The Remaining Schedule: One Perspective

TrueBlue

At 6-4, Winnipeg is the only team in the West having played 10 games with 8 games remaining, 6 of which are against other Western teams.

vs SSK

@ BC, vs BC

vs CGY, @ CGY

@ EDM

East: vs HAM and @ OTT

In my opinion, 10 wins likely will get you at least 4th in the West. It's no secret that there is a well above average chance that there will only be two teams from the East making the playoffs, with a West team crossover.

Having said that, we have SSK this week at home and then away @ BC next week. We are likely battling BC for fourth, so our 2 remaining games against them are crucial.

Ideally, if we can snag a win this week and even if we lose one in Vanny the games against Ottawa and Hamilton which are back to back are going to determine if we need to steal a game from Calgary or Edmonton.

The most most important game on the remaining schedule is when we host BC October 25th. This will likely determine the season series who as victor will probably be the crossover team.

Beating Calgary at home in our final game may be a hard task considering Calgary will still be playing for 1st.

We finish the season with the bye, so I am hoping we've controlled our own destiny by then and are not having to watch by the TV hoping X and/or Y happen just to get in.

Whatever team that does crossover, it could get interesting.

Bombers already beat BC once and i think we match up well versus them, Beat BC the next time we play them and that's that really. Edmonton seems to be a bit of smoke and mirrors team themselves, they are undefeated vs the east like most of the west but... are only 2-2 vs the west.  Could have beat SASK twice so i'm expecting a banjo bowl win, hamilton? meh? ottawa? meh.. calgary? guess we shall see, stranger things have happened, argument could be made that since we beat BC and BC beat calgary that we might match up ok with Calgary. I do think Calgary is the class of the league but they do seem to fall apart at times later in the season. 

Edmonton doesn't appear as strong as they once did.  They have a decent defence but their offence isn't scaring anybody (especially with Reilly banged up).

Calgary and BC?  The way the Bombers played against the Riders I think they'll do alright.  With 8 games left I think the Bombers go 4 and 4 or even 5 and 3 (if they win the Banjo Bowl) if you take the tie-breaker with BC that is likely good for 4th.

Banjo Bowl is looking like a must win if the Bombers have any hope at the playoffs this season.

I disagree.  The Bombers have a 1 game advantage in the series on BC with 2 games left against them, 1 game vs Edmonton and 2 against Calgary.  Bombers have already lost the series to the Riders but are in the driver's seat against the Lions.  With all those West Division games left a loss to the Riders doesn't sink the Bombers.  Heck, a win at the Banjo Bowl puts the Bombers right back in the thick of things.

Banjo Bowl is looking like a must win if the Bombers have any hope at the playoffs this season.

I disagree.  The Bombers have a 1 game advantage in the series on BC with 2 games left against them, 1 game vs Edmonton and 2 against Calgary.  Bombers have already lost the series to the Riders but are in the driver's seat against the Lions.  With all those West Division games left a loss to the Riders doesn't sink the Bombers.  Heck, a win at the Banjo Bowl puts the Bombers right back in the thick of things.

BC has a much easier schedule in the second half of the season though, compared to the Bombers.

BC has a much easier schedule in the second half of the season though, compared to the Bombers.

Right now the Bombers have two games on the Lions (with the Lions having a game in hand).  With a Bomber loss this coming weekend the best the Lions can do is draw even with the Bombers (which leaves them a game back).  My point is there are far too many interdivisional games left and with the Bombers presently holding the tie-breaker over BC in their hands it is far too early to concede anything.

Well I for one agree on the Eskies being smoke and mirrors, they are all D and special teams. Their offense hasn't done much all year. In fact, their O is very conservative compared to the way the D plays. 

As for the Bombers -  I think 8 - 10 (I don't think they beat Hamilton in Hamilton). We are 3 - 3 since the start of the year - we won at least two games we had no business winning, and as has often been said, the season starts in the CFL AFTER Labour Day. In other words everyone usually starts rounding into form and everyone has a good read on everyone else in terms of schemes. I will say this though - the way the east looks, If I'm a Western team 4th in the West is the PRIME spot to get, even moreso than 1st. 

It is starting to look like 8&10 will be the likely record at the end of the season, and that means 2&6 for the rest of the year, so we'd better lower our rosy expectations of a month ago. Our weaknesses on offense and defence has been exposed and with the exception of Campbell in Ottawa, the opposing coaches are bright enough to take advantage of them. So, from here on in, there will be a lot of grumbling and complaining but we need to hope that O'Shea learns from his boo-boos and the talent on this team will continue to be upgraded.

Must win, if you want to try and keep pace with the Rider/Esks for 3rd or possibly 2nd.  Definitely not a must win for a playoff berth.  Sweeping the next two games against BC would go a long way to securing that.

I don't know that it is it's a game that would be nice to win but not a must at this point. Honestly I think the Bombers are better than the Lions and should be able to out duel them for 4th place at least. I think people prematurely jumped on the Riders for their early losses. The way it looks now is that they'll be battling the Stamps for top spot in the west. I think the Riders can beat Edmonton and further drop them down the standings, Calgary has shown twice now they can handle the Esks. I have no doubts that the Bombers are capable of beating the Esks, whether they will or not is another issue but that's one they really gotta put some effort into winning. Be nice to take one off the Stamps but that'll be a challenge for them. I think they can beat BC again. I don't think you will need the ridiculously high record like 10 or 11 wins to make the playoffs because I think there is going to be some seperation coming in the next month. get to 9-9 and I think you're pretty set for the playoffs. The west can't keep winning every week and after this week it will be easier to see where things stand. I think best case scenario for this weekend is seeing the Stamps at 9-1, the Esks and Riders at 7-3 and the Bombers at 7-4. That's what to cheer for in my mind. 

Calgary is the best team in the league right now, and in a category of their own.

Edmonton and Regina are the second tier teams and I expect them to fight it out for 2nd and 3rd for the rest of the season.

The third tier includes Winnipeg, BC and Toronto in my mind.  Our 2 games with BC will probably decide if we make the playoffs this year as the crossover team.

The bottom tier is Hamilton, Montreal and Ottawa.  One of those teams gets 2nd place in the east and 2 don't make the playoffs.

Calgary is the best team in the league right now, and in a category of their own.

Edmonton and Regina are the second tier teams and I expect them to fight it out for 2nd and 3rd for the rest of the season.

The third tier includes Winnipeg, BC and Toronto in my mind.  Our 2 games with BC will probably decide if we make the playoffs this year as the crossover team.

The bottom tier is Hamilton, Montreal and Ottawa.  One of those teams gets 2nd place in the east and 2 don't make the playoffs.

The Riders have yet to play either Edmonton or Calgary so I'm not sure that this statement can be made yet.  I think the Riders will beat Edmonton twice (at home) and split with Calgary so it may come down to point differential.

Winnipeg will edge out BC for fourth and the bye to the finals.

;)

The Riders have yet to play either Edmonton or Calgary so I'm not sure that this statement can be made yet.  I think the Riders will beat Edmonton twice (at home) and split with Calgary so it may come down to point differential.

;)

Calgary has shown excellence in all facets of football.  Until the Riders improve their passing attack, I'm with TBurg.

;)

Calgary has shown excellence in all facets of football.  Until the Riders improve their passing attack, I'm with TBurg.

If I recall the Stamps were excellent in the regular season last year too.

;)

Calgary is the best team, but Edmonton is right there with them. The first game was very close, and the Esks were without their starting qb for the 2nd game.

The Riders have to sit in 3rd until we see them play one of the top two teams.

Eskimos are massively overrated. Their defence is pretty good but their offence truly stinks. The way Reilly plays he won't have a long career either.

If I recall the Stamps were excellent in the regular season last year too.

;)

Now if we're turning this into a "who's going to win the cup" discussion instead of a "who's making the playoffs" discussion...

Y'know what?  If I was a gambling man, I'm putting down some money on Montreal and Hamilton today.  The odds must still be pretty fantastic, and neither team is truly as bad as their record indicates.  Montreal needs a QB and they may have found one.  Hamilton needs some health and to stop shooting themselves in the foot with stupid penalties, both of which can happen.  If I was looking to make some cash, this is not a bad season to play the long odds.

If I recall the Stamps were excellent in the regular season last year too. ;)

Now if we're turning this into a "who's going to win the cup" discussion instead of a "who's making the playoffs" discussion...

Y'know what?  If I was a gambling man, I'm putting down some money on Montreal and Hamilton today.  The odds must still be pretty fantastic, and neither team is truly as bad as their record indicates.  Montreal needs a QB and they may have found one.  Hamilton needs some health and to stop shooting themselves in the foot with stupid penalties, both of which can happen.  If I was looking to make some cash, this is not a bad season to play the long odds.

Montreal does have a great defence and some solid receivers but I can't see them getting three wins in a row with any QB they have on their roster right now. Hamilton? Collaros is still a wild card. Bet on the crossover team or the Argos because QBs are key in the playoffs.

The redeeming quality of Etch is that he finally comes to his sense by the end of the season...  If that happens, we could be a real contender.

Last five weeks of the season will decide a lot.  Sure looks we will end up sitting and watching our fate be decided...

I would call next week a 'must win' - we can't be 'swept' against any team in the west this year.

Calgary is the best team, but Edmonton is right there with them. The first game was very close, and the Esks were without their starting qb for the 2nd game.

The Riders have to sit in 3rd until we see them play one of the top two teams.

Eskimos are massively overrated. Their defence is pretty good but their offence truly stinks.

That sounds like a better description of the Riders, & I don't just say that b/c you're a Riders fan. Relying solely on the run won't work, imo, against the Stamps or Esks. Their passing game has to improve to beat either of those teams.

The Esks offense hasn't been that bad. Not great, but not terrible either.

If I recall the Stamps were excellent in the regular season last year too. ;)

Montreal does have a great defence and some solid receivers but I can't see them getting three wins in a row with any QB they have on their roster right now. Hamilton? Collaros is still a wild card. Bet on the crossover team or the Argos because QBs are key in the playoffs.

There's no denying these are long odds for good reasons.  But one of those two teams is making the playoffs and they both have a full half season to get better and sort some of these issues out.  And there is enough talent on their rosters to catch lightning in a bottle come November.  An 8-10 Stampeder team did it in 2001.

Not saying it's the smart money, just saying the odds of one of these teams winning the cup are probably better than what Vegas has them at, and if there ever was a good time to put $100 on a 2-7 team to win it all (there is probably never a good time for that) on what could be 50-1 odds as of today, this year might be that year.