The Remaining Schedule: One Perspective

TrueBlue

The redeeming quality of Etch is that he finally comes to his sense by the end of the season...  If that happens, we could be a real contender.

Last five weeks of the season will decide a lot.  Sure looks we will end up sitting and watching our fate be decided...

I would call next week a 'must win' - we can't be 'swept' against any team in the west this year.

sure you can, we've already lost the season series against the riders so if you're going to be swept by a team might as well be them. 

I think the unbalanced schedule is giving a lot of people a clouded picture of how teams stack up against each other. What we've seen from the 2 Rider and Bomber games so far is that there's not much to choose between the two just the Bombers came up on the wrong side of the scoreboard both times. Once the Riders play the Alberta teams things are really going to get interesting because I still say people under estimate the Riders based on the fact that they lost 2 games early. 

Calgary is the best team, but Edmonton is right there with them. The first game was very close, and the Esks were without their starting qb for the 2nd game.

The Riders have to sit in 3rd until we see them play one of the top two teams.

Eskimos are massively overrated. Their defence is pretty good but their offence truly stinks.

That sounds like a better description of the Riders, & I don't just say that b/c you're a Riders fan. Relying solely on the run won't work, imo, against the Stamps or Esks. Their passing game has to improve to beat either of those teams.

The Esks offense hasn't been that bad. Not great, but not terrible either.

But getting Dressler back changes that a lot. He's a safety blanket for Durant and makes the rest of the receivers that much more dangerous. 

Calgary is the best team, but Edmonton is right there with them. The first game was very close, and the Esks were without their starting qb for the 2nd game.

Eskimos are massively overrated. Their defence is pretty good but their offence truly stinks.

That sounds like a better description of the Riders, & I don't just say that b/c you're a Riders fan. Relying solely on the run won't work, imo, against the Stamps or Esks. Their passing game has to improve to beat either of those teams.

Passing has been there whenever it has been needed. Compare the Riders passing against the Redblacks to the Eskimos (or Calgary for that matter).

Banjo Bowl is looking like a must win if the Bombers have any hope at the playoffs this season.

I disagree.  The Bombers have a 1 game advantage in the series on BC with 2 games left against them, 1 game vs Edmonton and 2 against Calgary.  Bombers have already lost the series to the Riders but are in the driver's seat against the Lions.  With all those West Division games left a loss to the Riders doesn't sink the Bombers.  Heck, a win at the Banjo Bowl puts the Bombers right back in the thick of things.

BC has a much easier schedule in the second half of the season though, compared to the Bombers.

I don't know.  I don't think anyone has an easy schedule.  Only real difference is 2 games against the East vs 4 games against the East, but 2 of those games for BC are in Ontario and they have a rich history of struggling on the road vs the East.

Edmonton is the team to watch for a fall.  1 left vs Calgary, 3 vs Saskatchewan.  Couple trips into Southern Ontario against teams that will be trying desperately to get their act together to host playoff games.  I could see them going from 7-2 to a 9-9 finish.

The redeeming quality of Etch is that he finally comes to his sense by the end of the season...  If that happens, we could be a real contender.

Last five weeks of the season will decide a lot.  Sure looks we will end up sitting and watching our fate be decided...

I would call next week a 'must win' - we can't be 'swept' against any team in the west this year.

sure you can, we've already lost the season series against the riders so if you're going to be swept by a team might as well be them. 

I think the unbalanced schedule is giving a lot of people a clouded picture of how teams stack up against each other. What we've seen from the 2 Rider and Bomber games so far is that there's not much to choose between the two just the Bombers came up on the wrong side of the scoreboard both times. Once the Riders play the Alberta teams things are really going to get interesting because I still say people under estimate the Riders based on the fact that they lost 2 games early. 

Chamblin outcoached himself early this season... I think he's calmed down a bit.  Same with Benevides.

Sask's receiving core in tact, Lulay back, Cornish playing lights out... if Reilly gets healthy, should be a great finish to the season

Well I for one agree on the Eskies being smoke and mirrors, they are all D and special teams. Their offense hasn't done much all year. In fact, their O is very conservative compared to the way the D plays. 

As for the Bombers -  I think 8 - 10 (I don't think they beat Hamilton in Hamilton). We are 3 - 3 since the start of the year - we won at least two games we had no business winning, and as has often been said, the season starts in the CFL AFTER Labour Day. In other words everyone usually starts rounding into form and everyone has a good read on everyone else in terms of schemes. I will say this though - the way the east looks, If I'm a Western team 4th in the West is the PRIME spot to get, even moreso than 1st. 

That's an interesting opinion... considering it has already happened...  ;)

Passing has been there whenever it has been needed. Compare the Riders passing against the Redblacks to the Eskimos (or Calgary for that matter).

The Riders are hugely dependent on the run for offensive production.  Even with the run game leaving opponents on their heels and giving Durant a huge advantage he is struggling quite noticeably.  The only good thing he's doing this season is protecting the ball reasonably well.

23 August 2014 - 01:52 AM

Now comes the western half of our schedule: 2 eastern teams, 7 games in our own division ...

I have us going 5 & 4 finishing 11 & 7 as follows:

10 Sun Aug 31 Winnipeg 0 at Saskatchewan 1

11 Sun Sep 07 Saskatchewan 0 at Winnipeg 1

12 Sat Sep 13 Winnipeg 0 at BC 1

14 Sat Sep 27 Hamilton 0 at Winnipeg 1

15 Fri Oct 03 Winnipeg 1 at Ottawa 0

16 Mon Oct 13 Winnipeg 1 at Edmonton 0

17 Sat Oct 18 Calgary 1 at Winnipeg 0

18 Sat Oct 25 BC 0 at Winnipeg 1

19 Sat Nov 01 Winnipeg 0 at Calgary 1 (unless Calgary is resting for the playoffs)

we manage 3 westen victories with one victory each against Edmonton BC & Regina but can not beat Calgary ... we will continue our domination of the east

I would be happy with with 4 or 5 victories in the second half of this turnaround year

Eskimos are massively overrated. Their defence is pretty good but their offence truly stinks. The way Reilly plays he won't have a long career either.

And the Riders aren't...?  You can't be suggesting the Riders are above Calgary when they barely beat the Bombers at the LDC.

I wouldn't hold my breath on anything changing. I can see us going 2 - 6 down the stretch mostly due to other teams have figured out our weakness.

I wouldn't hold my breath on anything changing. I can see us going 2 - 6 down the stretch mostly due to other teams have figured out our weakness.

I would think 2 & 6 is ridiculous ... if we start losing there will be several different types of changes made ... personnel, schemes, internal personal resolve ,,, we have a decent core of players on this team and excellent coaching plus a pretty good leader/QB ....calling for 2 & 6 says "the sky is falling"

You're pretty much on the money. If we TKO Sask'n this weekend that all changes but if we succumb to the riders for the 3rd time this year I can only see 2 more wins down the stretch --- thus 8-10 looms and I don't think that will get us 4th in west and the crossover. Unless BC collapses and goes 7-11 with Lulay still not right and Glenn having problems.

Must say I love how O'Shea protects his players.... almost indifferent to their weaknesses. At least in public. If he's like that behind closed doors we got problems!

I would think 2 & 6 is ridiculous ... if we start losing there will be several different types of changes made ... personnel, schemes, internal personal resolve ,,, we have a decent core of players on this team and excellent coaching plus a pretty good leader/QB ....calling for 2 & 6 says "the sky is falling"

I don't know man, of the west teams who can we beat....BC with Lulay?

You're pretty much on the money. If we TKO Sask'n this weekend that all changes but if we succumb to the riders for the 3rd time this year I can only see 2 more wins down the stretch --- thus 8-10 looms and I don't think that will get us 4th in west and the crossover. Unless BC collapses and goes 7-11 with Lulay still not right and Glenn having problems.

Must say I love how O'Shea protects his players.... almost indifferent to their weaknesses. At least in public. If he's like that behind closed doors we got problems!

We are going to be in tough this weekend because we've lost a couple of key pieces: Wild and Moore, and it looks like Sask will be in good shape. What is going to stop a replay? The additions of Romby Bryant and Kuale?

We are going to be in tough this weekend because we've lost a couple of key pieces: Wild and Moore, and it looks like Sask will be in good shape. What is going to stop a replay? The additions of Romby Bryant and Kuale?

Connect on a few of those deep passes or complete that endzone pass to Kelly and it's a very different game. Don't blow a coverage for a Rider TD and it's a different game. There's lots of things that can change the game. 

I don't know man, of the west teams who can we beat....BC with Lulay?

I haven't seen a Western team, that we've played, that we can't beat.

But haven't.

Well they did kick BC around pretty good, and BC is the only team to beat the Stamps so far so therefore the Bombers are really the best team in the CFL. 

There isn't a team in the CFL that looks unstoppable. Clearly the Stamps have played the most consistently well-rounded game but they are hardly steamrolling teams and have, at times, looked very beatable. Personally I don't think Edmonton are any better then the Bombers or Lions and could see the Esks taking a bit of a slide. Needless to say every game in the West is important.

• 2 weeks later...

0 - 2 for anyone keeping track, with Willy down 2 - 6 may not even be realistic anymore.

With all the other injuries and lacks on this team, Willy's return might make as little a difference as one more victory this year. What we are trying to avoid is a landslide of losses and attitudes like the previous couple of years. O'Shea's job is to make sure that every team we play has to work for any wins against us- no small task.