Closer Look at Canadian Depth

Atomic

If the season started today... Here are 21 roster Canadians, plus the guys competing for a spot, and injured players.  Really hope we can get some guys healthy.  The 12 day break should help.  That 7th starter spot would probably still be a competition between Carter and Renaud.

Starters

1.  Chris Greaves

2.  Cory Watson

3.  Patrick Neufeld

4.  Steve Morley

5.  Matt Bucknor

6.  Jake Thomas

7.  Brett Carter

Backups

8.  Matthias Goossen

9.  Paul Swiston

10. Teague Sherman

11. Louie Richardson

12. Derek Jones

13. Taylor Renaud

14. Carl Volny

15. Rene Stephan

16. Quinn Everett

17. Mike Cornell

18. Michel-Pierre Pontbriand

19. Carl Fitzgerald

20. Mike Renaud

21. Lirim Hajrullahu

Others

Dale Stevenson

Injured 

Julian Feoli-Gudino

Rory Kohlert

Aram Eisho

Donovan Alexander

Jesse Briggs

Dan West

Graig Newman

Ryan Lucas

Does this list include all of the NIs currently on our camp roster, or did you make some cuts?  I think I see all of the names.

We're not going to land any starters, but if we can get one decent Dlineman and one decent Olineman out of other teams scrap piles, and some healthy bodies out of our injured list, our situation becomes significantly less dire.

Keep in mind we were not going to be cup contenders even when Lucas and Newman were healthy.  Competitive and building.  Not a great slogan, but if that is what this team is in 2014, they will have achieved the goals I have for them.

I believe this includes everyone.  If it doesn't then I made a mistake somewhere.

Getting back at least one of Kohlert or Julian Feoli-Gudino before game 1 is critical.  I'm sure we are watching out for any stray Canadian receivers and defensive linemen that shake loose from other rosters, too.

I believe this includes everyone.  If it doesn't then I made a mistake somewhere.

Getting back at least one of Kohlert or Julian Feoli-Gudino before game 1 is critical.  I'm sure we are watching out for any stray Canadian receivers and defensive linemen that shake loose from other rosters, too.

Please don't let it be Etienne who becomes available and gets picked up by the Bombers.

Please don't let it be Etienne who becomes available and gets picked up by the Bombers.

Are you kidding?

Can you imagine the battle for jersey #88 between he and Brett Carter?

Blowing-Wind-bw+2.gif……….who can blow whom over first?

Someone who has more time and patience then i do should post who the starters and backups of other teams are.. or who are projected to be starters and backups. Little comparisons never hurt, i know our non import depth (not calling it national) is weak but compared to other teams, how bad is it, i mean i know the ticats have loaded up on non imports and calgary is solid, what about others though? Edmonton for example, BC, Ottawa, Montreal with them losing emery even. 

The Bombers biggest issue is that they lost one of their top guys at a position that it's not usual to have a NI in. If you can insert Muamba back into the middle of the defense it looks a lot different. Losing 2 of your last 3 top picks to the NFL when you're trying to rebuild your depth isn't helpful, especially when in the last couple years you've lost your best NI to retirement and your next best to free agency. 

If a good receiver kicks loose we should grab him, but when healthy I don't hate the group of NI receivers we've assembled.  Watson is really our only name guy, but as a platoon the other 4 should get some yards for us too.  There's some good hands in this bunch from what I've seen so far.  4 fair to decent guys and 1 will-be-an-allstar-if-he-stays-healthy guy should be enough for this team to look elsewhere for NI repairs.

We need another NI to rotate on the Dline.  Oline needs are in case of injury.  Dline needs are for our gameday roster in week 1.  High priority.  I'd add linebacker to that but I just doubt anyone good enough to play important defensive snaps is going to kick loose.  Dline is a possibility.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, a month ago... I don't think any of us would have guessed that...

- Teague Sherman would be getting fairly regular starting reps at LB

- Watson injury wouldn't sewer the offence...  JFG looking very comfortable, and very Watson-like

- Thomas fitting in fairly seemlessly on the DL

- Morely would instantly turn into a fairly dominant OC and Pencer would be dumped in TC

As for the rest...

Bucknor gets picked on but we expected that - still, he hangs in there and doesn't quit - Alexander has to win his job back imo

Goossen looked 'decent' being thrown to the wolves at LG

West playing very well on ST, same with Jones

LH is money

Kyle Walters' scouting crew is starting to look pretty impressive actually...

Floyd I definitely do agree; many were saying that the scouting team didn't do a great job but many of those names that we thought were not great are starting to step up.  The team is coming together and hopefully we can continue to play at this level.  I'm loving the atmosphere that Walters has created.