Mike Benevides Fired

Atomic

Can say what you will about Rider fans, but they are quite the knowledgeable bunch at times. Sure, there are one or 2 morons but their forum is pretty interesting to read at times.

Have you seen a doctor or hospital for that concussion of yours? Their fanbase is embarrassingly low on iq, football knowledge or even common decency..

Yet Riderfans is probably the best fan forum out there for CFL discussion.

Cfl discussion? Sure.. Just don't discuss rider topics with any hint of dissenting voice or you will be weeding thru BS all day long lol

It's not even January 1st. Bombers do have lots of time to make the right decision, I'd rather they interview every guy they can and then as a group make the right decision, don't care if it's hall, benevides, claybrooks, miles or some guy i haven't heard of.

Sometimes, it seems people become a little too impatient around these parts. The reality is, they do have lots of time to make a decision and you can bet your butt, that they are talking about it everyday and possibly even going through the list as i type this and deciding which guy would be best for the job. 

It's not as simple as making a poll on a fan forum and going which guy do you want.. ok let's get him. There are other factors involved.

Does that guy want to come here? 

There are no conspiracy theories going on here, there are no underhanded backroom dealings, not sure why some people think this.

I personally am not friends with wade miller or kyle walters or mike o'shea but i'll tell you this much, they want to win more than all of us on here combined.

It's not about impatience. It's about the people running the team taking so much time to make any kind of a decision on just about anything. We look indecisive. Or they don't seem to know what they want. Or there's a power struggle. Other organizations can make the correct personnel & coaching decisions a lot faster than us. Everyone is on the same page. Why can't we?

You don't think other teams debate and try to get favourites brought in? Why is it when we do due diligence and try to find the right guy we are "indecisive" or in the midst of a "power struggle"? If we jump the gun then we look foolish for not doing the proper research..

Smh.

Ever thought why we don't get the guy(s) we actually want? What's due dilligence? Are you saying  the Bombers don't seem to know who Mike Benevides, Devonne Claybrooks, Khari Jones, George Cortez & Ritchie Hall already are? What they're like as people? How they'd fit in with the Bombers? I find that hard to believe. Like these guys all haven't run together on the same road in an 8 & then a 9 team league before with MOS & Walters? If this was the 32 team NFL, I could understand. 

I sure know that I want my coaching staff hired based upon whether or not I'd have a beer with them.

I think in the past with head coaches here & elsewhere it's really come down to something as simple as that. 

So why would you essentially suggest that's what we do again?

Didn't say that. There are ways to expedite the process & speed things up. Any organization can take as long or do it as fast as they want. I'm saying speed the process up because the best candidates will be gone soon. 

Can we just call a spade a spade and admit this really just boils down to your trademark impatience? It's the holiday season so news is going to be at a standstill and if the media reports are accurate, we've already met with Claybrooks, Benevides, Hall and possibly Barron Miles. Hell, we were meeting with candidates before we even made the firing official.

It's not as if it's as simple as interviewing the guy to find out if he's interested. This is just an educated guess, but I would imagine O'Shea wants to know what a potential candidate would plan to run scheme-wise, how he assesses our current defensive personnel, how he feels about our ratio flexibility, how he views the free agent pool, how he assessed last year's defense, what his thoughts are as far as assistants go, what his practices would be like, how he likes to handle players, how he is on the whiteboard and the list goes on. Then after they compile all of that information, they have to go back and see if it fits with the current mantra within our staff.

You can't learn all that from bumping into a guy on a road trip.

I love the impatience angle when people here dare to ask questions. You're all the same people who mocked me & others when we said the hiring of Etch was a huge mistake in February & his deserved firing after this past season should never happen. After all, it wasn't Etch's fault you all said. It was the offense's fault that the defense failed. Then the Doug Brown article came out a couple of days ago & we can see why this dumb ass coach never lasts wherever he goes. So, I look at all the Usual Suspects who drink the Blue & Gold kool aid & criticize anyone here who questions what goes on with this team & just chuckle.

Mike to answer your question, I say again... expedite the process. Make it faster. Have the interviews, ask the questions, do the due dilligence but speed the process up. The Riders already offered the DC job to Benevides but he wants to think about it over Xmas & New Years. If... I say if... we truly want Mike as our DC then that's our opportunity to put together a counter offer to get him to come here. If we don't want Benevides then we move on, I guess. Although I don't know why we would want to.

Since the Grey Cup, the Riders have fired both O & D coordinators & will have hired two new ones (if Benevides joins them) & we stil haven't filled the one vacant coaching position on our team??? The Lions fired Benevides & replaced him with Jeff Tedford as the new HC & we took 6 1/2 weeks to fire Etcheverry??? Major coaching changes to two CFL teams & yet you & others say I'm impatient??? You think that those teams haven't done their due dilligence? They moved quickly & got the men they wanted. Meanwhile back in Sleepy Hollow on the U of M campus life continues on as usual.

To me, it will be pretty damning if the Riders hire Benevides away from us & then Hall prefers to stay in Saskatchewan with reduced responsibilities (with a reduced paycheque) rather than come here to be our DC. Then we have to ask why?

Yes. I am saying you're impatient. It's not as if this is an isolated incident.

Well, you're wrong. Or you refuse to listen as per the changes in the CFL already. I( believe that we move too slowly compared to other teams. If you think that's impatience, then so be it. Okay Mike, you tell me how you think things should be done. I already told you mine at least twice. 

Yes. I am saying you're impatient. It's not as if this is an isolated incident.

Well, you're wrong. Or you refuse to listen as per the changes in the CFL already. I( believe that we move too slowly compared to other teams. If you think that's impatience, then so be it. Okay Mike, you tell me how you think things should be done. I already told you mine at least twice. 

I could easily argue that Saskatchewan took far longer than we did to make one of their changes. Heck, they essentially stripped Hall of his duties roughly halfway through the year and still have yet to replace him. See how that works?

I already told you how I assume things are going to be done and that works just fine for me. I'd rather they get it done right than get it done fast. If we can have both, great but I'm not going to cry about it if the process takes longer than I'd hope. 

When did we meet with Claybrooks?

This is the first I've heard of a meeting between the Bombers and Claybrooks.

There was a rumour from one of our media guys (can't remember who) that Claybrooks was in town shortly before Etch was fired.

This is the tweet by Scott Mitchell of the Calgary Sun that said Claybrooks had been to Winnipeg:

According to a source, DeVone Claybrooks was in Winnipeg recently for a "meeting." #CFL #Bombers

Can say what you will about Rider fans, but they are quite the knowledgeable bunch at times. Sure, there are one or 2 morons but their forum is pretty interesting to read at times.

Have you seen a doctor or hospital for that concussion of yours? Their fanbase is embarrassingly low on iq, football knowledge or even common decency..

It most certainly is not. There's some quality posters there but the quality to absurdity ratio is way way too high. Too many homers makes it too much of a pain to read the quality posters. I still say this place has the best ratio. Yes there are unabashed Bomber homers here, but there are more CFL fans here who may favour the Bombers but have a real good appreciation of what is going on around the entire CFL not just their favourite team. 

It most certainly is not. There's some quality posters there but the quality to absurdity ratio is way way too high. Too many homers makes it too much of a pain to read the quality posters. I still say this place has the best ratio. Yes there are unabashed Bomber homers here, but there are more CFL fans here who may favour the Bombers but have a real good appreciation of what is going on around the entire CFL not just their favourite team. 

Why would any fan of any other CFL team want to hang out just to deal with the dumb yokels on that board?? No thanks. 

There was a rumour from one of our media guys (can't remember who) that Claybrooks was in town shortly before Etch was fired.

This is the tweet by Scott Mitchell of the Calgary Sun that said Claybrooks had been to Winnipeg:

Scott Mitchell@SUNMitchell Dec 17

According to a source, DeVone Claybrooks was in Winnipeg recently for a "meeting." #CFL #Bombers

ow ow ow ow....

ow ow ow ow....

Well, in their defense... No everyone reads all the boards posts like we so... plus, attention spans are at an all time low for this.generation..

ow ow ow ow....

Well, in their defense... No everyone reads all the boards posts like we so... plus, attention spans are at an all time low for this.generation..

What were we talking about?

This is the tweet by Scott Mitchell of the Calgary Sun that said Claybrooks had been to Winnipeg:Scott Mitchell@SUNMitchell Dec 17According to a source, DeVone Claybrooks was in Winnipeg recently for a "meeting." #CFL #Bombers
ow ow ow ow....

Plastic bag! Plastic bag! Oh look, a squirrel!!

ow ow ow ow....

apparently Claybrooks was in Winnipeg for a meeting

ow ow ow ow....

apparently Claybrooks was in Winnipeg for a meeting

First time I've heard of this rumor. Intriguing...

I don't believe Claybrook's ready. Not his time. He retired as a player less than 3 years ago. Do any of us want to go from a disaster like Etch to a rookie DC with just 3 seasons as a position coach? I don't. He probably could in Calgary because of the all star coaches & players all around him at every position but his inexperience would be exposed with us. 

I don't believe Claybrook's ready. Not his time. He retired as a player less than 3 years ago. Do any of us want to go from a disaster like Etch to a rookie DC with just 3 seasons as a position coach? I don't. He probably could in Calgary because of the all star coaches & players all around him at every position but his inexperience would be exposed with us. 

I agree.  If we plan on making a run at the Grey Cup, we need an experienced guy.

I really was sold on Benevides until I read the reaction of Rider fans wanting Hall over him.

What am I missing here?

1.  They hate BC.

2.  The Rider defence has actually been pretty good for the last couple years.

Really? I've never seen that much hate for the Lions over there. Sure they don't like them (they don't like any other team than the Riders), but I've seem MUCH more hate for other teams than BC. Probably the most hated team over there is Edmonton.

I really was sold on Benevides until I read the reaction of Rider fans wanting Hall over him.

What am I missing here?

1.  They hate BC.

Really? I've never seen that much hate for the Lions over there. Sure they don't like them (they don't like any other team than the Riders), but I've seem MUCH more hate for other teams than BC. Probably the most hated team over there is Edmonton.

Edmonton? Until last season they were an irrelevant team. The hate is for the Stamps & Winnipeg.

What am I missing here?

1.  They hate BC.

Edmonton? Until last season they were an irrelevant team. The hate is for the Stamps & Winnipeg.

Dates way back to the 1980s when Edmonton had a strong team. Rider fans still hate the Esks for that era. The top rivals probably are Calgary and Winnipeg now, but there is plenty of Edmonton bashing over there still.

What am I missing here?

1.  They hate BC.

Dates way back to the 1980s when Edmonton had a strong team. Rider fans still hate the Esks for that era. The top rivals probably are Calgary and Winnipeg now, but there is plenty of Edmonton bashing over there still.

Duressler, c'mon... most Rider fans like you weren't even born then. And the Riders sucked during that era finishing at or neat near the bottom of the West from 1978 to 82. So why would some twenty or thirty  something Rider fan hate the Eskimos because of Warren Moon or Dave Fennell? Or that they won 5 Grey Cups considering the Riders never played in any Western Final vs the Eskimos back then?? There's no way Rider fans of today hate the Esks because of winning successive GC's 35 years ago.