CFL Week 3 Winnipeg vs Montreal Preview

With the conclusion of this last week, we now embark on the road to play one of our good old former east rivals, the Alouettes.

On paper, our team should be able to finish em off quickly, clearly we know who the better QB and better offense is in general coming into this game.  But matchups aren't won on paper.

That being said, even though Montreal's offense is anemic, their defense has been pretty good.  BC is looking bad this year sure, but that Montreal defense was holding the Stampeders' potent offense in check most of that game too.  Apart from that one bomb caught by Mo Price, that Calgary offense was having trouble moving the ball and sustaining drives, so this Als defense is nothing to take lightly.  Plus the injury to greaves is concern for us.  I'd expect the Als to attempt more rips and stunts again this week up front and we're going to have to be ready for those.

In the end I think we'll win this but I don't see it being another offense shoot the lights out game.

I've got:

Winnipeg 25

Montreal  19

I'm worried about how our offense will match up with their defense but I expect our defense to have a big day against Troy Smith.

I'm predicting Winnipeg 24 Montreal 16 with the difference being a touchdown that isn't scored by our offense.

do or die, on 06 Jul 2014 - 6:47 PM, said:

gbill2004, on 06 Jul 2014 - 6:37 PM, said:

Willy is going to penetrate the Als D with deep and powerful thrusts all night long, leading to victory.

Which is why we have to keep him away from the strippers, the night before. ....

Yup I've heard those women over there are quite delicious to the eye.  Lol

While I do see the humor in this, I'm gonna say that there is an element of truth in it as well that you gotta beware of if you're the players.  If you go into Montreal on vacation mode, thinking it's just a day in the park, you certainly are gonna walk into a den of angry bears.  Those who think this Montreal defense is one that you can just play pitch and catch on all day while being laxidasical in the approach is sadly mistaken.  I fully expect John Bowman, Chip Cox, and company to be looking to play physical and try and force turnovers off of us to try and help their offense out, so we had better come into this game looking at them as a team that we got serious business to deal with.  If we do that, I think we come out with our heads up high.  If not, we're gonna be bound for disappointment.

I'm glad the Bombers have had the experience of playing Toronto and Ottawa to this point, because they are going to see a combination of both defense's in Montreal.

They've seen pretty much everything already, and handled everything pretty well.  The big thing against Montreal will be avoiding turnovers, especially ones that give them points.

The joker in the deck is the performance of whomever replaces the steady Chris Greaves. Bowman looked awesome last game and the Montreal defence will have to carry the game for them, if they hope to win. Troy Smith looked a lot better in his second outing, but he admitted that reading CFL defences is still a struggle for him, so Etch's random guidance unit defence ought to really get him confusicated. Bombers 28, the Larks 13.

I'll concede that Troy Smith looked better in week 2 but let's be clear here - he still looked piss poor. Their offense scored ONE touchdown and he still completed not much over half his passes. I'm not impressed with Smith at all.

It's been a while since we've been able to say that we clearly have the better QB going into a game.

I'll concede that Troy Smith looked better in week 2 but let's be clear here - he still looked piss poor. Their offense scored ONE touchdown and he still completed not much over half his passes. I'm not impressed with Smith at all.

It's been a while since we've been able to say that we clearly have the better QB going into a game.

He only looked better because he had a nice lead and only tossed 5 yard passes.

Even if Brohm started I'd still favour the Blue by 10.

I think with Willy we should be able to easily win... I'd think it would be 28 - 12 type of score.

Montreal's defense will be on the field for a long time.

Yeah Smith only looked good in the context of his previous game. He still couldn't hit a target down field with any kind of reliability. They worked a lot of short passes and relied on the receiver or whitaker picking up first downs. 

The concern with Montreal is that their defense appears to be pretty solid. 

Based on the first two weeks worth of games, Willy ought to be rated (arguably) no lower than the third best QB in the CFL.

Based on the first two weeks worth of games, Willy ought to be rated (arguably) no lower than the third best QB in the CFL.

Some people think that Mike Reilly is a star QB... :D

Aside from Durant & Ray who would you rather have than Willy? I'd pick a healthy Lulay but we may never see that again. Burris & Glenn with one ring in about thirty years combined? No thanks. I like Reilly, I like Collaros and I like BLM but I'm riding with Willy over any of them. Although, I will say that BLM probably has the best CFL career out of the bunch when all is said and done. But for right now(and the next couple of years ) Drew Willy is the man.

I was one of the people who originally preferred Collaros, and I will say I'm not sure the Bombers strong play will hold up all season but I do know that we have a legit starting QB.

Troy Smith sucks. LOL, for some reason i get the feeling the bombers win this one handily, things could change depending on who starts in place of greaves but... Right now, without really knowing that, i'm gonna say 38-20 bombers. Als score a late td to make it closer than it appears, Troy Smith barely completes 50 percent of his passes, i think if we can game plan to stop whittaker, 38-20 might turn in to 40 + - 10.

I just don't think troy smith can beat us by throwing the ball, It's all about if the bombers can stop whittaker, if they can, i expect to see several interceptions by the bombers and several over throws by smith. Stop Whittaker and we win this one easily. If he is allowed to gain yards, i really don't know. I dont think montreal is very good, i actually think they are one of the worst teams in the league actually. Good D yup but that offence is terrible and if you can game plan to stop whittaker, you should be able to beat montreal every week. 

I fear this game. Bombers are riding pretty high and think their stink don't smell.

However, not having Greaves is a big loss. Watson is also still tub-thumping. 

Goose was getting himself manhandled a bit when filling for Greaves so I suspect Bombers will move Morley out to guard and let Goose snap. Doesn't bode well as Morley is mighty slow.

Als are figuring out ways to win with a mediocre QB. But T. Smith is still dangerous with his legs and bombers etch-a-sketch d can be vulnerable.

Blue have to do what they've done before. Stay fairly disciplined (under 10 penalties), stay tough on teams, run the ball hard (even if our o-line won't be creating many holes for our runners and don't let T Smith burn us with many big-gainers. If we do that we may be able to eek out a W.

But all things being equal I suspect we'll rack up our first L - 

Als 27

BB  23

From what I saw late last game, they moved Neufeld to LG, Morley stays at C, and put Goosen at RG and the protection got better from there.

I got a feeling that's what they gonna do this week or Swiston at RG instead, and Goosen stays as the #6 OL.

Alouettes pass rush is going to be a huge factor in this game.  Everything hinges on it.  If our OL gets manhandled like BC's... we'll be in trouble.  If MTL gets up early, Troy Smith will be running the low-risk read option/screen pass offense all game.

If our OL can protect well, Willy should be able to operate and get us an early lead, and Troy will be forced to throw downfield.  It'll be a romp for us if that happens.  One of those games that I don't think will be close... it'll be won by 10+ either way.

Montreal's D gets underestimated a bit - Thorpe is a good DC but actually a bit aggressive/all or nothing like Etch

Same deal as usual - need to get to Whitaker early and help out Bucknor vs Chad Johnson

Good challenge for the coaches to keep this team from taking Montreal lightly.

Still, Burris avoided 2-3 sacks last game just by willpower alone and threaded some long passes to save drives - Troy Smith is not Burris.