Gary Lawless on Bombers roster

Lawless is well connected (especially with Walters) so thought this was an interesting take in what we might see from the Bombers roster. From today's Free Press:

One thing is certain in Bomberland these days and that is that very few incumbents should feel comfortable about their job security.

Returning players such as running back Will Ford and punter Mike Renaud are clinging to their jobs, and the message around training camp is very clear: produce or pack.

Competition, a sense of urgency and productivity were all areas Bombers GM Kyle Walters placed a premium on when he put his training-camp roster together, and there is no entitlement among the players working for spots with the Blue Bombers this summer.

Want to play for coach Mike O'Shea? Then be at your best and show it on a daily basis.

The early returns at camp are showing a number of new faces will be holding down starting jobs when the Bombers open the season on June 26 against the Toronto Argonauts.

The Bombers travel to Calgary to meet the Stampeders on Saturday night, and the final game of the pre-season will provide one more chance for players looking for full-time work to show what they can do.

Here's a look at some key players that are on the verge of securing starting positions and some surprises that have turned heads and can use Saturday night to create headaches for Walters and the coaching staff when they make their final decisions:

QUARTERBACK

The starter

Drew Willy: He's separated himself from the group and proven he's ready to start. Willy has shown he's steady and poised. Calm is a word that's been heard from the coaching staff and teammates. He has worked hard to grasp the playbook and his strength is his decision-making.

The surprise

Robert Marve: The best arm in the bunch. He'll get another look on Saturday but he's a lock to hold down the No. 3 slot. Max Hall and Brian Brohm will fight for the No. 2 spot to provide some stability and insurance should Willy get hurt. But don't be surprised if Marve is the first off the bench when the Bombers need a change of pace. There's more upside in Marve while Hall and Brohm appear to be best suited as backups.

WIDE RECEIVER

The starter

Nick Moore: Simply the best in the bunch. Polished and accomplished, Moore has 80 catches and 1,000 yards written all over him. He's a hard worker and is driven to succeed. In a word, he's professional. A great get for the Bombers.

The surprise

Donavon Kemp: Saturday's game will be his opportunity to win a job. Made a pair of great catches, including a long, over-the-shoulder beauty against the Argos on Monday night. He's opened some eyes, now he needs to close the deal.

RUNNING BACK

The starter

Nic Grigsby: Smooth, tough and great in pass protection. Polished and deceptively fast. He's stepped in and shown he can carry the load.

The surprise

Paris Cotton: Maybe a little too small to be the every-down back, but a classic scatback with all kinds of speed and game-breaker potential. Can return kicks and might prove effective catching the ball out of the backfield.

OFFENSIVE LINE

The starter

Patrick Neufeld: Came in and proved he could start. Has been versatile and can play a number of spots along the line. Has the potential to blossom into a reliable and efficient Canadian starter. So far, so good, and he's earned a spot in the first unit.

The surprise

Matthias Goosen: The question will be when the coaching staff is ready to put him into the fire. He's shown he can handle the job physically and mentally. Now he needs real-live reps. Goosen is a football player and could be the best of this bunch in time. The coaches will need their hand forced either by Walters to live outside of their comfort zone or have an injury hasten his arrival. Goosen is going to play and he's going to start. It's just a matter of when.

DEFENSIVE LINE

The starter

Greg Peach: His name keeps popping up in Mike O'Shea's press briefings and he's best described simply as a "football player." Always moving and working and producing. Peach will be one of the leaders with this unit and has quickly become an important figure in the evolution the Bombers are trying to enact.

The surprise

Jake Thomas: Has taken advantage of the opportunity opened up by Ryan Lucas's season-ending injury. Works hard and has shown the ability to learn. Can physically handle the workload and seems to have taken a big step forward in the opinion of the coaching staff.

DEFENSIVE BACK

The starter

Chris Randle: Comes to work, shuts down receivers, says nothing, goes home. Physical, tenacious and a dream to coach. If Randle stays healthy, he'll make his side of the field a tough place in which to complete passes.

The surprise

Demond Washington: His maturity has caught up with his talent. A bit of a problem child the last couple of years, all that seems to have been erased, and the word around the locker-room is Washington is ready for more work and responsibility.

LINEBACKER

The starter

Ian Wild: First to work in the morning and last to leave. If he's not in the film room, he's in the weight room. Loves the game and the action in the heavy-traffic areas. Gets to the ball and delivers a wallop. An old-school linebacker with a new-age approach to training and preparation.

The surprise

Graig Newman: Earned his way into the league as a special-teams player with the Saskatchewan Roughriders but is now ready for a bigger role. Understands the Bombers' defensive scheme and has the athletic ability to succeed. He's earned the gig, now let's see how he performs once the grind of the season begins.

KICKER

The starter

Brett Maher: Went 2-for-2 kicking field goals with a long of 47 in the pre-season game against the Argos. Also had a 44-yard average over seven punts. Maher is an American, and the only way he stays is if he can win both jobs, and right now, things are headed in that direction.

The surprise

Lirim Hajrullahu: Lots to like about this Canadian rookie and he can do both jobs. Incumbent punter Mike Renaud has a back injury and it might cost him his spot. Money and a Canadian passport might tempt the Bombers to go with Hajrullahu to handle all the kicking duties. Keep an eye on this fight.

Just finished reading the article on the Free Press site, decided to come here and see if there was any discussion on it yet. I thought it was well balanced (not negative) but nothing that hasn't already been discussed here. It is reassuring to hear such high praise for guys like Peach and Thomas, Monday had me a little worried about the D-line but I am a little less concerned now. Well, concerned less about the people, the scheme still has me nervous.

What I found most interesting is that Neufeld sounds like a lock to start at either RT or RG. Based on practice and preseason reps, that wasn't as clear. Also seems like a decent chance Maher wins the kicking battle. In my opinion I still think we go with Renaud and Hajrullahu.

Nice to hear Jake Thomas has taken a step forward and is ready to start in the coaching staff's opinion.

Also interesting is that Lawless has Grigsby as the starter ahead of Cotton. Everything I've seen would suggest Cotton is ahead of Grigsby on the depth chart, but like Gary says it could come down to size; Cotton and Ford are similar types of backs...perhaps Ford is out of a job?

Good article. The sad reality is the bomber roster does not cut the mustard for a winning CFL record. Just too many guys who are too slow, too weak, too un-disciplined.

Walters & O'Shea are madly scrambling to replace B- starters with B- to B replacements so the difference on paper will be massive (almost an entirely new roster) but the on-field differential will be small. I'm glad they finally cut bait on a couple more Joe-Boys in Pencer and Robertson. Neither seemed destined for football mediocrity. I suspect Tyson will catch on with a local bar as a hulking security boy. Nobody cares about Robertson. Just another overated piece of garbage that Mack got sucked into drafting. 

Like what I'm seeing in no longer 'protecting mistakes'. But still lots of work to do. New hires and personnel won't start showing results for at least a year. 

This is truly a rebuilding year.

"Paris Cotton: Maybe a little too small to be the every-down back, but a classic scatback with all kinds of speed and game-breaker potential. Can return kicks and might prove effective catching the ball out of the backfield."

This could've been the exact scouting report on Charles Roberts when he first came here... 

I'm not a fan of Ford.  But I'm fast becoming a fan of Cotton.  Grigsby looked alright out there, but Cotton impressed me.  And as a rookie he's got nowhere to go but up.

I also think they should take a chance on Lirim.

Just finished reading the article on the Free Press site, decided to come here and see if there was any discussion on it yet. I thought it was well balanced (not negative) but nothing that hasn't already been discussed here. It is reassuring to hear such high praise for guys like Peach and Thomas, Monday had me a little worried about the D-line but I am a little less concerned now. Well, concerned less about the people, the scheme still has me nervous.

I agree.

I generally don't mind negativity, as long as there is some substance behind it.

Some interesting thoughts in there.  When I think of who is the most OShea like player on the team it is probably Greg Peach.  Nothing fancy but a lot of hard work and using his smarts to be in position to make plays.  And as for bringing it every practise and every game, will Korey Banks' "saving it for the season" approach find him on the outs?  I have my doubts but he'd better demonstrate hustle and hunger over the next week.  I don't see Marve high on the depth chart to start but he may be the first development guy we've had since McManus who is actually worth developing.  Huge upside physically and talent wise.  Now if he can pick up the CFL game over the course of a season, he could be a very nice roster piece.

In general the last half dozen or so seasons have demonstrated that predicting a final roster based on who the scribes highlight as keepers is a low percentage play.  Will wait and see.

i liked Cotton. but i would take Lawless' opinion of him being too small under advisement.

some smaller backs have great careers (Pinball, ChuckBob)... others have great starts but their bodies just can't hold up to the pounding (Kack).

i liked Cotton. but i would take Lawless' opinion of him being too small under advisement.

some smaller backs have great careers (Pinball, ChuckBob)... others have great starts but their bodies just can't hold up to the pounding (Kack).

Serious question... how many runningbacks can actually carve out long careers? Seems to me that if you get 3 years out of a runningback you're ahead of the game already and it doesn't much matter about their size. They are simply put the easiest position to recruit players for because there's so damned many of them kicking around. All I really care about from that position is who is the best guy? Size be damned put the best player there and worry about longevity in the future. If the guy can't last more than a couple seasons just go down to the pound and pick up a new running back. 

Serious question... how many runningbacks can actually carve out long careers? Seems to me that if you get 3 years out of a runningback you're ahead of the game already and it doesn't much matter about their size. They are simply put the easiest position to recruit players for because there's so damned many of them kicking around. All I really care about from that position is who is the best guy? Size be damned put the best player there and worry about longevity in the future. If the guy can't last more than a couple seasons just go down to the pound and pick up a new running back. 

very true.

but then, having one that is more likely to break on you mid-season can have dire consequences. (like Kack did to us last year then came back from injury and broke again finishing his career and taking away our running attack and chance to ice our lead in the 2nd half of the EDF).

I feel like Lawless got a lot of this info direct from the Bombers.

Grigsby might be great in practice, but he was horrible in the game.  He showed no ability to read zone blocking and find the gaps, make a quick cut, hit the gap and get yards.  Other than one big run where he got around the edge, he did squat.  Cotton was consistently grabbing 6 yards, finding the gaps and fighting through contact behind the same OL in the 2nd quarter.  Cotton showed the ability to grind out yards, as well as hit big runs.

very true.

but then, having one that is more likely to break on you mid-season can have dire consequences. (like Kack did to us last year then came back from injury and broke again finishing his career and taking away our running attack and chance to ice our lead in the 2nd half of the EDF).

you gotta stop talking about Kackert like he was that good though, man you argo fans over rated that guy. 

I would be happy to see the Bombers go with Cotton but would like to see them keep Ford around as backup and to step in to a two back set on occasion as well.  Both are dynamic backs and exciting kick returners.  Grigsby doesn't seem to have the same explosiveness as the other two.