Edmonton Radio Ad

rebusrankin

This is a transcript of an actual Edmonton Eskimos radio ad:
Transcription: "You know that guy, the irritating Saskatchewan Roughriders fan. Sorry, that's redundant: the Saskatchewan Roughriders fan. He's loud, obnoxious, and somehow manages to brag about his team winning a dominant four championships in just over a century. That guy. Well, he's going to the Eskimo game this Friday, and you should go too and watch his entire world crumble around him! Support your Eskimos! Tickets to the game are at Ticketmaster, starting at $32.50."

I liked this ad.

My buddy...a radio friend from my Dauphin days... Produced that spot in Edmonton. He didn't write it, but he put it together. He's a rabid, die hard Rider fan from just north of Saskatoon. He loves the damn thing... Super proud of it.

My biggest problem with the damn thing? It says Rider fans are great fans. Bullshit. They're among the biggest bandwagon jumpers of any sports franchise anywhere...

My buddy...a radio friend from my Dauphin days... Produced that spot in Edmonton. He didn't write it, but he put it together. He's a rabid, die hard Rider fan from just north of Saskatoon. He loves the damn thing... Super proud of it.

My biggest problem with the damn thing? It says Rider fans are great fans. Bullshit. They're among the biggest bandwagon jumpers of any sports franchise anywhere...

Merchandising sales, ticket sales, tv numbers etc say they are great fans. Hell, the fact there is still a team in Saskatchewan after how long they sucked is testament to being great fans. Think you guys have had a dry spell? The Riders up to 1966 sucked, from 1976 to 1989 and then from 1992 until around 2003. Some of the worst teams of all times.

Good fans? I'd say.

Merchandising sales, ticket sales, tv numbers etc say they are great fans. Hell, the fact there is still a team in Saskatchewan after how long they sucked is testament to being great fans. Think you guys have had a dry spell? The Riders up to 1966 sucked, from 1976 to 1989 and then from 1992 until around 2003. Some of the worst teams of all times.

Good fans? I'd say.

yeah except most of the so called fans that are around only jumped on board in 2003. The ones who went through those shitty spells I have no problems with them for the most part, it's the ones that decided "oh yeah I've always been a diehard rider fan" in the mid 2000s that I have a very big disdain for. Are you really blind to the fact that the bandwagon swelled to huge numbers of these supposed die hards compared to what used to be there in the lean years? How can you not notice it? 

Good fans? I'd say.

yeah except most of the so called fans that are around only jumped on board in 2003. The ones who went through those shitty spells I have no problems with them for the most part, it's the ones that decided "oh yeah I've always been a diehard rider fan" in the mid 2000s that I have a very big disdain for. Are you really blind to the fact that the bandwagon swelled to huge numbers of these supposed die hards compared to what used to be there in the lean years? How can you not notice it? 

I wasn't seeing much green around in the 90's

Ahhhhh, Dauphin radio days.  Brings me back.

The Riders put  up those damned billboards. Well, if the shoe fits. 

Don't forget this now ;):

FOOTBALL090111-03_14878805.jpg

Which was in response to the Riders putting up billboards in Winnipeg.... 

To me, it's all about who started this all? Wasn't us? Wasn't Calgary, Wasn't Edmonton. Wasn't BC. Wasn't Toronto, Hamilton,Ottawa or Montreal. And yet they don't like it when the tables are turned?

I really liked this one. I thought it was creative. I did think the one calling Rider fans horrible people was in poor taste.

Really? I don't they were actually altogether serious when they said that.

Just a way to get fans (on both sides) to get pumped up. I have no problem with it.

I have zero problem with the ads but if I was an Esks fan I would be embarrassed by their lack of creativity. Isis are horrible human beings, Riders fans are giving the Esks their biggest home crowd of the season, just like they did in Winnipeg, Vancouver & soon to be Calgary. Love this time of year.

Ps, I'm rootin for Winnipeg this weekend, stomp the Ticats momentum.

Good fans? I'd say.

Every franchise in every sport in every country would gain fan support if they started winning & started showing a commitment a good product on & off the field and to an improved fan experience in the stadium. If the Bombers start putting winning teams on the field consistently do you think they will start selling out IGF all the time? Of course they will, just like in Regina. For the record I think they are on the right track.

If the Riders had the teams Winnipeg had the past decade, I wonder what average attendance at Mosaic would be? Especially last year? Maybe 18,000??

Winnipeg has had very good teams this past decade (ie '07 & '11), no question their fan base is among the best. Riders were downright aweful in 2011 and we did see a dip in attendance but it was still strong.

We can't have a thread about the Riders without it turning into a pissing match. There's Rider fans here people there's no need to jump over them in every single thread. We need to deal with that fact maturely without calling names and derailing threads. 

But at the same time, we don't need ten Rider fans jumping into every thread on a Bomber site whenever some negative is said about their team. This is a Bomber site, we don't like the Riders or their fans. Coming in like a pack of wolves and defending your team against every insult possibly hurled your way doesn't fly either. Just my two cents.

If the Riders had the teams Winnipeg had the past decade, I wonder what average attendance at Mosaic would be? Especially last year? Maybe 18,000??

This is really the thing for me.....we've had some of the league's all-time worst teams over the last decade, and the fans STILL sell the place out. The Riders would be lucky to get 20k with those teams. The difference between Bombers fans and Riders fans, is we have more "die hards", but less "casuals". The Riders have  WAY MORE casual fans than any other franchise and maybe even more than some NHL franchises in Canada. They're the ones who buy the merch because it's "cool" to do so right now. They badly need another extended run of Al Ford years to thin out their ranks a little and shut them up but good...