The TV Thread

• 1 month later...

for those who have or do, im about 3 episodes into better call saul if you havent watched it but did breaking bad its must watch

Just getting into Better Call Saul.  I watched the 1st episode when it came out and wasn't overly impressed so I didn't watch anymore.  I started running out of shows to watch without the wife so I decided to give it another shot and I'm glad I did.

New season of Orange is the new black comes out tomorrow for those interested.

Big time.  Took me about three episodes to appreciate it.  But damn, its a great series.

Also True Detective 2 airs this weekend (or next, cant remember, I think next after GoT ends).  The gf LOVED Season One but is very sour on 2 as she dislikes every one of the leads...lol  I on the other hand and very excited to see Vince Vaughn, Collin Farrel and Rachel McAdams.  I think they will all surprise and impress.  Vince is under-rated and type cast and this is an opportunity to show another side.  McAdams could be the weak link.  She was always the "promising actress" and then time moved on and she never really became an A-lister but I adore her.  She will be good.

Edit to add: Has anyone watched Aquarius?  David Duchovny playing a 60's cop on the trail of Charles Manson?  Im not glued to it yet and only watched the first episode (others are on DVR) but it certainly has a cool style and great soundtrack.

Speaking of which, Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are now in Vancouver and filming the X-Files revival.  CANT WAIT!

i just binge watched orange is the new black season 1 and 2, and literally stopped on episode 3 of season 3, and jumped series now i just finished all of season 1 of Hannibal and am on episode 4 of season 2

Why?  Is it because, what I feel, Season 3 of Orange is awful??  It took me three episodes of season 1 to really get into it and then I was hooked.  Season 2 was can't miss...binged on it.  3...it's been a struggle to keep watching and it's only been three episodes. 

tbh, it also took me a few episodes to get into it,  but it became more about the back stories (which some feel werent fully explained like red, crazy eyes as examples) then the alex/piper stuff. And they are still milking that 3 seasons later. I joking called it chick oz the other day, and rightfully so although a bit more satire, but the thing with Oz was while you could have several story lines, some taking spotlight for an episode or 2, or 3, or 4, they didn't dwell on it for too long. The fact the show itself is centered around Piper Chapman is its achilles just as much as it was its initial point of interest. it was kind of funny to see a clueless blonde waltz into a federal prison,  but that's worn off and now its just bland.

My dad is a guard at stoney and he watched the first episode with me where you see Laura Prepon's   boobs,  and i jokingly said aren't you disappointed you didn't opt for being a CO at the women's prison in Edmonton (as he had to spend his first 2 years working in Grande Cache Alberta before transfer) he said hell no. In fact most people don't want to work women facilities cuz they are known to be crazier than mens. This show's appeal for a while was its clever humor, but with a lack of that and stalling storyline, they need to get crazy. Like more of how season 2 ended. 

I took a break and watched Hannibal's first few shows and got hooked quick, now im caught up and waiting for episode 3 of season 3 ironically lol\

to that back story point, season 2 was heavy with it giving you insight into the rest of the inmates, more so then season 1 which was more flash backs centered around Piper and her past with alex and the current spiral with Jason biggs character. I found season 2 MUCH more interesting/entertaining to watch because of that,  much more Oz like imo

tbh, it also took me a few episodes to get into it,  but it became more about the back stories (which some feel werent fully explained like red, crazy eyes as examples) then the alex/piper stuff. And they are still milking that 3 seasons later. I joking called it chick oz the other day, and rightfully so although a bit more satire, but the thing with Oz was while you could have several story lines, some taking spotlight for an episode or 2, or 3, or 4, they didn't dwell on it for too long. The fact the show itself is centered around Piper Chapman is its achilles just as much as it was its initial point of interest. it was kind of funny initially to see a clueless blonde waltz into a federal prison,  but that's worn off and now its just bland.

My dad is a guard at stoney and he watched the first episode with me where you see Laura Prepon's   boobs,  and i jokingly said aren't you disappointed you didn't opt for being a CO at the women's prison in Edmonton (as he had to spend his first 2 years working in Grande Cache Alberta before transfer) he said hell no. In fact most people don't want to work women facilities cuz they are known to be crazier than mens. This show's appeal for a while was its clever humor, but with a lack of that and stalling storyline, they need to get crazy. Like more of how season 2 ended. 

I took a break and watched Hannibal's first few shows and got hooked quick, now im caught up and waiting for episode 3 of season 3 ironically lol

I agree with you.  The Piper perspective quickly gave way to a more ensemble cast that I found interesting.

I had read they wanted to be "lighter" this season than last and I find that to be a huge mistake.  I think they are trying too hard to be funny.  I also dont buy the Piper/Alex relationship much.  I know Prepon was not available as much last season but they got her as a regular this season so it seems like they are forcing ways to make her a lead.  To me, the relationship ran its course.

My favourite character is Dogget.  I think she's the most interesting and she's funny without being forced in a har har har sort of way.  Nikki might be the lone bright story in the three episodes I've seen so far.  I hope it gets better.   It not, you might see them go back to darker, more serious stories next season.

I worked with female youth prisoners for awhile and obviously its not the same as Orange but it was interesting to say the least.

"sense 8" on netflix….. is outstanding.

Interesting.  The concept seems cool but haven't heard a peep about it. 

Can't wait for True Detective.  Game of Thrones was pretty good this season; I thought it flowed well.  The actress who plays Danearys is pretty terrible though.  Hot, but not a great actress.

I had completely forgotten about Hannibal, but yeah, excited for the new season. 

"sense 8" on netflix….. is outstanding.

Interesting.  The concept seems cool but haven't heard a peep about it. 

Can't wait for True Detective.  Game of Thrones was pretty good this season; I thought it flowed well.  The actress who plays Danearys is pretty terrible though.  Hot, but not a great actress.

I had completely forgotten about Hannibal, but yeah, excited for the new season. 

Im not sure about Emilia Clarke.  She is hot, as you say, but I hope she has broader range than has been required in GoT's since she's going to be a staple of the Terminator Franchise for awhile.

Ill give Sense8 a shot.  I thought it was from the Orci/Kurtzmen partnership so was avoiding it, but its from the Matrix guys.  Interesting...

i liked her naked in season 1, so i cant knock her totally but I think i have more issue with the character and not a whole lot of depth/range, she seems too much like a push over for who she is and where shes come from to get to where she is, and if anything seems to be regressing and is becoming too passive/submissive to others again considering her role. 

my issue with GoT tho isnt so much the characters or acting but the storylines horribly slow pace. giving 4 storylines (sometimes 5) an equal time share per episode (so 15 minutes each or less) isnt enough to progress the story at a steady pace. other then really the final episode of season 5, are they any further along then the end of season 4? I was told the writer is now in write as you go mode whereas the other seasons were pre-written, if this is how it is and will be here on *yawn*  i compare it to Randle's lord of the rings impression in Clerks 2

I think giving 2 storylines an episode split each so 30 and 30 would serve the show better then such small pieces once a week imho

Yep, Game of Thrones and True Detective are the best shows going these days. Not sure what the criticism of Emilia Clarke is all about, I think she plays the part perfectly.

It's not so much criticism, as everyone (around me, not on MBB specifically) loves her and I'm just tired of her blank stare all. The. Time. I don't get the love. It's just my personal opinion, man.

Taynt, I hear ya on the slow pacing. I loved the last couple episode of season 5 but for the most part it felt like 8 episodes of build up for one massive pay-off. But I don't put all the criticism on the show's writers. They did a great job of cutting out a lot of the monotony from the books.... The number of storylines running by book 5 is staggering and half of them feel totally superfluous.