Jets Acquire Peter Budaj & Patrick Holland

BomberFan

Budaj could be the guy being sent down to the AHL. With that being said though, Hutch didn't look that great in the pre-season so maybe Hutch goes down, doubt he would be claimed on waivers if a guy like Markstrom wasn't. I like this trade actually, get a couple guys and possibly a veteran backup to either 1. Push Pav or 2. Give some leadership to Helle in St Johns.

I wonder though if someone is hurt a bit or banged up. Hutch maybe, i dunno but... hutch on a 2 way deal this year so... who knows.

Teams rarely to never claim goalies on waivers, espeically ones that didn't look so good in the pre-season.

For as bad as maybe some of us wanted Hutch to be the man to push Pav, judging from the pre-season, hutch probably needs a full year in st johns first.

With all that said though, Budaj probably wouldn't get picked up on waivers too so they could send him down also. 

The fact Chevy got anything for Tangradi is a pretty crazy thing but when you really think about it.. It was probably Tangradi for Holland with  Budaj thrown in as a cap dump. Probably means he's headed to St Johns. 

Hard to say, Apparently budaj is a good leader to young goalies, helped out price quite a bit the last couple seasons, he's a pretty good backup, has been the last couple seasons now. 

I guess looking at St Johns you got Helle and That Jussi guy, Don't think Jussi belongs in the AHL, he belongs in the ECHL, gotta think Budaj might be the veteran backup to help out on the Rock. 

Pavelec has looked good this pre-season, amazing what happens when he  doesn't get tons of shots a game. He's a good goalie, he just needs some help out there. Not sure why people always want to blame one guy, Pav has played solid this pre-season, looks to be in the best shape i've seen him in and his rebound control seems to be much improved, His positioning this pre-season has also been much better. Pavelec will have a very good season, just wait and see.  It's pretty obvious that PAV put in a significant amount of work in this off season. 

Budaj ain't here to be the number 1 goalie, i'm not even convinced he's here to be the number 2 goalie. 

Guaranteed that trade was tangradi for holland and budaj was thrown in as a cap dump by Montreal with Winnipeg agreeing to it because they need a veteran backup in st johns to help out helle. 

If they hope Budaj is the answer tI replace pass then it's a terrible move. I would suspect it was a swap of minor league players and since holland has a bit of upside Montreal wanted us to take the salary off their hands

Budaj is well regarded as a great locker room guy and good for young players and with our young goalies he could be seen as a mentor. It's also a little bit of insurance because we have no one behind hutch if pavs gets hurt.

Budaj is a UFA at the end of this season and was going to be sent to the AHL if he wasn't traded, believe he might have even cleared waivers earlier this pre-season. 

He ain't here to be the starting goalie, why do people think this? He's hear because he is good with the young guys, good in the locker room and is a capable player when he gets the chance to play. I'm almost certain he will be sent to St Johns to mentor Helle. Just waiting for the Jets to announce it. 

Budaj is a UFA at the end of this season and was going to be sent to the AHL if he wasn't traded, believe he might have even cleared waivers earlier this pre-season. 

He ain't here to be the starting goalie, why do people think this? He's hear because he is good with the young guys, good in the locker room and is a capable player when he gets the chance to play. I'm almost certain he will be sent to St Johns to mentor Helle. Just waiting for the Jets to announce it. 

He's hear?  

Perhaps the club was not impressed with Hutch and are uncertain if Pav will play like he did last season.    

Yeah, something for nothing.  Montreal does not want to put Tokarski thru waivers.  They likely shopped Budaj around, Jets said we'll give you Tangradi for him.  Probably the best (only) offer they got.  Don't know anything about the other guy we got.

Jets will eventually have to move one of these players thru waivers to St Johns, so chances are they don't make this move if they were 100% confident Hutchinson could give them 20 quality starts this year.  Maybe they give Budaj a chance to play a game up here before they make that decision.

Its really a no-brainer.  They wanted to dump Tangradi's one way contract and Montreal wanted to dump their one-way contract.  Win-win.  Jets were able to pry away another young asset so even better for them.

If Pavs gets hurt it would have meant Hutch and Helly as our goalies.  Thats absurd.  Budaj gives the Jets veteran insurance but still allows Hutch to be the number 2.  Budaj will be helpful to Helly's development also.

Unless ofcourse Budaj is pissed and demands a trade (like he did in Montreal).

I didn't see a lot of Jets pre-season (nothing televised in AB) but I did get to the game in Calgary, and I'll tell you that Hutchinson was the Jets first star, without question. Woulda been 10-2, if not for that guy....

I didn't see a lot of Jets pre-season (nothing televised in AB) but I did get to the game in Calgary, and I'll tell you that Hutchinson was the Jets first star, without question. Woulda been 10-2, if not for that guy....

Yeah  that game hutch played well, he actually played ok in most the games he got in, he  really didn't get much help out there and generally played with what i'd call the american hockey league version of the Jets. 

He's hear?  

Perhaps the club was not impressed with Hutch and are uncertain if Pav will play like he did last season.    

Typing errors happen at times when you don't really read through your whole post and just post it. 

I dunno man, budaj being sent down to St Johns suggests i was pretty darn right. 

They want to give Hutchinson the chance to be the backup, but if he isn't what they hope he is, then they can call Budaj up.   He is plan B.

Low risk sending him down this time of year, and if he was claimed, they really didn't give much up for him.