Chris Jones versus Michael O'Shea

BigBlue

I think it's fair to at least acknowledge that he brought in SOME awesome rookies.

But not enough of them. I mean, let's be honest ... Grigsby is going to win the MOR award. Bruce Johnson has been awesome. Mo Leggett is fantastic too.

But we need more. Especially at routine spots like receiver or rush end.

I'd throw Stoudemire in that mix too. He went to camp with the Riders, but he'd never played a CFL game before. That's 4 good rookies. How many are expected for one season?

Stoudemire was scouted and recruited by the Riders but was a shrewd move nonetheless.

Great point. Likely no one had ever heard of him before The Beloved brought him up north.

how are you guys leaving Hajrullahu out amongst our most outstanding rookies?  the kid has been rock solid all season, even when pressed into punting duties.  I've seen that affect kickers place kicking in the past, but it hasn't hurt him a bit....

We're talking about American rookies.

OK... but even still, I'd still put him at the top amongst rookies, regardless of passport...

how are you guys leaving Hajrullahu out amongst our most outstanding rookies?  the kid has been rock solid all season, even when pressed into punting duties.  I've seen that affect kickers place kicking in the past, but it hasn't hurt him a bit....

We're talking about American rookies.

OK... but even still, I'd still put him at the top amongst rookies, regardless of passport...

but again not what we're talking about here. There is a difference between bringing in non imports and imports. We are discussing how the american recruiting seems to have taken a step back. 

Kelly's been about as good as we'd usually expect from some random American rookie that isn't Chris Matthews/Greg Carr/TJ Harris. It would be nice to be able to get a guy like that every off-season. I don't know if that's realistic. Are other teams doing that?

The current Bombers do certainly seem to place a higher importance on veteran players than we've seen in these parts for a while. And seems to me that's what EVERYONE was clamouring for by the end of the Mack era.

Kelly's been about as good as we'd usually expect from some random American rookie that isn't Chris Matthews/Greg Carr/TJ Harris. It would be nice to be able to get a guy like that every off-season. I don't know if that's realistic. Are other teams doing that?

The current Bombers do certainly seem to place a higher importance on veteran players than we've seen in these parts for a while. And seems to me that's what EVERYONE was clamouring for by the end of the Mack era.

You need both. Mack was too reliant on his rookies, Taman was too reliant on veterans here and we never had the depth because we didn't have the young guys coming in. Based on one year Walters needs to pick it up in the young american aspect of things. You can't win long term being one dimensional in how you build you team, you gotta be able to sign the right veterans and replace people internally. 

so then what's the excuse for players like Kelly and Bryant being the best options at receiver? 

Kelly is 12th in receiving. No excuse is needed for keeping him on the roster.

I'd rather a guy who has less yards but is a threat every week than a guy who pops up with a good week here and there. 

Kelly, in the last Saskatchewan game, where Willy threw for Denmark, was wide open twelve yards down the field, and could have had twenty yards, at least.

Sometimes these receivers do get open and the play doesn't get to them.

This is football and this happens all the time.

The unlove for Kelly is irrational.

Kelly earned the job in training camp when he defeated all candidates for that position and there were many.  He continues to produce when thrown to and make spectacular catches and score critical TD's even though he is often covered.  He has done nothing to lose his job and no other player  has done enough to unseat him so far.  We seem to have this discussion every second week with the same result.  Kelly has his lovers and his haters and that's just the way it's been since he set foot in Bomberland.