pat. In the end, doing the deal or not doing the deal cost people their jobs. The repercussions are still going on. I'd like to believe that it was out of Joe's hands but c'mon.... Looking at how he's done business in the past, I find that hard to believe.

So then please explain why the following two things occurred ...

a ) Wally refused to let Winnipeg talk shop with Reilly prior to a trade, but allowed Edmonton to

b ) Reilly did not opt to wait until free agency before signing a deal in order to maximize his earnings

would reilly look any better than what we have here? Would Goltz look as good as Reilly if he had been given the same rope? Would Hall? Too many unknowns right now to say that the bombers should have gifted a first round draft pick for a window to talk to a guy. If he was even remotely considering WInnipeg why wouldn't he just wait until free agency? Some of you are way way too commited to the idea that a) reilly is a saviour at qb and B) that winnipeg actually had much of a chance at him. 

You have a valid point, I won't disagree. But, look what has happened since Reilly was traded & signed with Edmonton. Goltz & Buck kept, Hall brought in & Elliott & Brink released. We haven't improved the qb position one iota. If anything, it's worse. So, even if Reilly wouldn't sign here, it's still a mess that mack was supposed to fix & didn't. I'm angry that **** **** **** came down to this after mack had been the GM since early 2010.

Because Wpg was never serious about acquiring the guy, otherwise, his agent would have advised against signing before all the offers were listened too. Mack was betting on his horses in the race, just as he has always done before, the track record is there for all to see.

a ) Wally refused to let Winnipeg talk shop with Reilly prior to a trade, but allowed Edmonton to

b ) Reilly did not opt to wait until free agency before signing a deal in order to maximize his earnings

According to what we know it came down to two things... One, the Lions wanted a first rounder from us but a second rounder from Edmonton. And he signed with the Esks virtually minutes after he was obtained in a trade from the Lions. To me, it came down to Mack not believing that fixing the qb mess was worth a first rounder which I find unbelievable. He overvalued Buck & Goltz & undervalued Elliott & Brink which was a mistake. He also did not want to pay or give up a first rounder & therefore take a risk on Reilly. According to the way it supposedly went down, Wally offered Mack Reilly & he said no. His choice. If Reilly signed that quickly in Edmonton, just how much of a problem was money??? To me not much so I think the deal was very doable. Mack made his choice & look what happened as Elliott & Brink were released after.

Because Wpg was never serious about acquiring the guy, otherwise, his agent would have advised against signing before all the offers were listened too. Mack was betting on his horses in the race, just as he has always done before, the track record is there for all to see.

Right, because I guess we just never really wanted Reilly, we just negotiated with BC and then leaked the story that Buono didn't give us a fair shake at negotiating with Reilly in order to save face.

What is that? Conspiracy theory #800 on this board?

According to what we know it came down to two things... One, the Lions wanted a first rounder from us but a second rounder from Edmonton. And he signed with the Esks virtually minutes after he was obtained in a trade from the Lions. To me, it came down to Mack not believing that fixing the qb mess was worth a first rounder which I find unbelievable. He overvalued Buck & Goltz & undervalued Elliott & Brink which was a mistake. He also dod not want to pay & therefore take a risk on Reilly. According to the way it supposedly went down, Wally offered Mack Reilly & he said no. His choice. Look what has happened since.

Are you turning a blind eye to the facts in this story on purpose or are you just doing it to frustrate me?

The single biggest thing about the difference in negotiations between BC/WPG and BC/EDM is that Edmonton had permission to talk to Reilly and we didn't. But you keep ignoring that every single time.

Why?

Right, because I guess we just never really wanted Reilly, we just negotiated with BC and then leaked the story that Buono didn't give us a fair shake at negotiating with Reilly in order to save face.

Sounds about right to me... No conspiracy. Just a dumb ass GM doing what he always did. Overvaluing  his players & undervaluing everyone else's.

According to what we know it came down to two things... One, the Lions wanted a first rounder from us but a second rounder from Edmonton. And he signed with the Esks virtually minutes after he was obtained in a trade from the Lions. To me, it came down to Mack not believing that fixing the qb mess was worth a first rounder which I find unbelievable. He overvalued Buck & Goltz & undervalued Elliott & Brink which was a mistake. He also dod not want to pay & therefore take a risk on Reilly. According to the way it supposedly went down, Wally offered Mack Reilly & he said no. His choice. Look what has happened since.

Are you turning a blind eye to the facts in this story on purpose or are you just doing it to frustrate me?

The single biggest thing about the difference in negotiations between BC/WPG and BC/EDM is that Edmonton had permission to talk to Reilly and we didn't. But you keep ignoring that every single time.

Why?

Mike, c'mon dude. The Lions offered Reilly to Winnipeg. Mack said no. Yes, the conditions were different than Edmonton, I'll grant  you that but Mack didn't want to give up a first rounder.

Sounds about right to me... No conspiracy. Just a dumb ass GM doing what he always did. Overvaluing  his players & undervaluing everyone else's.

Very weak standard line argument...made with your eyes and ears closed.

If we're going to cherry-pick facts about trades that moved quarterbacks to teams other than Winnipeg in an effort to slam Mack, why aren't we ripping him for not holding on to Jyles for one more year and trading him, a first-round pick and Justin Palardy to Edmonton for Ricky Ray? I mean, why hit singles when you can nail the grand slam of revisionist history? A few tweaks here, a forgotten fact there, and Ricky Ray should be lofting corner routes to Greg Carr, who also would still be here putting up all-star numbers if it wasn't for Mack.

Damn you Joe Mack.

Mike, c'mon dude. The Lions offered Reilly to Winnipeg. Mack said no. Yes, the conditions were different than Edmonton, I'll grant  you that but Mack didn't want to give up a first rounder.

and this is why you are failing to understand. The Lions never offered Reilly to WInnipeg, they offered a week or two window to negotiate with Reilly. If Reilly was legitimately interested in WInnipeg as an option why not wait until free agency? It is obvious that Reilly and Edmonton had something worked out before the Lions ever traded him. Wally being Wally tried to grift a high draft pick out of mack AND used Winnipeg to leverage something out of Edmonton. This whole situation isn't a failing on Mack, it's Wally doing what's best for Wally and suckering Hervey into his game. 

I don't recall Mack ever saying we would be aggressively pursuing Reilly, perhaps you can show me that?

By negotiate, what do you mean, what was actually negotiated, what did Mack offer to talk to him or did he, again please show me those 'negotiations'.

If we're going to cherry-pick facts about trades that moved quarterbacks to teams other than Winnipeg in an effort to slam Mack, why aren't we ripping him for not holding on to Jyles for one more year and trading him, a first-round pick and Justin Palardy to Edmonton for Ricky Ray? I mean, why hit singles when you can nail the grand slam of revisionist history? A few tweaks here, a forgotten fact there, and Ricky Ray should be lofting corner routes to Greg Carr, who also would still be here putting up all-star numbers if it wasn't for Mack.

Damn you Joe Mack.

See now that I'd listen to cause at least there may or may not be some truth to it. 

Very weak standard line argument...made with your eyes and ears closed.

Truth hurts. That's why he's gone but a pretty accurate assessment as far as I'm concerned.