Jerome Messam signs with Riders

I agree with TLB that Messam at one point was of value to the Bombers.  His value however was in the offseason when the Bombers only had Ford (who was testing FA) and Volny.  Problem is Montreal didn't release him until June 15th at which point we had Cotton and Grigsby to test out.  They could have tried a trade with Montreal in the offseason but now you are giving up something of value in excahange for a guy that may or may not work out and doesn't play ST.  Since Grigsby is playing lights out right now and he's not even our starter I think they feel pretty safe at that position.  If Grigsby and Cotton were both duds and we were banking on an injured Ford and just Volny then Messam would be in the cards for Walters.  They have already shown that even after a win they are still on the hunt to improve this team.  

Simply put, Messam is National depth and offers "another" solution to ratio issues the team is currently facing.  The Bombers seem to ignore available high caliber National talent when it comes available and than struggle with the ratio when a starter goes down. It has nothing to do with "who is the best RB".  If they build up a stock pile of good nationals it would increase their possible solutions now and more so in the future.  This is what Calgary and Sask. have done to build successful teams and it seems to work.  There are only a handful of good National RB's in the league and like him or not Messam is one of them.

I think I've read this somewhere before...

Simply put, Messam is National depth and offers "another" solution to ratio issues the team is currently facing.  The Bombers seem to ignore available high caliber National talent when it comes available and than struggle with the ratio when a starter goes down. It has nothing to do with "who is the best RB".  If they build up a stock pile of good nationals it would increase their possible solutions now and more so in the future.  This is what Calgary and Sask. have done to build successful teams and it seems to work.  There are only a handful of good National RB's in the league and like him or not Messam is one of them.

High caliber National talent wouldn't sit idle for a month and get essentially cut by 3 different teams.  Messam had a great run in 2011, but he brings nothing to a football team when he's not carrying the ball, and he's not quite good enough to be an every down back.  Pontbriand is a more valuable player.

I don't think the Bombers are struggling with the ratio when they are about to play 3 IMP OL.

I'd still take him over Volny...

Volny is cheaper, a great st player and effective in his limited.reps..

Messem is expensive, doesnt play ST and would probably not agree with the lack of touches... We would probably end up witha canadian banks scenario...

Cant really explain it any better..

Really can't figure out why the ire being directed at the bombers

here..

The reasons people are bringing up are more then valid as to why he wasnt worth the risk and yet people are still saying "but hes a great NI back!.." Is he? Has he been since 2011? Nope. Ka he better then our 3rd stringer? Nope.

Not to mention his pass protection is no screaming hell either..

coupled with high cost and lack of ST play... Can someone please explain to me why we are dumb for not signing him? Other then "cuz hes canadian and he helps our ratio duh!" As thats simply not the case..

Really can't figure out why the ire being directed at the bombers

here..

The reasons people are bringing up are more then valid as to why he wasnt worth the risk and yet people are still saying "but hes a great NI back!.." Is he? Has he been since 2011? Nope. Ka he better then our 3rd stringer? Nope.

Not to mention his pass protection is no screaming hell either..

coupled with high cost and lack of ST play... Can someone please explain to me why we are dumb for not signing him? Other then "cuz hes canadian and he helps our ratio duh!" As thats simply not the case..

giphy.gif

You guys keep re-hashing the same old tired arguments against Messam that hold no ground over and over and over.

why don't we just see how he does in Calgary first.

Behind the oline in Sask he should do fine. And if he does you won't hear the end of the "see this is why we should have signed him" yet we will never truly know how he would have looked in blue and gold and based on all the reasons above I'm glad we won't :)

Behind the oline in Sask he should do fine. And if he does you won't hear the end of the "see this is why we should have signed him" yet we will never truly know how he would have looked in blue and gold and based on all the reasons above I'm glad we won't :)

I figure after the Riders get tired of him, Huffer will give him a shot to replace Cornish if/when he can't return thanks to his beheading by Hebert. Will we want him? I hope not.

Messem is expensive, doesnt play ST and would probably not agree with the lack of touches... We would probably end up witha canadian banks scenario...

Your explanation is wrong on many fronts.

Statistically, Messam is the better special teams player.  Volny had 2 special teams tackles last year which is the same number as Messam had.  Messam also had a kick return and Volny had none.  Neither is a special teams ace. 

Volny had 3 carries for 5 yards last year.   His career total is 39 yards.  He's also got 48 yards in receiving and he's got fumble problems.  So no, he hasn't been effective in his limited reps.  

Messam had 121 carries for 565 yards last year.  His career total is 1882 yards.  He's also got 698 yards in receiving.  The difference is hugely in Messam's favour.

Messam is more expensive because he's worth more than Volny.  

Sask/Cgy/Mtl all thought Messam was worth a look.  Wpg didn't.  That's the reason he's not here.

zzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry, I had a crumb or something on my keyboard.  I could have deleted that, but it seemed kind of appropriate.  At some point someone was going to sign Messam and all the same garbage from the original thread would be hashed out again.  Maybe we'll get to hash it out a third time when the Riders cut him.  (just kidding, they won't cut him until the offseason)

And by the way, in a league where Canadians and quarterbacks are gold, how long did Messam stay available?  Collaros was a free agent for all of 1 day.  Burris for 4 days.  Shea Emry - 1 day.  Messam?  23 days.  And then added to Saskatchewan's practise roster.

And did you hear?  Calgary "kicked the tires".  I've never heard of such a ringing endorsement!  They considered him, but apparently they weren't going to go as far as offering a prestigious practise roster spot.  Sometimes you just can't compete with those crazy perks the Riders throw out willy-nilly.  The only way the Stamps could top a practise roster spot is by offering Messam a 51% stake in the team, and even that might not be enough.

Of course if the Riders do it, it must be good.  And if the Stamps considered it, it must be good.  After we stupidly cut Gerald McRath, the Stamps picked him up just to reinforce how bad our personnel decisions are.  Now he's lighting it up for them!

wait.  wait.  I've just been informed they cut him too.

No matter, Walters is clueless.  Doesn't he understand that Messam is Canadian?  And was really good 3 years ago?  We considered him and passed on him, bunch of losers that we are.  Not like that winning organization, the Stamps.  Who considered him and passed on him.

I understand why it's difficult to accept that adding a player, who has a singular ability that is greater than that singular ability is in the player we already have, doesn't always equate to making a better team.  And I understand why it might be difficult to understand that poorly constructed sentence.  And if we had more NI depth, taking a gamble on a player who is entirely one-dimensional might be an experiment we could try on the 44 man roster.  Right now this team doesn't have a margin for error.