The TV Thread

I never read the books so the TV show is all new to me.  I generally dislike fantasy.  I hated Lord of the Rings (boooooooring) and Hobbit and that crap.  But I do like GoT.  Although the "kill all the favourite characters for shock value" thing has worn off.  I assume (hope?) they pull a "Walking Dead & Glenn" scenario with Jon Snow.

Getting into possible spoiler territory (you have been warned!), there could very well be a couple "Glenn" scenarios.  

One of the things the show has always done when they kill off a major character is they make 100% sure you know the character is dead (Eddard, Joffrey, Robb etc)... they didn't do that with Jon or with Stannis last season so there is speculation that both return.  Jon's "death" was the cliff hanger in the book as well so nobody is quite sure how that plays out but Stannis is very much alive at the end of the last book so that's why people are thinking Brienne might not have killed him (they show her swinging her sword but you never see his body).

I never read the books so the TV show is all new to me.  I generally dislike fantasy.  I hated Lord of the Rings (boooooooring) and Hobbit and that crap.  But I do like GoT.  Although the "kill all the favourite characters for shock value" thing has worn off.  I assume (hope?) they pull a "Walking Dead & Glenn" scenario with Jon Snow.

That's mostly a show thing and I ******* hate it. The show missed the point of Ned and Robbs death entirely and opted to just try and continually shock people with meaningless deaths. Serious season 1 was good because it was pretty faithful but season 2 on they just butchered it. Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit are boring as **** books and hardly a representation of current fantasy. Show only watchers are missing just about everything that makes the books great. 

That's mostly a show thing and I ******* hate it. The show missed the point of Ned and Robbs death entirely and opted to just try and continually shock people with meaningless deaths. Serious season 1 was good because it was pretty faithful but season 2 on they just butchered it. Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit are boring as **** books and hardly a representation of current fantasy. Show only watchers are missing just about everything that makes the books great. 

I disagree, I've read the books and love the show, sure they've changed things, but the only thing that really bothered me this last season was the Sansa story line. It didn't make much sense to have Sansa switch with Fake Arya (Jeyne) and also mix in a bit of Lady Stoneheart. Although, in fairness to the show, I'm sure budget plays into some of their decisions. I also thought they did a pretty good job with Ned's death and what it meant, unless you talking about the "promise me Ned" visions, which I'm sure they took out so that people don't figure out who Jon Snow is in Season 1. Robb's death, I agree, seems like they just wanted shocked value. I actually think the show did a better job overall last season than Martin did with books 4 and 5, I struggled to get through those 2.

As for the teaser, I think it's hilarious how hard they're pushing Jon Snow and how people still don't seem to understand that he's 100% dead, but............................... Melisandre came back right before it happened for a reason and you know, Jon is a very important character, because of who he is and what he represents. It should be noted that Mr. Martin has said, Jon, Daenerys and Tyrion are the most important characters, so yet another hint about Jon's death.

The book laid out pretty clear what was happening with Jon. The entire Melisandre chapter said it explicitly and the prologue happened for a reason

Yes, I know. I was talking about the teaser and show specifically.

So are you telling me Jon lives?

He's dead as of right now. I'll leave it at that.

• 2 weeks later...

I got around to finishing Jessica Jones last week, pretty solid but yeah if you're squeamish about stuff it might be hard to watch and it's dark as **** but a good watch I thought. I liked it better than Daredevil, but maybe that's because I didn't really like the actors in Daredevil where as I thought Krysten Ritter did a real good job in this show. 

I was bored on Sunday and looking for something to watch, so I decided to start streaming the 90s classic NYPD Blue, from the beginning. I know I watched it back then, but it's obviously been awhile, and man does it ever hold up. I'd forgotten just how great Dennis Franz was in that role...

I was bored on Sunday and looking for something to watch, so I decided to start streaming the 90s classic NYPD Blue, from the beginning. I know I watched it back then, but it's obviously been awhile, and man does it ever hold up. I'd forgotten just how great Dennis Franz was in that role...

Is it on Netflix?  I never did watch it....

Anyone looking for an old series to watch, I suggest X-Files, to prepare for the relaunch.  Its a tough commitment.  A few years ago, when Californication debuted my gf fell for David Duchovney and admitted she had never watched X Files.  So I bought the series (and films) and we watched the whole thing.  Great series.

Is it on Netflix?  I never did watch it....

Anyone looking for an old series to watch, I suggest X-Files, to prepare for the relaunch.  Its a tough commitment.  A few years ago, when Californication debuted my gf fell for David Duchovney and admitted she had never watched X Files.  So I bought the series (and films) and we watched the whole thing.  Great series.

Nah, using TVMC (formerly XBMC) to stream....

Ooooo portrait, sounds classy

I havent been getting hooked on anything lately, if anything been slacking on my tv viewing.  though I did try out the 2 episode kick off for the expanse on space with thomas jane, pretty much only cuz it was called Game of Thrones in space by one critic... not sure how i feel after the 2 episodes, though was surprised they started a "talking dead" type show after it called "after the expanse" already.  guess they are really banking that this series will take off hard

Why?

I assume old episodes of Full House on Netflix were well watched.  Thus, the reboot.  I bet it does well and will be rather cheap to produce.

There was talk of Netflix being interested in Star Trek for the same reason - they have very detailed information on their viewership which showed Trek reruns were very popular.  One of the benefits of the Netflix model is how much information they can get from their viewership.