Odds and Sods - Winnipeg Expansion Team vs Ottawa RedBlacks

do or die

Key game.... Bombers need a good start.....
Nope.... A. Kelly bounces pass like a seal...for a RB 6...
Bombers needed a strong end to the half.....
Nope....Grigsby drops TD pass.
We throw a bomb on 3rd and 5.....turnover
Redblacks shred our D for a TD to end the half....
Redzone execution is not a Bomber specialty
Breaking tackles is not a Grigsby specialty....
Clarence Denmark is a competent player....
....but some question marks around the rest of the receivers...
RB Williams looks like a rising star.....
....helped by the Bombers horrible minor league tacking..,...
Short yard situations + shoddy tackling = killer gains....
T. Sherman had just an atrocious night in space......terrible....
Leggett had a 114 missed FG touchdown.....
...but evened out the scale with multiple missed tackles on D.....
Ottawa simply ate up them unbalanced D formations.....
...which make it sometimes impossible to stop the run....
...or in this case...another 188....
Meanwhile, Bomber OL did their pylon thing again....
January and Greaves really struggling out there.....
Willy really didn't play very well....
...but hard to...when NOTHING is going on around him....
Another 5 sacks and multiple hits on Drew....
Another plethora of penalties......
Kuale managed to snag 3 of them, before injury...
If the bench does not await, then I just don't know...
Under News at 11....Watson gets injured..left game
Our D had it all covered....no pressure, no tackling.....
Tonight....we looked like the expansion team, out there......
Need to start looking at guys at multiple positions.....
Need to take a hard look at our OC and DC, moving forward.....
Need to start benching guys for taking penalties/ poor play...
Need to start up my meds, again.....

I noticed no Good/Bad separation here. Not surprised.

Total brain cramp by MOS on the 3rd and 5. He said in the post game interview he didn't think Lirim could kick a FG into the wind like that. Okay seems like a decent answer only one thing missing - we have a punter, his name his Lirim.

I've seen a lot of games in my lifetime and I would not put the wind in this one in the top 100. Was it that bad he could not punt the ball? Maybe a handfull of games have punters been told to not punt due to wind.

without being there in ottawa, its hard to say how much of a factor the wind was, MOS did say that lirims range in warms up was 40 kicking in to the wind,that would have been over 50. maybe it was a stronger wind then it appeared but not punting or not trying the fg isn't why we lost.

I noticed no Good/Bad separation here. Not surprised.

Total brain cramp by MOS on the 3rd and 5. He said in the post game interview he didn't think Lirim could kick a FG into the wind like that. Okay seems like a decent answer only one thing missing - we have a punter, his name his Lirim.

I've seen a lot of games in my lifetime and I would not put the wind in this one in the top 100. Was it that bad he could not punt the ball? Maybe a handfull of games have punters been told to not punt due to wind.

Stunningly bad decision on O'Shea's part.  On what does he base his faith the Bomber O can gamble on 3rd and 5 and succeed?  Is it they're precision in the redzone or their 2-point conversion success rate of 0-52!

I honestly don't get why people are concentrating on the 3rd and 5 gamble when the rest of the game sucked even more than that decision to go for it. 

Do people honestly feel if we punted or kicked the fg there, we would have won? For gods sake we lost by 22 points. That 3rd and 5 gamble was irrelevant in the big picture. 

Lose by 22 or lose by 15, take your pick, it's the same thing,  a loss, i guess maybe i'd understand the frustration in that if we lost because of it but we certainly didn't. Lost by 22 not by 7. 

without being there in ottawa, its hard to say how much of a factor the wind was, MOS did say that lirims range in warms up was 40 kicking in to the wind,that would have been over 50. maybe it was a stronger wind then it appeared but not punting or not trying the fg isn't why we lost.

Maybe not but It started the snowball rolling.

Maybe not but It started the snowball rolling.

nah man, Ottawa still had to drive the field to score the td and they did, defense couldn't tackle. If you really wanna get technical, what started the snowball rolling was probably McGuffie falling down on the opening kickoff or kelly missing the ball and it going the other way. D on that drive there had a chance to step up and they failed miserably. Missed tackles the entire drive. 

Edit: Wait just a moment, was that the same drive where we had ottawa on third down getting ready to punt and Kuale took a shot on buriss? If so, missed tackles and a boneheaded stupid as hell penalty was the real downfall. Pretty sure that was the drive that was extended by Kuales Stupdity, if not for that boneheaded play on Burriss, ottawa would have been third down and punting. 

I honestly don't get why people are concentrating on the 3rd and 5 gamble when the rest of the game sucked even more than that decision to go for it. 

Do people honestly feel if we punted or kicked the fg there, we would have won? For gods sake we lost by 22 points. That 3rd and 5 gamble was irrelevant in the big picture. 

Lose by 22 or lose by 15, take your pick, it's the same thing,  a loss, i guess maybe i'd understand the frustration in that if we lost because of it but we certainly didn't. Lost by 22 not by 7. 

I disagree, the Bombers didn't get 3 pts. from a FG and Ottawa scrimmaged at the 40 and drove the field for a TD.  That's a 10 pt. swing....right before the half.

I disagree, the Bombers didn't get 3 pts. from a FG and Ottawa scrimmaged at the 40 and drove the field for a TD.  That's a 10 pt. swing....right before the half.

I dont think that FG is as automatic as you are suggesting it might be. O'shea on post game show said Lirims range in warm ups that way was at the 40, the ball was at the 40.. it would have been like a 47 48 yarder in to the wind, if he was only hitting them from the 40 in to the wind, i don't think he makes that one. He likely would have missed it, think the wind was more of a factor than it seemed to be on the TV. 

I don't to into plays like that. If it works out everyone calls him an ironed-balled genius. When it fails he's an idiot.

But it was the wrong calls. HC often looks perplexed out there. But the good news is it's not the players' faults. Clearly they are very talented and making all the right plays. So don't say otherwise.

Tonight....we looked like the expansion team, out there......

watched the redblacks last week. Being beaten by that team, says something about the Bombers doesn't it?

The Bombers were somewhat lucky to win a couple of the first few games, great comebacks by the offence, gave them two or three(?) wins. . 

Willy at this point is probably tired of getting pounded every game. No wonder he's not playing as well.

Some people complained about the O line most of this season, guess they were right.

Seems that the good start was an illusion.

Thanks dod appreciate it.

Not just that play, we were in second and 3 earlier and threw an incomplete bomb too. It's been our MO all year, Marcel likes his low percentage plays.

Not just that play, we were in second and 3 earlier and threw an incomplete bomb too. It's been our MO all year, Marcel likes his low percentage plays.

This play I didn't like. ^ Too early. Not enough offensive momentum built up.

I didn't mind the call on third and five. At the very least it shows forward thinking and the analysis of that situation..and I like the aggressiveness, could have been a positive factor in the game.

Totally unBurke-like.

That gamble was a terrible call - field goal gets us within one, a rouge gets us within field goal

Yeah but thats ignoring the wind and the fact that after the game O'shea said that in warmups lirims range in to the wind was at the 40, we were at the 40 roughly, wouldn't have been a 40 yarder, would have been a 45-48 yarder really, not sure that field goal is made, to be honest, not sure it even makes it to the endzone, I don't like the idea of saying yeah but a fg, well, what if they go for the fg, miss and ottawa runs it back for a td, that's just as likely in that situation. And regardless, the D still needs to make a stop, make some tackles, something they couldn't do last night. That play in the big picture was irrelevant, lose by 22, not 7 or less