Lawless: Trade Glenn January for Canadians

I'm not about to defend his entire body of work but I don't see why there is such a backlash about this article.

What I took away from it is that despite the recent success of the Bombers a long term vision is needed for long term success, which may mean trading a valuable International for a decent National on the OL (which is clearly not impossible, despite the opinions of some posters, given that, as Lawless points out, Hall and a pick were recently traded for Neufeld).

The backlash has nothing to do with the idea.... trading January for a starting Canadian O-lineman (or any position) would be fantastic.... problem is it's never, ever going to happen.... the most any team would give up for an American tackle in his 30s is a late round pick... I'd guess most teams would rather wait to see what shakes out of the NFL if they are looking to upgrade at import tackle...

And the circumstances around the Neufeld pick were completely different.... he was a back up (injured) with Sask and they would likely lose him to Ottawa since he wouldn't have been protected....whether Taman makes that trade or not Neufeld, is not on their 2014 roster... a tiny bit of research or just a basic memory coulda figured this out... 

"Walters needs to operate in a vacuum and external considerations be damned."

He's plagiarizing his own articles now.  He used the exact same sentence with Cheveldayoff's name last month.  Word for freaking word.

So how does his average evening go?  Does he back away from his laptop after writing this and think "Goshdarn I am so smart!"?  "Watch me enlighten the masses!"

Spending 2000 words stating the obvious doesn't make this any less stupid.  It sets a new standard for stupid.

Walters should also try and trade some beads and smallpox blankets for prime real estate if the opportunity presents itself.  External considerations be damned.

Injury and depth issues are the mother of necessity. When need overcomes value things sometimes happen

Yes, when need overcomes value you trade from a position of weakness and make a bad deal.

But you're right, that would qualify as something happening.

Injury and depth issues are the mother of necessity. When need overcomes value things sometimes happen

Yes, when need overcomes value you trade from a position of weakness and make a bad deal.

I believe he is referring to the needs of other teams.  In other words, nobody is falling over themselves trying to acquire January but if a contender loses two or three import OT's and the deadline is approaching... might be able to swing a deal that brings back more than January would normally be worth.

speaking of 'trade'... per Kirk, he heard the Bombers is shopping Suber.

He's had some of his best games against the Allouettes.  Maybe Popp will give us something for him.

Of course if it's not a starting offensive lineman with a Canadian passport, Walters failed.

External considerations be damned.

I believe he is referring to the needs of other teams.  In other words, nobody is falling over themselves trying to acquire January but if a contender loses two or three import OT's and the deadline is approaching... might be able to swing a deal that brings back more than January would normally be worth.

Based on previous posts I am unwilling to make that assumption.

I'm not about to defend his entire body of work but I don't see why there is such a backlash about this article.

What I took away from it is that despite the recent success of the Bombers a long term vision is needed for long term success, which may mean trading a valuable International for a decent National on the OL (which is clearly not impossible, despite the opinions of some posters, given that, as Lawless points out, Hall and a pick were recently traded for Neufeld).

My major problem with this article is that Lawless was sunshine and rainbows during our 3 game win streak, and after one clunker against Edmonton (which, by the way, every CFL team will put up at least a couple clunkers this year), we're overachievers that should expect to miss the playoffs.

Huh?  So O'Shea's leadership, the new players brought in, the new schemes instilled, and the general culture change will not amount to anything, and Lawless knows this already?  And Miller, Walters, and O'Shea are now working with different goals in mind?  Is Paul Robson calling the shots again?  The 3-1 record is a mirage, and Willy's outstanding passing games to start the year were anomalies?

Give me a break.  This article is complete horseshit.  Of course every GM looks to opportunities to improve Canadian depth.  But they look to win with the rosters they've assembled over all else.

We traded arguably the best defensive end in the league to the team hosting the Grey Cup in exchange for an injured backup Olineman.  And we had to give them our second round pick to make that deal happen.

It's still a win-win trade for the most part, but are they likely to be making that trade for an NFL bound player unless they are going all in on winning the Cup during their host year?  Significantly less likely.  It's moot; Hall is gone for both teams, they have the depth to replace Neufeld, they won the cup, we have a good enough but not great guard which still might be an upgrade from last year sadly.  But to completely ignore the context and circumstances that created this perfect storm for the trade to happen is foolhardy.  Which is exactly what Lawless is doing.

Here's what we could probably get for January - a backup Dlineman.  Something in the Ryan Lucas range.  So he'd play, and he'd help for sure, but he'd not solving any ratio issues for us.  And we still have to replace January.

"Walters needs to operate in a vacuum and external considerations be damned."

He's plagiarizing his own articles now.  He used the exact same sentence with Cheveldayoff's name last month.  Word for freaking word.

So how does his average evening go?  Does he back away from his laptop after writing this and think "Goshdarn I am so smart!"?  "Watch me enlighten the masses!"

Spending 2000 words stating the obvious doesn't make this any less stupid.  It sets a new standard for stupid.

Walters should also try and trade some beads and smallpox blankets for prime real estate if the opportunity presents itself.  External considerations be damned.

Yer on to him.  He's got a boatload of these articles already written, he was just waiting impatiently for the Bombers to turn the corner into familiar territory, which is his comfort zone.

I'm curious what Lawless would have said if we beat Edmonton last week. 

What will he say if we beat BC tonight? 

It's unfortunate that this is the type of stuff that gets out to the masses, someone said it best, lawless is no more than anyone of us on here, he just gets paid for spewing his crap, where we all do it for "fun". If we could trade January for a starting Canadian, i'm pretty sure we'd do it but reality is, not gonna happen. 

You know what the biggest problem Winnipeg in general has, sorry i should say the Winnipeg Sports Scene has in general, guys like Lawless.. Dude's pretty much trying to force Kane out of town with the Jets and has since he first got here and now, the bombers who are 3-1 and nobody expected that, if you said you did, you are fooling yourself cuz none of us expected them to be 3-1 after 4 weeks, hell 1-3 probably would have been the popular choice but 3-1 and now its time to blow it up and trade our "best" olineman, that's arguable in my opinion, he's our best International Oline, i'm not convinced he's our best Olineman though, I think Greaves is and i'm gonna say, Morley being more versatile (can play all 3 positions on the line, guard, centre, tackle in a pinch) are better overall... but what a crazy suggestion, 3-1 and it's time to blow it up. LOL.

No wonder players don't want to come here, no wonder coaches in the past have said thanks but no thanks to coming here, some like to blame the BOD and things like that, nah man, its the media for sure, nobody wants or deserves the crap that some of these media types spew about them. Our biggest problem here is the media, they are just lacking so much and look to sensationalize and look to just cause problems when really, there are none, (there are some but) like i said, we are 3-1, same number of wins in 4 weeks this year as we did all last season, we ain't gonna lose 15 in a row lol, the team has made progress, blow it up? isn't that what we did in the off-season? 

I'm still under the impression that if we went 18-0, won the grey cup then next season went 17-0 to start the season and lost our last game playing backups, that some members of our local sports media would find a way to crap on the team.

This has got to be Lawless's forum Nick.   

GET HIM BOYS!

alex hall was a dominant defensive end that makes a huge difference, so much so, you know how good hall is? he's currently in camp in the NFL...

January would not get you what alex hall got you, not in a million years, cuz regardless of what some think, January is not a dominant tackle, he's an average at best tackle... Listen, Glenn January the person, great guy, The football player though? He's really not that good, How many International Tackles are there in the league? Where does January rank on that list? If theres 10, i bet he's ranked 10th. Just saying. 

Alex Hall last season was arguable the best or 2nd best Defensive End in the league, Glenn January is not Alex Hall... Just cuz January has been here a long time doesn't mean he's one of the best tackles in the league, just cuz he's won "all star" awards or whatever, means nothing, wasn't jovon johnson an all star last season? 

The other side if... January and Morley have been the only constant players on our oline the last what? 3 4 5?? years, the oline hasn't been good in what? 3 4 5 years?

Maybe January and Morley to an extent are actually part of the reason why our Oline hasn't been that good. 

alex hall was a dominant defensive end that makes a huge difference, so much so, you know how good hall is? he's currently in camp in the NFL...

January would not get you what alex hall got you, not in a million years, cuz regardless of what some think, January is not a dominant tackle, he's an average at best tackle... Listen, Glenn January the person, great guy, The football player though? He's really not that good, How many International Tackles are there in the league? Where does January rank on that list? If theres 10, i bet he's ranked 10th. Just saying. 

Alex Hall last season was arguable the best or 2nd best Defensive End in the league, Glenn January is not Alex Hall... Just cuz January has been here a long time doesn't mean he's one of the best tackles in the league, just cuz he's won "all star" awards or whatever, means nothing, wasn't jovon johnson an all star last season? 

The other side if... January and Morley have been the only constant players on our oline the last what? 3 4 5?? years, the oline hasn't been good in what? 3 4 5 years?

Maybe January and Morley to an extent are actually part of the reason why our Oline hasn't been that good. 

No Jovon Johnson was a bust last year...hence why he is gone!

Ill give you morley but to suggest january sucks is flat out wrong.. American tackles dont last as long as he has in this league if they are bad or even average.. Average gets a canadian tackle the starting job where as to be an american tackle (especially one protecting a QBs blind side) has to be at least considered good.. I think your undervaluing the hell outta january..

Trade January for Canadians, Trade Willy for Americans, trade the Canadians for more Americans and then trade the more Americans for less Americans and then cut the Americans and trade the Canadians. Recipe for success.

Who are we getting from the Habs for January and what are we getting from Rochcester for Willy?

Trade January for Canadians, Trade Willy for Americans, trade the Canadians for more Americans and then trade the more Americans for less Americans and then cut the Americans and trade the Canadians. Recipe for success.

Who are we getting from the Habs for January and what are we getting from Rochcester for Willy?

I tell you who they're not getting. Someone named Stanley

/ohsnap