Hawkins Fired In Mtl, Popp To Take Over As Hc

Fraser

Calvillo wasn't happy that he wasn't putting up gaudy stats and was more than ready to throw a new head coach under the bus.

2-3 isn't terrible and should have been expected coming out the gate with a new staff .. new system. There were going to be struggles. Hawkins really wasn't given a chance to work through them.

I used to have a lot of respect for Calvillo. But this season he's been acting like a punk. He did throw his coaches under the bus. Now he has Jim Popp. No improvement there.

I don't blame him at all. He went from having incredible protection to literally getting destroyed on the field. At times its been obvious that he was taking matter into his own hands and calling his old plays, then offense looked good for a while. Heck, even Payton Manning whines when he gets hit too much.

It is all on the new HC, if he tried changing Calvillo's game in any way at this point(which he obviously did), than he is an idiot and deserved to get canned. Calvillo isn't tthrowing anybody under the bus, Calvillo is a CFL Legend at this point and if he is getting messed with he deserves to be pissed.

i never read it as AC throwing his coaches under the bus.

he said that the coaches, players and fans have to do better (they were doing the typical Montreal thing of booing the hometeam at the first sign of adversity). he didn't single out anyone, he said they were all (including him)  to blame.

I don't blame him at all. He went from having incredible protection to literally getting destroyed on the field. At times its been obvious that he was taking matter into his own hands and calling his old plays, then offense looked good for a while. Heck, even Payton Manning whines when he gets hit too much.

So, now we know His Royal Majesty His Royal Highness Anthony Calvillo can't handle losing. He should grow a set & be a leader. Nope, to me he's being a punk. Character really comes to play when you're losing. Easy to be a winner.

You should give him the respect he deserves, enough with this royal majesty crap.

Really? That's your opinion. Not mine. I used to give him a ton of respect but not anymore. He hasn't done  anything to earn my respect this year. I lost most of it this season. Maybe Hawkins was struggling & the wrong choice but he did his best to cut his HC legs off at the knees. You'd think a 20 year veteran would be part of the solution & not part of the problem.

Madani: Hawkins hire was doomed from the start

Hawkins was the wrong hire from the beginning. He demanded to bring his own coaching staff, outside of veteran CFL assistant Noel Thorpe — who had already been hired to run Trestman’s defence before the Bears came calling.

None of Hawkins’s hand-picked guys had ever coached a down of Canadian football. His offensive coordinator, Mike Miller, lacked imagination. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/madani-hawkins-hiring-was-doomed-from-the-start/

According to the Montreal media, Popp hired most, if not all, of Hawkins assistants.

So, now we know His Royal Majesty His Royal Highness Anthony Calvillo can't handle losing. He should grow a set & be a leader. Nope, to me he's being a punk. Character really comes to play when you're losing. Easy to be a winner.

It's not just losing and you bloody well know it. He went from running a high octane attack to literally getting killed on the field.  

It's not just losing and you bloody well know it. He went from running a high octane attack to literally getting killed on the field.  

So what? Is it ordained that he'll win every year? Imagine having to actually work for a win instead of believing other teams will just lay down for you. Cool down, bro. Watch your blood pressure. ;)

Ain't that the truth. This season the Als have given up 18 sacks already and if they continue at that pace they'll give up 65 compared to just 30 last season. AC has been taking a beating out there.

Ain't that the truth. This season the Als have given up 18 sacks already and if they continue at that pace they'll give up 65 compared to just 30 last season. AC has been taking a beating out there.

Lots of qbs take beatings & shut up. Getting upset at his OL, just how does that play with his teammates & help the Als win? Getting angry out on the field & when there's a busted play & pointing to a receiver, how does that help the Als win? Having his hands in the air in a WTF pose, how does that help the Als win? Calling out his HC & OC publicly, how does that help the Als win? Being pissed off sitting alone on the bench not communicating with anyone, how does that help the Als win? Sorry, 20 year vet doing all that??? He's a diva. You don't think Popp talked to him before Hawkins was fired??? I would be shocked if AC didn't know this was coming doawn before Hawkins was canned. Time to retire. Let him try coaching.

Hawkins will only have success in non-AQ NCAA football where intimidation still works as a motivator. Not a pro coach, not even a great college coach and a ridiculous hire.

4 straight WAC championships, 2 times WAC Coach of the Year, 5 Bowl games. Boise State had never finished in the Top 25 before Hawkins got there. He's not a bad college coach at all. Mostly he's known for 2 things - the famous "It ain't intramurals" speech and the collossal meltdown vs Kansas that got him fired from Colorado.

The chemistry rumblings were the downfall there and it sounds like Hawkins put in a lot of tweaks to the old Trestman system instead of just adding a few pages like they requested. I'm a little surprised they kept Miller around in any capacity but maybe his contract works better to hold him in town rather than buy it out.